Senior Bowl Stuff...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
RAIDER!!!!!
I did like what he did. He doesn't hesitate and he gets the ball out fast. The Pitt QB looked good too but not a great arm. It pains me to say as an Iowa fan but the rest of the QBs looked like trash. Beathard may be able to chuck the ball but he has zero pocket awareness and it showed.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wait, he washed out from there too? Sorry, so many shitty system QBs, I get them confused.
Yeah. He transferred out when Mahomes took over.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. He transferred out when Mahomes took over.
QB is the one position where talented guys transfer all the time the second they get stuck behind another QB. Nathan Peterman was a transfer from Tennessee at QB. Looked like he could be a really good backup QB in the NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What we learned from Senior Bowl: Zay Jones boosts draft stock

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Jan. 28, 2017 at 05:52 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 28, 2017 at 06:18 p.m.
0 Likes | 0 Comments

A lot of players left a strong impression on NFL scouts during the practice week leading up to Saturday's Reese's Senior Bowl, but not as many can pair that with a similarly impressive performance in the game.

Count Zay Jones as one who did both.

The former East Carolina wide receiver caught six passes for 68 yards and a touchdown for the North squad, which lost 16-15. But it was perhaps two plays Jones didn't make that scouts will remember most. Along with his touchdown, which came on a slant route in the red zone late in the fourth quarter, Jones also had two would-be touchdowns taken away -- one on a boundary ruling and the other on a penalty. Nevertheless, the ex-Pirates star left a strong impression on the Chicago Bears coaching staff, which handled the North squad.

"Those two have had a really impressive week," Bears offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said, during the NFL Network broadcast, of Jones and fellow North receiver Cooper Kupp. "They're really football-smart guys and they've shown up (on game day) and showed up all week. It wasn't a surprise to us that they've played the way they have."

Jones, who led the FBS with 158 receptions in 2016, was among 10 players who made money during the Senior Bowl practice week, per NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock.

"I think (Temple LB Haason) Reddick and Zay Jones, in what they did during the week and then watching them (in the game), helped themselves more than anybody," NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said.

Here are five other things we learned Saturday from the 2017 Reese's Senior Bowl.

2. More from Mayock. Who else besides Jones made money this week by improving their NFL draft stock? Mayock's list included five players from each squad. On the South team, he said Alabama TE O.J. Howard, Ole Miss TE Evan Engram, LSU CB Tre'Davious White, San Diego State CB Damontae Kazee and Clemson DT Carlos Watkins helped themselves. White missed the game due to an ankle injury. Howard caught four passes for 39 yards in the first half before coming out of the game to give way to other South tight ends. Mayock projected him as a top-20 pick, and compared him to one of the NFL's best tight ends. On the North squad, Mayock identified Jones, Temple LB Haason Reddick, Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp, West Virginia CB Rasul Douglas and UConn S Obi Melifonwu

3. Webb takes MVP honor. Cal QB Davis Webb was selected the Senior Bowl's Most Valuable Player after completing 11 of 16 passes for a game-high 165 yards and a touchdown. Last year's Senior Bowl Most Outstanding Player was none other than Dak Prescott, who went on to instant stardom with the Dallas Cowboys. This year, the North's Most Outstanding player was Toledo RB Kareem Hunt, while the South's MOP was Kansas State DE Jordan Willis.

4. NFL comp for Pitt QB. Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi likens Senior Bowl QB Nathan Peterman to Washington Redskins QB Kirk Cousins as a draft prospect, per Mayock. Narduzzi coached Cousins at Michigan State before taking the Pitt job. After seeing minimal action at Tennessee early in his college career, Peterman started for two years for the Panthers under Narduzzi.

5. Melifonwu on the rise. One of the highest compliments Mayock paid during the Senior Bowl broadcast was to Melifonwu. Mayock believes his draft trajectory, depending on his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine, could be similar to that of a former Dallas Cowboys first-round pick.

"Melifonwu, if he runs as well at the combine as I think he does, he might have a meteoric (draft) rise like Byron Jones, another UConn player," Mayock said.

6. Kpassagnon comp. Mayock provided an interesting comparison for Tanoh Kpassagnon in pre-game remarks, likening the Villanova defensive end to Carlos Dunlap of the Cincinnati Bengals. Mayock named Kpassagnon as one of his star performers on Tuesday. It's certainly an apt comparison from a size standpoint: Dunlap is listed at 6-foot-6, 280 pounds, while Kpassagnon measured 6-6 7/8, 280 at the official weigh-in on Tuesday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reddick doesn't really fit for us, does he?
He could. The thing about him this week was using him as a 4-3 LBer and he was great in coverage and running. I don't think I'd want the Cowboys to use that high of a pick on a LBer though. After the huge week he isn't lasting long. Certainly not to our third rounder.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Reddick doesn't really fit for us, does he?
He does, I want to see how he runs at the Combine first before totally committing to this statement but I'd consider him at 28 depending on how the board looks.

