Sturm: Is there an NFL player with more at stake in 2018 than Dak Prescott?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is there an NFL player with more at stake in 2018 than Dak Prescott?

By Bob Sturm 5h ago

Many​ NFL​ players have a lot​ on the line this season.​ Their team’s fates rest on their ability, as does​​ their own earning potential.

But could there possibly be a player in the NFL with more on the line than Dak Prescott as the quarterback enters his third year?

If there is such a player – especially one who holds one of the league’s 32 starting QB spots – then his identity is not coming quickly to my mind.

Sure, Joe Flacco and Eli Manning could be on their last legs, but with their career stories written and all of those amazing checks cashed, their respective legacies are essentially guaranteed.

Yes, Andrew Luck is one of many who could use a big retrenching year, but still, the Colts aren’t going to give up on him.

There are also younger QBs who will be expected at to deliver the goods – looking at you, Baker – but their organizations will surely allow the calendar to move well into 2020 before they go in yet another new direction.

But here is Dak Prescott. A guy who has been in the league for two years and has largely exceeded the bar of any young QB on a team that has won 22 of the 32 games he has started in the regular season. He has lost his only playoff game, but played incredibly well but was beaten by a Hall of Famer at the final gun.

As Prescott enters his third campaign, you could paint two wildly different scenarios that both seem plausible. He is either:

A) Less than 12 months away from being the next $100 million dollar QB and locked into the Cowboys’ starting QB spot until 2023 or 2024 at well over $20m per season.

B) Entering the 2019 training camp with the knowledge that the Cowboys drafted his potential successor with a premium pick that April, and now he must compete for his own job in his final year under contract.

That contract, by the way, pays him about $630k in 2018 and $720k in 2019. It’s great money outside the NFL, but you should know that the Cowboys pay their long-snapper LP Ladouceur over a million a season to do his job. So Prescott makes almost nothing in this NFL world. Even if this was all I used to make the claim that he has more on his shoulders than any other player, it would seem enough. His career earnings will be well under $3m as a four-year starting NFL quarterback. There is no greater bargain. But if he has a poor 2018, the Cowboys will have plenty to ponder about whether they want to get married and pay him the going rate of a veteran NFL starting QB.

But there is so much more than the money at stake. There is the noise. The noise of not being Tony Romo, that is screamed continuously by large swaths of the fan base. Incidentally, it is true. Prescott is not Romo and that will not change. He is a different QB with different pros and cons and honestly, aside from being players that the Cowboys found on massive discounts, they don’t have a whole lot in common. Romo was great and led this team well for a long time, but never had to take a meaningful snap until his fourth season. Prescott has never been involved in a regular season game as a professional in which he didn’t start. Romo had to follow a several-year gap since Troy Aikman was the last Cowboys hero.
Prescott had to run onto the field where Romo still laid injured.

There is also the ever-present component of Prescott being an African-American QB in the middle of the latest Jerry Jones public stance over the National Anthem and how “America’s Team” will handle it. Prescott is caught in the middle and hearing from both sides how he should feel — and then subsequently act — because of who he is and what that means. This dilemma does him no favors, only amplifying the pressure and noise that he deals with on a daily basis. Both sides of this polarizing issue want Prescott to respond to their wishes and to do it now. And if he doesn’t, he will be in big trouble with that group and their agenda. Oh, and if he remains somewhat neutral, he will get verbally beaten up for that, too.

Oh, and then this: Ask Aikman or Romo or Roger Staubach or Danny White how hard the job itself actually is. Being a starting QB in the NFL is a nearly impossible job. Doing that same job in the uniform of the legends that came before you cranks up the degree of difficulty substantially. You are on a short leash and if you don’t deliver trophies, you will never be fully embraced. Heck, you could argue that Tony Romo’s public approval rating in this city skyrocketed the season he stopped playing. I might put forth the idea that he has never been more popular with Cowboys fans than he is today — partially because he is not the starting QB anymore, and they can remember him for the good times and wash away the bad as someone else’s fault.

Let’s simplify by asking the following basic question: Is Prescott the future of the Dallas Cowboys at the QB position that will help them compete for a trophy during his time here?

To me, the answer very likely comes down to this season.

