Senior Bowl Stuff...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Smith missed one season. Saying 2 years is an exaggeration. And he wasn't some run of the mill LBer. He was the ultra rare legit top five pick as a 4-3 LBer. A rare talent.

And running a 3-3-5 sort of defeats the purpose. What advantage does it really give you over a 4-2-5 nickle. The extra LBer makes you weaker in coverage then the 3-2-6. You're running a nickle defense we a worse run defense. And if you rush 4, you'll really just be using Reddick as a nickle DE. Plus against these no huddle offense we can't use a defense like that because they get shredded when they get stuck on the field.

So yeah Reddick would be used but not really what we need.
It is not an exaggeration when the first regular season game will be 18+ months since the injury. You don't have to tell me what kind of prospect he was, believe me I know and I have as much hope for him as anybody but you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to step in and be ready to play 50-60 snaps a game when he is still wearing a brace as of now.

And a 3-3-5 does not defeat the purpose if you have 3 LB's who are all capable of blitzing and covering, as would be the case with Lee/Smith/Reddick. No, it would not be quite as good in coverage as if you had 6 DB's, but the point I've been making all along is that Reddick would be a huge upgrade as a pass-rusher/blitzer over the DB's that we were consistently bringing at the end of the year.

Obviously ideally you want to upgrade the pass-rush via the DL, I've said repeatedly that if Charlton, McKinley, etc. are there, that's the obvious choice. But the other point I've been making all along is if that isn't possible, Reddick could be a creative alternative who could impact the pass-rush in ways most LB's couldn't, while also providing insurance as a 3-down LB for Lee who is now 31 and Smith who is a question mark no matter what anybody says.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Are we going to continue to take players that fit what Old Man Marinelli wants to do in his scheme that doesn't win championships or are we going to take playmakers.
Didn't Tampa Bay run a similar defense? Don't we run the Tampa 2?

Jiggyfly

Banned
It is nice in concept, but a "dynamic LB" would be wasted in our scheme.

Once the "Brooks", "Urlacher" or "Briggs" role is filled, what then?

There is little to no latitude. They are not going to be blitzers. They will be cover guys first.

That is the big problem I have right now. We are at a cross roads.

Are we going to continue to take players that fit what Old Man Marinelli wants to do in his scheme that doesn't win championships or are we going to take playmakers.
Briggs and Urlacher played together and we have yet to fill any of the roles.

Top Bottom