Sturm: Cowboys CB Trevon Diggs has outperformed his draft class with huge splash plays - Quinn Report

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

INGLEWOOD, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 19: Cornerback Trevon Diggs celebrates his interception with safety Jayron Kearse #27 during the first quarter against the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium on September 19, 2021 in Inglewood, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

By Bob Sturm Sep 30, 2021

Most players look for a reason to feel doubted. It stokes the fire and probably gives them a fire in their belly when they need a reason to train for hours in the middle of the offseason.

“Nobody believed in me,” is a phrase we hear in many championship interviews where someone tells us that even though they were selected pretty high in the NFL draft, because they were not picked even higher — they didn’t have enough “believers.”

I have no idea where Trevon Diggs is in this discussion. Given that he went to Alabama and was earmarked to be an NFL player for years before he got here and because his big brother was already a star in this league, he probably didn’t have too much reason to be mad at the haters. On the other hand, he was thought to be a first-round prospect and then wasn’t selected until pick No. 51.

In fact, if you really want to annoy him, I bet you could tell him that seven other corners were picked before him. Imagine the insult!

Here is the list (I am sure he has his own stored mentally):

2020 NFL Draft - Cornerbacks

RK
YEAR
RND
PICK▲
PLAYER
POS
TM
GS
COLLEGE/UNIV
1202013Jeff OkudahCBDET7Ohio St.
2202019C.J. HendersonCBJAC10Florida
32020116A.J. TerrellCBATL16Clemson
42020119Damon ArnetteCBLAV7Ohio St.
52020130Noah IgbinogheneCBMIA2Auburn
62020131Jeff GladneyCBMIN15TCU
72020250Jaylon JohnsonCBCHI16Utah
82020251Trevon DiggsCBDAL14Alabama

This last week, C.J. Henderson (pick No. 9 of the 2020 NFL Draft and the second corner taken) was traded from Jacksonville to Carolina for very little return. There is a great chance he plays Sunday in Arlington against the Cowboys and a reminder of top prospects not always instantly becoming top pros.

Now there are certainly a number of ways for us to catalog who is better than the others with statistics and highlight films, but much like last week with Micah Parsons, Diggs is making us wonder what everyone else was thinking.

Diggs has six interceptions with three in 2020 and three more in 2021. That doubles the productivity of any other member of the 2020 draft class and when you look at it from a “splash play” perspective, only Chicago’s Jaylon Johnson would be close to him on the list of overall impactful plays on defense. Washington’s Kam Curl is a seventh-round safety who has also made a large number of plays in his own right and would be third on this list.

Courtesy of TruMedia

That is a whole lot of high-impact plays made for a corner who we thought was a nice player, but one with some rough edges who would need time to develop. His rookie season was interrupted for over a month when he went down in the Pittsburgh game in Week 9 and did not return until Week 15 versus the 49ers. But all year long, the kid made plays and picked off three different Philadelphia Eagles passes in ’20.

So, we shouldn’t be surprised when he picked off a fourth Eagles pass in 2021. He was sitting on an out to DeVonta Smith and cut in front of a stumbling Smith and took it back to the house in an instant.

This play turned the game and wasn’t his only moment of impact. Diggs broke up three more passes and looked like a guy the Eagles might have been advised to stop challenging. I think it is clear that this is probably the most aggressive and impressive corner the Cowboys have had in a long time. No disrespect to Byron Jones or Brandon Carr or anyone else on the list, but I think we are forced to use Terence Newman as the last player who had this quality.

Newman was a magnificent player who is probably under-appreciated for his accomplishments in Dallas (as many players from that era are given the tepid team results), and as the fifth pick overall in the 2003 draft with 42 career interceptions, it would seem impossible to suggest he did not hit his ceiling. He was superb.

Now, here is Diggs, who has tremendous size and has shown the ability to match the speed of most, the playmaking of few, and the mental acuity required to be a lead corner on a top defense. He has definitely been beaten in his first 15 games, but show me a player who hasn’t. Every corner takes his turn in the burn unit. But, like Parsons last week and Osa Odighizuwa, Diggs is another tremendous talent who is starting to piece together a group of defenders that may form a better group quicker than people think.

Dan Quinn is great and, along with the front office, has demonstrated an eye for talent. That is important because while scheme and technique matter, you will not win the Kentucky Derby on a donkey. You require thoroughbreds and it appears those are being accumulated in short order.

Week 3 versus Philadelphia

Some good and bad in this performance but this is where context will be vital. Box score readers can surmise that some of these red numbers above show signs the defense is still in major disrepair. But, I hope we prepared you for this in the game preview because the Eagles have one source of offense and it is “chunk plays” right now. They cannot sustain drives and that showed as much throughout most of the game.

The raw yardage, yards per play and explosive plays are too much for our liking. But, the Eagles never strung together big moments. So while they were decent at flipping field position a bit, the Eagles didn’t threaten a score until the very late stages of the third quarter when they were already lost at sea.

The Eagles took the ball 12 times Monday night and only twice — drive No. 8 started down 20 points and drive No. 11 started down 27 points — yielded multiple first downs. That is a shockingly poor number. Their first-half drives went like this: interception, punt, punt, punt, punt. Then the Eagles started the second half with an interception (pick six) and another punt. Like I said previously: If you have any idea what Philadelphia is trying to do on offense, please advise. I have no idea whatsoever.