In 33 starts as the Dallas Cowboys’ QB, it is easy to argue that Prescott has exceeded all expectations by several miles. But if that is true, why are so many Cowboys fans unimpressed and seemingly open to the premise that the team should continue to shop for their next QB?

Let’s suggest for a moment that it all comes down to last season. I don’t think it does with many, because the popular fan theory that that gets emailed to me all the time is that Romo should still be the QB and was healthy enough to take his team back in November of 2016. Under this hypothesis, if he was given that team back, he surely would have taken that 2016 squad to higher heights than Prescott and maybe even a Super Bowl. And, if that happens, he is still the QB in 2017 and, yes, today.

I find this a preposterous premise based on the condition of Romo’s spine and the regularity of his catastrophic injuries speeding up to an absurd pace from 2014-2016, but sometimes a theory doesn’t have to make sense for it to gain speed with the populace. Why would Jerry Jones be in a big hurry to push Tony Romo to the curb when he loved Romo more than any GM should ever love a player? That has never been fully explained, but to that corner of the fandom, this theory seems to have already assigned two strikes to Prescott.

Romo’s greatest attribute was his ability to raise the team up a level when things weren’t always right. So, in 2017 when Ezekiel Elliott’s suspension kicked in, the referendum on Prescott was ready. Could Prescott save the season and make all the plays needed to cover for Zeke?

As you know, those next three games – against Atlanta, Philadelphia, and the Chargers on Thanksgiving, were absolutely some of the worst offensive performances in Cowboys history. Tyron Smith also was absent, which is a massive deal that some forget, but the offense was so bad that they didn’t score in double-digits in any of those games and lost by an almost-comical combined score of 92-22.

Prescott was beaten up, shaken, and frankly looked like he lost all confidence without his two best players. The coaching staff offered no real assistance and the offense looked like that of an expansion team. They eventually broke out of it and salvaged important wins in succession against Washington, New York, and Oakland without Zeke. But once the Seattle game was lost – for a whole list of frustrating reasons – the focal point returned to the QB. If Dak is so great, why didn’t he save the season?

I was able to talk with Prescott this week about that stretch of games and whether the punishment of all of the sacks and hits were an additional challenge as well as an experience that could ultimately be a positive learning trip and his responses were very similar to what we have come to expect from him: “I was able to come out of that physically okay but I learned from it. That’s exactly what that was, twelve hard days — I mean twelve days that I will remember for the rest of my career because I think it taught me a lot that’s going to be able to shape up everything I need and teach me a lot going forward in my career. You take it for what it is, you learn from it you continue to push forward and that’s what I’ve been able to do.”

We went on to discuss the moment he knew that the slump was turning back around and he responded, “Once we just kinda got back going I mean it was a deal within the team. The team had a different vibe and the team had different chemistry when we came out of it and Coach Garrett did a great job of having a team meeting saying, ‘Those twelve days weren’t the best twelve days of us individually and collectively as an organization as individuals and as a team.’ We’re going to push that behind us and we’re going to move forward and we’re going to show everybody in the country exactly who we are each and every day and just earn it and start over. Basically just having to hit the reset button and do that.”
He says all the right things. He almost always does the right things. He is Central Casting’s version of what a QB is supposed to be. But can he be the QB who battles Carson Wentz for years to come?
Let’s look at some important information. First, the fascinating statistical profiles of Wentz and Prescott. This is kicking around the internet and I wanted you to see it here:

Now, these numbers are all objectively accurate as a two-year comparison. They don’t indicate a few important things – foremost among them that Prescott undeniably was better in his first year than in his second, and Wentz was undeniably better in his second year than in his first.

The graphic also does not indicate the important factor that there may not be any humans on the planet that felt Prescott was as good or better than Wentz on draft day of 2016. It does not indicate that Wentz was the #2 overall pick and is paid an average of $6.7 million a season on his rookie deal while Prescott was pick #135 and is paid an average of $680,000 a season.

It also does not measure their level of supporting casts, injuries, opponents, or head-to-head battles. All it does do is it makes a case that statistically, Prescott and Wentz are not far apart at all. That said, two years later, it would appear that there are still very few humans on the planet who feel they would rather have Prescott than Wentz.

