Sturm: Five days later, thoughts on Mike McCarthy and where I went wrong again

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Did we know what we had in Jimmy in 91? Or was it almost an identical situation as what we saw this year?
You could see a young football team with budding stars on offense and not a lot on defense. We went out and drafted Kevin Smith, Darren Woodson and Jimmy Smith (although it didn't work out). But you could see the team turn the corner with 11-5 to go 13-3 the next near. Won on the road in Chicago, dropped a stinker to the Lions.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Payton leaves New Orleans he's going to sit out a year for PR purposes, and we'll probably give them a 3rd and 6th or something next year.

I'm sure there would already be a "wink, wink" deal in place before the 2022 season even starts to make him the highest paid HC in the league, or maybe 2nd highest behind Belichick, barring a Super Bowl run or something.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Or he sits on his fat ass, does nothing, still gets fired and takes home what is left on his contract.

I don't see a guy that really wants to win all that bad. I really don't. He will try to fake it until he makes it.
There’s nothing about McCarthy that screamed out “winner” on the sidelines this season. I saw a coach standing with his arms folded not really looking all that enthusiastic for the most part.
Do I blame McCarthy? No actually I don’t. I think there was a wink wink nod nod between him and the Joneses that Jerry was the MAN and would have final say over everything Cowboys-just as every other year since Jimmy left-before McCarthy ever signed the contract.

I just don’t see a McCarthy imprint on this team. I see Jerry residue.

Rogerthat

DCC 4Life
Hopefully not too much of a strawman response here I just thought a whole lot of favorable factors lined up for McCarthy THIS year to do more than what has normally been done the past quarter century.

Stuff like overall team health, extreme defensive improvement esp. w/turnovers, actually being functional at a position or 2 when a starter went down, Beating New England on the road, period.

Like I said this response is kinda straw man but whether it's Mike or somebody else, all these things kinda lined up pretty well THIS year and to expect all of these factors to repeat as favorably next year is foolish imo.

And lastly of course is everybody is a year older...
And even the chronologically young stars with Dallas, look football years "old" ie Smith and Zeke.

Father time is undefeated and all that. Apologies again for not discussing the McCarthy role in all of this more specifically.

just my opinion.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
that was painful. IIRC, that was the last time Detroit saw the postseason, until we played them in 2018.

That's incorrect, they've been to the playoffs a few times since then before facing us in 2014.

But the truth is even worse. That is Detroit's only postseason win at all since 1957.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's incorrect, they've been to the playoffs a few times since then before facing us in 2014.

But the truth is even worse. That is Detroit's only postseason win at all since 1957.
I was thinking 2014, said '18.

Top Bottom