Should the Death Penalty be abolished

jeebs

Brand New Member
Make them earn it. Put them to work. I have no issue with that.

Since 1993 states without the death penalty have fewer murders
Do you think that is because states with fewer murders don't feel it necessary to kill people, rather then their lack of killing people having a trickle down effect?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Since 1973 144 have been exonerated after being convicted of murder.
And, that's why we have appeals. But, 10 years of them is ridiculous and not financially responsible.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/executed-possibly-innocent#also

Above is a link of people who have been executed and are strongly believed to be innocent. There are also some on there who have been declared innocent after executed.
You can never get to a place where you don't 100% kill people that didn't need killing. The only difference between the death penalty and life in prison is you give the lawyers more time to make money and contributing society more time to feed the murderer/rapist/child molester.

Cotton

Staff member
No, since 1973, which puts it at 1% of the time we are pretty sure we got it wrong, and 10% of the time we almost get it wrong
You mean "may" have got it wrong, but no one knows.

jeebs

Brand New Member
You mean "may" have got it wrong, but no one knows.
So when a guy wins his appeal you wouldn't say the conviction was wrong, just that it may have been wrong? Well even with a conviction you argue semantically that we may have been wrong.

Cotton

Staff member
Make them earn it. Put them to work. I have no issue with that.

Since 1993 states without the death penalty have fewer murders
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates
I would like to see those stats from a site other than a very slanted site like one that on it's home page has "The execution of Joseph Wood III in Arizona on July 23 took over two hours, with witnesses reporting that Wood gasped and snorted over 600 times during the procedure." right up top.

2233boys

Not So New Member
And, that's why we have appeals. But, 10 years of them is ridiculous and not financially responsible.

You can never get to a place where you don't 100% kill people that didn't need killing. The only difference between the death penalty and life in prison is you give the lawyers more time to make money and contributing society more time to feed the murderer/rapist/child molester.
Lawyers make more with death penalty cases

jeebs

Brand New Member
I would like to see those stats from a site other than a very slanted site like one that on it's home page has "The execution of Joseph Wood III in Arizona on July 23 took over two hours, with witnesses reporting that Wood gasped and snorted over 600 times during the procedure." right up top.
Pro death penalty sites rarely list their mistakes.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Do you think that is because states with fewer murders don't feel it necessary to kill people, rather then their lack of killing people having a trickle down effect?
Maybe but this supports my argument so I am gonna say no

Cotton

Staff member
So when a guy wins his appeal you wouldn't say the conviction was wrong, just that it may have been wrong? Well even with a conviction you argue semantically that we may have been wrong.
I thought you were asserting that we almost got it wrong in appeals cases that got denied.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Which should be a case for judicial reform, not the abolishment of the death penalty. Anti death penalty people can't institute a shitty system, then use the system they instituted to justify abolishing the death penalty. It is a logical fallacy that I just cannot abide.

2233boys

Not So New Member
It's news and it is the second case recently where this has happened. It was on my local news tonight too should I disregard everything they say too?

Cotton

Staff member
Right, by dragging it on and on. Why do you think they are more expensive as you stated earlier? If you want to argue that lawyers are leeches, fine, but don't try to drag the root of the argument into that.

jeebs

Brand New Member
I thought you were asserting that we almost got it wrong in appeals cases that got denied.
i meant we almost got it wrong in appeals cases that were won (because we had been planning to kill those "innocents").

Cotton

Staff member
It's news and it is the second case recently where this has happened. It was on my local news tonight too should I disregard everything they say too?
It's a slanted site. I don't figure I will just automatically assume their stats are valid.

Cotton

Staff member
i meant we almost got it wrong in appeals cases that were won (because we had been planning to kill those "innocents").
And, I have stated that their should be an appeals process, but not one that should be so prolonged and expensive. Why are you arguing with me about shit we agree on?

jeebs

Brand New Member
And, I have stated that their should be an appeals process, but not one that should be so prolonged and expensive. Why are you arguing with me about shit we agree on?
We have a similar opinion of the way things should be, but we do not agree on the value of the current system.

2233boys

Not So New Member
It's a slanted site. I don't figure I will just automatically assume their stats are valid.
Murder rates are from the FBI's "Crime in the United States" and are per 100,000 population.
Right below the graph.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So revenge is going to give them peace? I don't see it that way, to me if I was after revenge making the person be caged their entire life would be more satisfying.
Curious as to why it shows my name was tagged to this post...?

jeebs

Brand New Member
We have a similar opinion of the way things should be, but we do not agree on the value of the current system.
While me and 2233 agree on the problems with the current system, but our ideal system is far different

Top Bottom