The Eagles have a QB with superior pedigree and superior perception in the league. He is the QB of the defending Super Bowl Champions – a title which they won with him in street clothes. As they say, it is what it is.

But the Cowboys have their own young QB who appears to have some very strong attributes and performances already in the bag. Surely, that is worth plenty.

Now let’s talk about this:

IMPORTANT NOTE: In the last eight games, Elliot and Smith played only three snaps together.

People say the Cowboys offense was bad in 2017. They are only half-right. The numbers on the left detail their effectiveness in Games 1-8 and those on the right paint a picture of Games 9-16. Those league rankings seem to indicate that for the entirety of 2016 and the first half of 2017, you could argue that the Dallas Cowboys were a Top-5 offense and they were doing it with a mid-round baby QB who was making less than a long-snapper. Big spoiler here: if you have a top 5 offense for a year-and-a-half, there is nothing wrong with your QB.

Was Prescott the bus driver or was he the MVP? Was he the reason for the success or was he only a part of it? I mean, wasn’t he the beneficiary of a great OL and an awesome RB? It honestly sounds like the chicken-or-egg conversations of Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman. But none of us cared, because both offenses were winning more than two games for every game they ever lost. In fact, the actual win-loss record over those 24 regular season games was a ridiculous 18-6. Any QB in league history would take that, much less one Dak’s age

What happened in those last eight games? Please review the note in bold: In the last eight games, Elliot and Smith played only three snaps together.

Do you think that losing the best running back and the best left tackle in the industry might affect the outcome of games (and the performance of a QB) in a league where the slimmest of margins matter? I do.

But let’s see if the stats tell a similar story. Here are the four eight-game spans of the Dak Prescott era:

YearGamesCompAttComp %YdsPass TDIntPass RateSacksRun YdsRun TDsTotal TDs
2016Gm 1-816524866.5%2020122104.211125416
2016Gm 9-1614621169.2%1647112105.714157213
2017Gm 1-816325962.9%181816497.910195420
2017Gm 9-1614523162.8%150669742216228

Look at the passing touchdowns, passer ratings, sacks allowed, and total touchdowns!

Might we politely suggest that it is rather clear which of the four half-seasons were played without Zeke Elliott and Tyron Smith? Doesn’t that half-season look like a complete anomaly and perhaps the target of “one of these things is not like the others?”

Now let’s look at those same four half-seasons with Prescott’s league rank in those periods.

YearGamesYdsPass TDIntPass RateSacksRun YdsRun TDsTotal TDs
2016Gm 1-817th12th28th4th25th10th1st11th
2016Gm 9-1621st14th25th3rd17th6th3rd11th
2017Gm 1-819th5th22nd12th27th6th1st3rd
2017Gm 9-1622nd25th3rd40th4th9th2nd22nd
Career17th13rd24th11th15th10th1st9th

Again, assuming you want high rankings in all categories but interceptions, Prescott is in the top half of the league in most important categories and top-10 in fewest interceptions, rush yards, rush TDs, and total touchdowns (passing + rushing) from a QB.

In other words, if getting the team into the end zone is the job of any QB, he is doing that as regularly as almost any QB in the industry. He sits ninth there. Those ahead of him and his 57 Touchdowns produced in two years? Here is the full list.

Drew Brees – 64 (age 39)
Philip Rivers – 61 (36)
Tom Brady – 60 (41)
Aaron Rodgers – 60 (34)
Kirk Cousins – 60 (29)
Russell Wilson – 59 (29)
Ben Roethlisberger – 58 (36)
Matt Ryan – 58 (33)

Just two of those eight are under 30 and both turn 30 this fall. Prescott is 25 years old.

Also, despite producing 57 touchdowns, he has a running back in Elliott who leads the league in touchdowns with 22. No other QB on that list has a runner taking away so many touchdowns — or even one ranked in the top-5. Dak’s RB scores the most – which you think would cost Prescott from being on this list. But it doesn’t.

Let me show you one more thing before I conclude. After the Kansas City game last year, I became very interested in how the first 24 starts of Dak Prescott compared with other quarterbacks starting their first 24 games from a standpoint of most touchdowns and fewest interceptions. It is one thing to make big plays if you are also making big plays for your opponent. Peak Prescott was not doing that. He was making big plays and avoiding negative ones. So my friends at STATS, INC showed me a few things:

So this shows that in the history of football, Prescott had the best TD/INT ratio of any QB ever. EVER. And by a very considerable margin at 6.1:1. That seems really good.

