Should the Death Penalty be abolished

jeebs

Brand New Member
I'm good with it. Get rid of the lethal injection though and bring back firing squads and the electric chair, and shorten the appeals process to 1 try. Longest a convicted murderer should be allowed to stay on Death Row is 1 year.

An eye for an eye....I feel no sorrow or sadness for those who are committed to death for killing another human being.
There are a lot of mistakes, I would make the guilty threshold higher than reasonable doubt. I want witnesses or some such.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Revenge isn't sought it is offered by some states as a way of restitution to the victim's family. In order to keep the process at arms length and objectively it is accomplished through the judical system via a panel of juriorist. They distribute the revenge.
So we are seeking revenge. That's what I thought. It's wrong, and just because it is done legally doesn't make it any less wrong.

jeebs

Brand New Member
So we are seeking revenge. That's what I thought. It's wrong, and just because it is done legally doesn't make it any less wrong.
Revenge? I prefer to think that they lost the right to live in society as well as the right to be supported by society

jeebs

Brand New Member
Kill em and move on, it is a question of practicality

2233boys

Not So New Member
Revenge? I prefer to think that they lost the right to live in society as well as the right to be supported by society
Put them in jail, and it costs more for a death penalty sentence then it does to imprison someone for life in some states. Your position doesn't make sense if your using cost as a critical component unless all things are equal everywhere.

You're all over the place with your arguments. Thanks for supporting my thread though.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fair point about legalized murder. I won't use it anymore.

To me the death penalty only serves one purpose revenge and that bothers me.
Revenge? Really? You think that's what the purpose of it is?

jeebs

Brand New Member
Put them in jail, and it costs more for a death penalty sentence then it does to imprison someone for life in some states. Your position doesn't make sense if your using cost as a critical component unless all things are equal everywhere.

You're all over the place with your arguments. Thanks for supporting my thread though.
All over the place? No, I have a coherent nuanced position. My first post stated that as currently constructed I would abolish the death penalty (kills to many innocents, costs to much, and takes to long to kill the guilty), that said I do believe in the death penalty, and would support it if competently manage.

Only liberals could take a good idea (which they disagree with) then enact it so badly that their incompetence is their justification for not enacting said idea..

Cotton

Staff member
I'm good with it. Get rid of the lethal injection though and bring back firing squads and the electric chair, and shorten the appeals process to 1 try. Longest a convicted murderer should be allowed to stay on Death Row is 1 year.

An eye for an eye....I feel no sorrow or sadness for those who are committed to death for killing another human being.
This is my biggest problem with the system we have in place now. They are allowed to appeal too damn many times. How many times does it take? I'm tired of feeding them while they get to delay the system. I remember an argument we had on this board a few years ago with someone getting caught on camera killing someone, and yet it still took forever to enact justice. If someone is caught on camera killing someone, they die very soon. Not after 10 years.

jeebs

Brand New Member
This is my biggest problem with the system we have in place now. They are allowed to appeal too damn many times. How many times does it take? I'm tired of feeding them while they get to delay the system. I remember an argument we had on this board a few years ago with someone getting caught on camera killing someone, and yet it still took forever to enact justice. If someone is caught on camera killing someone, they die very soon. Not after 10 years.
life sentence is cheaper than the death penalty. Now I would argue that means we need judicial and penal (ha) reform, 2233 thinks we should just keep the incompetent part of the system and get rid the sensical ones because they don't work with morons in charge.

Cotton

Staff member
There are a lot of mistakes, I would make the guilty threshold higher than reasonable doubt. I want witnesses or some such.
Through all of the process and their conviction you don't think that they haven't exhausted all reasonable doubt?

Cotton

Staff member

o rly

jeebs

Brand New Member
Through all of the process and their conviction you don't think that they haven't exhausted all reasonable doubt?
No. There have been quite a few articles about certain states that have a huge percentage of incorrect guilty verdicts in death penalty cases. DNA evidence has been none to exonerate quite a few people, and for some it came to late.

I think the greatest argument against the death penalty is the same argument used for due process. "Better 10 guilty men to free than one innocent man punished", is a famous quote (I think).

Cotton

Staff member
life sentence is cheaper than the death penalty. Now I would argue that means we need judicial and penal (ha) reform, 2233 thinks we should just keep the incompetent part of the system and get rid the sensical ones because they don't work with morons in charge.
It's only because the defense costs more. The actual act of the death penalty versus life is not even close to more expensive. The fact that we let them appeal 45 times is what makes it cost more.

jeebs

Brand New Member
It's only because the defense costs more. The actual act of the death penalty versus life is not even close to more expensive. The fact that we let them appeal 45 times is what makes it cost more.
Agreed, but as currently enacted it still costs more. Better to be canceled than the status quo, but better than both would be some damn judicial and penal (ha) reform.

Cotton

Staff member
No. There have been quite a few articles about certain states that have a huge percentage of incorrect guilty verdicts in death penalty cases. DNA evidence has been none to exonerate quite a few people, and for some it came to late.

I think the greatest argument against the death penalty is the same argument used for due process. "Better 10 guilty men to free than one innocent man punished", is a famous quote (I think).
Due process is enough for me. With today's technology, I'm fine with frying them after at worst a couple of appeals. I'm tired of having to pay to house and feed evil people.Give them a couple of appeals and then make the death quick and cheap.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Yes what other purpose is there. The comments in here have reinforced that opinion.
I don't believe I mentioned revenge. Done properly it is just the most expeditious route to eliminate those who have invalidated their right to live in and be over from society.

Top Bottom