Sturm: Five days later, thoughts on Mike McCarthy and where I went wrong again

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't think he has had ample time. It's why hiring him as OC was a gamble in the first place. It reminds me a little of when Sean Payton was OC for the Giants and Fassel had to take play calling away from him. Some guys just need more seasoning.

I believe Moore can be a good OC at the very least. But I don't think he's one right now and I think he needs a lot more experience.

I'm just so frigging tired of coaches learning on the job around here.
So two years with MM and how many with Garrett, 2/3? That’s 4 to 5 years. What’s the norm ?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So two years with MM and how many with Garrett, 2/3? That’s 4 to 5 years. What’s the norm ?

I don't know about the norm, but I think he needs more.

Also, I think it was 1 as Garrett's OC? 3 total seasons as an OC and almost none as a coach prior to that. Doesn't feel like enough.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about the norm, but I think he needs more.

Also, I think it was 1 as Garrett's OC? 3 total seasons as an OC and almost none as a coach prior to that. Doesn't feel like enough.
I agree, even McVay had a long history before he got where he was. Guy was coaching for like 8 years before he got the Rams job.

Moore literally jumped from playing right into QB coach and then a year later to OC. He has been coaching a grand total of 4 years in his life.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
In the 18 year history of this board, I've used the ignore function exactly once, about a week after we whooped the Redskins. I used to think it was for wusses. But I have to say I'm much happier being blissfully unaware of this poster's idiocy. I recommend it highly.

1 guess who it is. :lol
Smartest post in this thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In the 18 year history of this board, I've used the ignore function exactly once, about a week after we whooped the Redskins. I used to think it was for wusses. But I have to say I'm much happier being blissfully unaware of this poster's idiocy. I recommend it highly.

Jeez. Why don't you just wait for @Iamtdg to lose his patience like a normal person?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I dont know. Sometimes its fun to see what comes next and sometimes its even fun to bait the trap.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
That's the main reason I don't want to change the HC. No damn way I want to reset this damn thing.
I
think one of the hardest things for me is that Jerry the meddler has made things so weird for going on 15 years now. From the Garrett hire on he has had his hands on things in a way that makes it difficult to tell some of what is going on in the background. For all we know: MM was forced to acknowledge KM as his OC, no questions asked, MM has been forced to continue to allow KM to call plays regardless of outcome, MM has been forced to allow players to dictate their playtime, MM has had little input on the day to day operation of the team, he has been relegated to trying to coach on game day and run practice.
If any of these things are true. Let alone some or all of them then it is same old Jerry pulling the strings and we are likely just as screwed now as when Garrettt was here. Slightly less, because MM is a better game day coach.
If Kellen is coach-in-waiting 2.0 and can basically do what he wants with no repercussions then JJ really hasn’t learned and (as we all suspect) never will.
On the other hand. If this is MM running the team his way, I would give him another year, maybe two and would need to see significant improvement. Otherwise give me someone young from McVay or Vrabel staffs and see what happens. Give them a minimum 4 year understanding to put their imprint on the team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
On the other hand. If this is MM running the team his way, I would give him another year, maybe two and would need to see significant improvement.
Agreed, he should get at least another year.

Otherwise give me someone young from McVay or Vrabel staffs and see what happens. Give them a minimum 4 year understanding to put their imprint on the team.
I just don't want another on the job training guy. Give me someone with skins on the wall. Or at least someone who has done it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe this is why Jerry was so pointed in his comments about coaching.

Payton not committing to return with Saints
Sean Payton can either retire for a year or coach the Saints. There are no options in my opinion where the Saints just let him go to a team.

And with our lack of activity in free agency we sure as shit can't afford to give away picks. It's our only means to improve the talent on the roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sean Payton can either retire for a year or coach the Saints. There are no options in my opinion where the Saints just let him go to a team.

And with our lack of activity in free agency we sure as shit can't afford to give away picks. It's our only means to improve the talent on the roster.
This is very true.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This is where I remind people of Galloway's story that when Sean was on that Bountygate suspension and didn't have an extension yet, Jerry met with him and asked him what they'd pay him. Sean said like 6.5 or 7 million. Jerry laughed and said well you'd better go get you some of that then.

Jerry hates paying coaches, even ones he's personal friends with.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is where I remind people of Galloway's story that when Sean was on that Bountygate suspension and didn't have an extension yet, Jerry met with him and asked him what they'd pay him. Sean said like 6.5 or 7 million. Jerry laughed and said well you'd better go get you some of that then.

He is paying Fat Mike $5M.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Which is fucking stupid for a guy who claims he would do anything to win a Superbowl. You have unlimited funds for coaches, Jerry should be out spending to assemble the greatest staff possible.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Which is fucking stupid for a guy who claims he would do anything to win a Superbowl. You have unlimited funds for coaches, Jerry should be out spending to assemble the greatest staff possible.
We know Jerry is a colossal liar and completely full of shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We know Jerry is a colossal liar and completely full of shit.
Oh I agree. Jerry used to also have this complex where he basically thought the coach didn't matter. He use to think it was all about the talent on the team and that the coach was meaningless. He couldn't be more wrong. Especially in today's NFL of parity.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Iamtdg...?

Top Bottom