And then this one, too:

This one is not tied to a ratio, but to the number of overall touchdowns produced by a QB. Prescott is “only” seventh all-time, but look at the company he keeps. Look at the quality. Look at the first-round picks. Look at the Hall of Famers.

My conclusion is pretty simple: I have no idea where Dak Prescott’s career is going and neither do you.

But his first two chapters are undeniably great. Whether you like it or can explain it away in some sort of reductive way, Prescott’s career is off to a phenomenal start. If the 2016 draft was reset, he would still be taken behind Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and several others. But, he would move way up the list and be a top-10 pick. Prescott has played historically well through 2016 and 2017 and the timing of his speed bump was not a coincidence. It took place when his two best teammates went away and his coaching staff went out to lunch, too.

He probably will never be Staubach, Aikman, or even Romo. But, doggone, is he better than most seem to realize through his first two seasons – all as a fourth-round compensatory pick.

This is a massive year for Prescott, and I admit that if my theory is wrong and he continues to play poorly with Zeke and Tyron back, then next spring they will have some very difficult decisions to make. He will have every right to a big contract if he plays well and the bidding starts at the Derek Carr deal (5 years/$125 million). Considering how every QB deal appears to exceed the next, even that might not be enough.

This is quite a season for the young man. He must do some things better. He must push the ball down the field, but continue to make smart decisions. He has no shortage of doubters. But, perhaps this exercise has allowed you to notice that so far, his report card has very impressive grades on it. He has done things that were thought impossible for a young QB – let alone a fourth-round guy you drafted to hopefully someday be a good backup.

Now you see that he has put his team in the end zone more times than any QB under 30 (by November)? Was he spending those two early seasons of his career figuring out the league or was the league figuring out him? Will he get better with age or will he be an odd foot-note in history? Literally, every possibility is still in play for Dak Prescott and the Cowboys.

It remains up to him and this offense to show us where the story goes next.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He has been very good for what he is, notwithstanding the obvious speedbump that was the result of the loss of his RB and LT, but let me point out some things here, also:

Again, his yards per game. They are way down in comparison. And you can't say "it's because the run game eats up all his yards." No, not really. If you knocked 20 yards per game off our rushing attack, which would bring it down to 12th, and added them to our passing attack, it would only bring us up to 20th in passing offense. Also belying this argument is that we were merely 14th in total offense (yards and points, each). So there is room for improvement, but rushing scoring was already 3rd and rushing yardage was 2nd. Passing yardage and scoring is what needs to improve, and is way sub par right now.

Also, he compares his stats to Wentz, and notes that they are equal in volume, but doesn't note that Wentz essentially missed 4 games with an injury.

Notably, he points out that Prescott kind of cratered in the first three games without Elliott.... but remember that our rushing yardage when Elliott was out only fell from first to second, and rushing scoring from second to third. So it's not like we were devoid of any rushing attack during that time. Prescott just played poorly.

He points out the real conclusion: None of us know where his career is going at this point. He's been good, but I think Sturm misses the mark by placing him in the company of greatness. He's been tremendously efficient especially in terms of running an offense that puts up points (which, obviously, is the end goal), and in terms of keeping his turnovers down. But at the same time, Prescott is very obviously not the catalyst for the ball movement himself, which bodes poorly for the day that he will be called upon to do more heavy lifting himself.... like when his massive contract extension comes around and we can't afford the same supporting cast. I reiterate my position that to be the franchise QB capable of winning in the playoffs, he MUST begin to be more of a passing yardage accumulator.

vince

Not So New Member
This will be a defining season for him. If he doesn't perform, we'll be drafting a QB high next draft.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This is another example of what I wrote about this morning in the training camp thread regarding the Cowboys settling for average coaching.

Dak has shown that he can play in this league at a high level. Unfortunately the Cowboys haven't done him any favors since the end of the 2017 season. Most teams who have a young QB who they believe is their long-term franchise QB, will do their best to surround that young QB with all the tools to succeed. They'll bring in experienced backup QBs, experienced position coaches, etc. Dallas has done the complete opposite.