For me, the lead story of this week continues to be the lead story of the season. This defense has not collapsed without having many of the heavy lifters we expected to be vital to its success. To assume the Cowboys’ defense could survive against the Chargers and Eagles without DeMarcus Lawrence, Neville Gallimore, Donovan Wilson and even Keanu Neal this week seemed far-fetched. Say nothing about no Trysten Hill or Kelvin Joseph, who are both on injured reserve. Carlos Watkins was giving them 35 snaps per game and he was gone, too. We had no idea how the Cowboys were going to handle a game with almost no defensive tackles. The Eagles obliged them by giving the ball to their runners three times the whole game.

Parsons was again impressive. Randy Gregory got after it. Odighizuwa necessitated his own banana stand.

The question for the Dallas defense is going to be limiting the big plays. Big plays must be limited, but they are being covered up nicely by a team that keeps taking the ball away. We know turnovers are unlikely to continue at this NFL-leading pace (would love to be wrong), but you don’t want receivers running free in the secondary very often for a free 25 yards. The Eagles employed many crossers that cause traffic collisions and were able to scheme open targets, but that is not unique at this level. Sorting through the mess and staying with your targets is the next step.

Dallas is 29th in the NFL at allowing big plays and only three teams are as bad or worse. But, get a load of who they are: Baltimore, Kansas City and Washington. That is right, through three weeks, somehow Washington has allowed more big plays than any team in the league.

So, yeah, it is early.

SPLASH PLAYS
Let me wrap up this short week with a look at where we are with splash plays. This, to me, is the most important way to measure the positive impact of my defenders. And the most important way to understand what I am talking about is to review what the heck a splash play even is here.
In short, here is a visual aid:

I have great news. TruMedia has constructed a way for these to collate automatically. The one exception is they cannot add in the holding penalties drawn, so I will be adding those up as we go. For instance, Gregory drew three holding penalties (which is close to a record) on Monday, but they are not included here. I will add those soon enough.

For now, without the benefit of holding penalties, here are the Week 3 totals:

The season totals through three games:

In all of my years of doing this (2012), we have never had a cornerback win this — because most splash plays are at or behind the line of scrimmage and corners don’t play there much. But, Diggs is making an early run at it. To see Diggs and Parsons up top is quite a story for us to follow.

Carolina will bring its own plans and it is already Thursday. We riff at dawn to prepare for that one on a very short week.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Okay, all this praise is officially starting to make me wary of this game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's going to be a tough game. Probably will be similar to the Chargers game. Hopefully things break right again.
The Chargers are better than the Panthers. If we have a let down coming off the Eagles game I could see it being a 50/50 tossup similar to the Chargers game, if we play a clean game it should be a comfortable 7-10 point win.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's going to be a tough game. Probably will be similar to the Chargers game. Hopefully things break right again.
I don't think that Darnold is capable of doing what Herbert did. It will likely be close but not for the same reason we were duking it out with the Chargers.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Chargers are better than the Panthers. If we have a let down coming off the Eagles game I could see it being a 50/50 tossup similar to the Chargers game, if we play a clean game it should be a comfortable 7-10 point win.

I'm not sure the Chargers are better. If so it's close. Chargers offense and especially QB is better certainly, but the Panthers have a better defense.

I referenced the Chargers specifically because I think they game planned to try and make it a grind it out game to try to keep our scoring in the 20-24 range, and I think the Panthers will attempt to do the same thing. Limit the big plays and make us use clock and have drawn out drives.

If we convert in the RedZone with TDs instead of field goals, and we get a couple early stops defensively on them all that goes out the window because they'll be forced to take more chances on both sides of the ball. If not though, it could be touch and go the whole game.

Genghis Khan

I don't think that Darnold is capable of doing what Herbert did. It will likely be close but not for the same reason we were duking it out with the Chargers.

That's the big thing and it I think it will come down to if they are able to run the ball (or alternatively short passing) effectively. I can't see Darnold burning us on 3rd and long a whole lot, but if they are able to get him to second or third and short he might do some damage.

Obviously missing McCaffrey is huge in that regard.

ZeroClub

UFA
I liked Terence Newman, but "magnificent" and "superb" seems a bit of a stretch. He made two pro bowls. His greatest accomplishment is that he managed to play 15 NFL seasons, which is quite impressive.

But I like Diggs more, for his ball skills.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I liked Terence Newman, but "magnificent" and "superb" seems a bit of a stretch.
More than a bit of a stretch. Solid pro but not a top tier corner, in his or any era.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This fucker is going to shatter the bank

We need to win the Superbowl within three years

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I needed to clean out recordings and I stumbled on the first Eagles game.

This was the DiNucci game. I just saw Travis Fulgham just burn Diggs badly.

I get it. He is kicking ass. But Fulgham.

And he made a bounce tackle against Reagor and allowed him to score.

data

Forbes #1

the Dan Quinn difference?

You said yourself that this is the DiNucci game. It’s like your efforts taking out on a date your dad’s coworker’s ugly daughter as opposed to a date with the head cheerleader. Don’t hold it against Diggs when he was just going through the motions so he wouldn’t get in trouble

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
the Dan Quinn difference?

You said yourself that this is the DiNucci game. It’s like your efforts taking out on a date your dad’s coworker’s ugly daughter as opposed to a date with the head cheerleader. Don’t hold it against Diggs when he was just going through the motions so he wouldn’t get in trouble
He needs to stay humble.

Genghis Khan

I think it's reasonable to believe that he's made big strides between then, when he was in the middle of his rookie season, and now.

He's definitely still not perfect but he looks like a legit cb1 right now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think it's reasonable to believe that he's made big strides between then, when he was in the middle of his rookie season, and now.

He's definitely still not perfect but he looks like a legit cb1 right now.
Yes. And he needs to stay humble. Listen to Saban.

Top Bottom