Spring League Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Good, the current USFL is a disgrace to the old Reggie White-Jim Kelly-Herschel league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they should have gone with more teams and hit markets further away from NFL teams. But that's just my opinion. You need to find cities starved for NFL football that don't have access. It's why St. Louis packed the stadium for the BattleHawks. Too far from the Chiefs and still pissed about losing the Rams.

8 teams is just hard to do. That's not even as big as a college football conference. Hard to get fans to feel invested in a league that is so small. I understand the fears of going too big too quickly but instead I think they set themselves up to have another failure. Just my humble opinion. DC, Arlington, Houston, are these places really going to get people to care?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think they should have gone with more teams and hit markets further away from NFL teams. But that's just my opinion. You need to find cities starved for NFL football that don't have access. It's why St. Louis packed the stadium for the BattleHawks. Too far from the Chiefs and still pissed about losing the Rams.

8 teams is just hard to do. That's not even as big as a college football conference. Hard to get fans to feel invested in a league that is so small. I understand the fears of going too big too quickly but instead I think they set themselves up to have another failure. Just my humble opinion. DC, Arlington, Houston, are these places really going to get people to care?
I don’t know. I think it’s ok for now. Get too big, and it waters down the talent, and the product suffers. If they do well and actually establish a decent following they could always expand.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know. I think it’s ok for now. Get too big, and it waters down the talent, and the product suffers. If they do well and actually establish a decent following they could always expand.
Could be but I guess I look at it as the talent is already going to be watered down. This isn't going to be NFL quality. People watch college football, not because they are expecting an NFL quality product. They watch it because they feel connected to the team and excited about the potential of a championship or trophy. Less teams just sort of makes the championship feel less meaningful. I wish them luck though and want them to succeed. I just think they need to more fill in the space that the NFL hasn't occupied. This doesn't feel like that to me.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I hope he loses everything and has to wrestle the Indy circuits until he’s 70.
And can't afford any more gyno surgeries.

Top Bottom