I know Ace and others have pointed this out repeatedly.

Because of this I have my doubts that Dak will play up to what we saw in 2016.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That is true. Hey, have a young QB who needs experience and guidance?

Have 29 year old Kellen Moore, who has never coached before at all and has less playing experience than Prescott does! At least the offensive coordinator likes him!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'll say this much, if Prescott stagnates or gets worse over the next 2 years there is no way Garrett should be the one in charge of developing/designing a system for what would presumably be a top 10 pick at QB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is another example of what I wrote about this morning in the training camp thread regarding the Cowboys settling for average coaching.

Dak has shown that he can play in this league at a high level. Unfortunately the Cowboys haven't done him any favors since the end of the 2017 season. Most teams who have a young QB who they believe is their long-term franchise QB, will do their best to surround that young QB with all the tools to succeed. They'll bring in experienced backup QBs, experienced position coaches, etc. Dallas has done the complete opposite.

I know Ace and others have pointed this out repeatedly.

Because of this I have my doubts that Dak will play up to what we saw in 2016.
If you replace Goff or Wentz with Prescott I don't think you'd see a significant difference either way, whether it was Prescott with the Rams, Wentz with the Cowboys, Goff with the Eagles, etc.

That could certainly change as the years go on and players continue to develop, but in terms of what we've seen over the last 2 years I don't think there would be much difference.

Right now many would say that McVay and Pederson are two of the best play-callers in the league and I think that has more to do with them and less with Goff/Wentz single-handedly lifting those teams up. They're both obviously very good QB's but given how productive the Redskins were with McVay calling plays and of course how Foles played in the playoffs I'd put it more on play-calling/scheme design than just pure natural ability at QB.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Have 29 year old Kellen Moore, who has never coached before at all and has less playing experience than Prescott does! At least the offensive coordinator likes him!
This is the aspect that is insane to me. Just stunningly dumb.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you replace Goff or Wentz with Prescott I don't think you'd see a significant difference either way
This in no way is possibly true.

Wentz and Goff are much more accomplished passers and it showed last year big time and will continue to be shown this year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Agreed, this is really lame. This is a case where the player is more important than the OC's need to develop cronies to teach his offense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Wentz and Goff are much more accomplished passers and it showed last year big time and will continue to be shown this year.
Wentz had a lot of things go right for him last year. I truly believe that if Wentz stays healthy the Eagles don't have a ring. It took a very focused coaching effort and a miracle game from Nick Foles to beat the Patriots. Definitely don't see Carson Wentz pulling that game out of his ass to win it.

Goff had an outstanding WR corps last year. Let's see if he can improve in year three, but it's hard for me to picture.

Dak has the rare leadership capability and maturity that give me hope he can become a better passer.

But Dak's WR corps has to get better in a hurry.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Sure, sure, and we'll just write off Goff's 2016 and attribute his 2017 success to natural progression and ability, whereas Dak's 2017 (last 8 games) is 100% his fault and has nothing to do with stale play-calling or offensive scheming.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sure, sure, and we'll just write off Goff's 2016 and attribute his 2017 success to natural progression and ability, whereas Dak's 2017 (last 8 games) is 100% his fault and has nothing to do with stale play-calling or offensive scheming.
We've already had this discussion, and you are wrong.

Yes, year-to-year progression for a rookie to second and then third year is natural and expected.

But both Dak's rookie, and second year PRE-SLUMP numbers, are not good enough for more than "bus driver" status because he's not proficient at moving the ball through the air.

You can throw out his entire second half slump, if you want to, though that would be stupid because there is definitely something about his own play to be read into it, but even if you do, you still are left with a QB who needs improvement.

It's the epitome of homerville to say that Prescott is the same as Goff and Wentz, which is why you'll basically only find that opinion on a Cowboys message board from the most homeristic posters.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We've already had this discussion, and you are wrong.

Yes, year-to-year progression for a rookie to second and then third year is natural and expected.

But both Dak's rookie, and second year PRE-SLUMP numbers, are not good enough for more than "bus driver" status because he's not proficient at moving the ball through the air.

You can throw out his entire second half slump, if you want to, though that would be stupid because there is definitely something about his own play to be read into it, but even if you do, you still are left with a QB who needs improvement.

It's the epitome of homerville to say that Prescott is the same as Goff and Wentz, which is why you'll basically only find that opinion on a Cowboys message board from the most homeristic posters.
We've already had this discussion and you are wrong.

Hmm, funny how that works.

And the only number that isn't "good enough" during 2016 and the first 8 games of 2017 is the YPG number, which you have arbitrarily decided is some sort of barometer for elite level QB play.

Clearly the last 8 games were a red flag but at this point the argument is basically how much blame you decide to put on Dak vs. the coaching staff/absence of Elliott and Smith.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Yeah, but I'm not. You haven't been able to answer any of my points, except to call them arbitrary, which they are not.

And the only number that isn't "good enough" during 2016 and the first 8 games of 2017 is the YPG number, which you have arbitrarily decided is some sort of barometer for elite level QB play.
You should try looking up the dictionary definition of arbitrary.

Clearly the last 8 games were a red flag but at this point the argument is basically how much blame you decide to put on Dak vs. the coaching staff/absence of Elliott and Smith.
The last 8 games were MORE of a red flag, but Prescott has always been sup-par in some areas. It was pointed out back in 2016. It was pointed out in early 2017. It was pointed out in late 2017. This is not some new revisionist history because he went on a losing streak and people turned on him.

Prescott is not effective enough as a passing QB. He wasn't in 2016, he wasn't in 2017.

He cannot be a franchise QB if he doesn't improve on this dramatically.

Meanwhile, Wentz and Goff underwent expected development for rookies. There is no other way of looking at their career trajectories at this point. Prescott remains with a visible fatal flaw, they don't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

YPG is the most useless statistic. Only an idiot would think that's an indicator of a QBs success or failure. Just being honest about it.

Genghis Khan

I definitely disagree with that. His completion percentage and yards per attempt were both too low in the first 8 games of 2017.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I definitely disagree with that. His completion percentage and yards per attempt were both too low in the first 8 games of 2017.
I read it as combining his numbers from 2016 and the first 8 of 2017 not being good enough, although over the first 8 of 2017 his completion % was 63% and YPA was 7. Certainly not great but that isn't "replace this guy immediately" bad either for a 2nd year QB, especially when he put up 20 total TD's to just 4 INT's.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but I'm not. You haven't been able to answer any of my points, except to call them arbitrary, which they are not.

You should try looking up the dictionary definition of arbitrary.

The last 8 games were MORE of a red flag, but Prescott has always been sup-par in some areas. It was pointed out back in 2016. It was pointed out in early 2017. It was pointed out in late 2017. This is not some new revisionist history because he went on a losing streak and people turned on him.

Prescott is not effective enough as a passing QB. He wasn't in 2016, he wasn't in 2017.

He cannot be a franchise QB if he doesn't improve on this dramatically.

Meanwhile, Wentz and Goff underwent expected development for rookies. There is no other way of looking at their career trajectories at this point. Prescott remains with a visible fatal flaw, they don't.
The only statistical flaw over his first 24 games that you can point out is YPG, that is my ultimate point.

If you want to sit here and say that, subjectively, he didn't impress you enough as a passer, great, you could be right. But to act like Wentz and Goff are head and shoulders above Prescott because of YPG is inane.

Almost as inane as pretending that Goff simply took a 2nd year leap as opposed to having the good fortune of going from one of the shittiest offensive schemes in the league in 2016 to one of the most innovative in 2017.

And it is arbitrary because literally nobody uses YPG as a definitive standard for QB play, you're only doing it because it's the only statistic where Prescott lags behind when taking the entirety of his first 2 years into account.

Genghis Khan

I read it as combining his numbers from 2016 and the first 8 of 2017 not being good enough, although over the first 8 of 2017 his completion % was 63% and YPA was 7. Certainly not great but that isn't "replace this guy immediately" bad either for a 2nd year QB, especially when he put up 20 total TD's to just 4 INT's.
The combination of the two stats is what concerns me. If you aren't getting the ball down field at a high rate, you really should be completing at a high rate. He did both better in 2016 so I don't know what happened last year but it wasn't just the final 8 games.

Top Bottom