At the Senior Bowl he looked totally comfortable in coverage, RB's/TE's couldn't handle him in blitz pickup, he looked instinctive as far as rallying to the ball on screens, and he even held his own in 1 on 1 pass-rush drills vs OL. He has natural bend and even a few pass-rush moves since he primarily played on the edge in college.

I watched two of his games on YouTube and it validated what I saw at the Senior Bowl as far as his ability to navigate through traffic to get to the ball and his explosiveness off the edge.

Clearly he will have to play as a traditional LB in the NFL due to his size, but to me it looks like he has the athleticism and speed to do it easily, as well as the ability to cover and diagnose run plays. What really makes him special as far as I'm concerned is his ability to blitz/pass-rush, you can bring him off the edge standing up and he's also adept at stunting/blitzing. He is also advanced as far as taking on OL at the point of attack due to the fact that he was asked to do it so often in college as an edge-rusher.

The concern about the guy was that he was a stiff who couldn't play as a natural LB so he played on the edge in college, but that he doesn't have the size to do it in the NFL, but it's the opposite. He has the ability to play as a traditional LB but the fact that he's so advanced as a pass-rusher/blitzer is an added bonus, which is why I'd consider him at 28.

Lee is amazing, but he turns 31 this year, and we all know the story with Smith. Due to Reddick's ability to blitz/pass rush I think there is room for all three even if you have Lee/Smith healthy and playing, and then of course there's the fact that we should want to give Lee at least some sort of break and not ask him to play 99% of snaps.

With how much Marinelli went 3-man line and brought stunts/blitzes from LB's and DB's later in the year I think there is a role for Reddick to come in and make an impact immediately.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lee is amazing, but he turns 31 this year, and we all know the story with Smith. Due to Reddick's ability to blitz/pass rush I think there is room for all three even if you have Lee/Smith healthy and playing, and then of course there's the fact that we should want to give Lee at least some sort of break and not ask him to play 99% of snaps.

With how much Marinelli went 3-man line and brought stunts/blitzes from LB's and DB's later in the year I think there is a role for Reddick to come in and make an impact immediately.
I know the color of the skin will confuse some with this comparison but it's sort of like Teddy Bruschi. A super productive college DE in terms of sacks who translated really well to LBer in the NFL. Similar body builds and ability though. And the ability as a pass rusher to shed blocks and make plays translates really well to LBer. As long as you also have the ability to cover and run. Which that's sort of what Reddick had to prove at the Senior Bowl which he did. It doesn't mean you have to blitz Reddick a ton in the NFL just to take advantage of that ability. I think it applies in general to LBers on any play where they are coming forward.

I like Reddick but with Lee and Jaylon Smith I just can't do it in the first. Not unless the DE cupboard is empty. Reddick would sort of be like Byron Jones. Wouldn't really have a position to start as a rookie but would find playing time regardless. And then a year or two from now you expect him to fill Sean Lee's shoes. You could use him in all kinds of ways in the mean time of course as a pass rusher in some sub packages and obviously would be a beast on special teams. He could also play the SLBer spot (Which we really use probably 50% of the snaps or less).

We really don't blitz much in our defense though. Which would kind of seem like waste. Second or third round I could stomach a smaller school guy switching positions but in the first round it would be tough to stomach.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I know the color of the skin will confuse some with this comparison but it's sort of like Teddy Bruschi. A super productive college DE in terms of sacks who translated really well to LBer in the NFL. Similar body builds and ability though. And the ability as a pass rusher to shed blocks and make plays translates really well to LBer. As long as you also have the ability to cover and run. Which that's sort of what Reddick had to prove at the Senior Bowl which he did. It doesn't mean you have to blitz Reddick a ton in the NFL just to take advantage of that ability. I think it applies in general to LBers on any play where they are coming forward.

I like Reddick but with Lee and Jaylon Smith I just can't do it in the first. Not unless the DE cupboard is empty. Reddick would sort of be like Byron Jones. Wouldn't really have a position to start as a rookie but would find playing time regardless. And then a year or two from now you expect him to fill Sean Lee's shoes. You could use him in all kinds of ways in the mean time of course as a pass rusher in some sub packages and obviously would be a beast on special teams. He could also play the SLBer spot (Which we really use probably 50% of the snaps or less).

We really don't blitz much in our defense though. Which would kind of seem like waste. Second or third round I could stomach a smaller school guy switching positions but in the first round it would be tough to stomach.
I see where you're coming from as far as impact, because obviously ideally I would like a DL to be the BPA, but I think Reddick provides very intriguing value to this team and he could upgrade our pass-rush in a unique way.

You say we don't blitz much but we really started to over the last 5 or 6 games of the regular season, and in the second half of the Packer game once the defense adjusted a bit. Alot of the blitzing came from Lee on stunts/twists, as well as with safeties off the edge. In that Packer game Heath and Church both had sacks, and I distinctly remember Jones blitzing a good amount off the edge as well late in the year.

Instead of running as much 3-2 with 6 DB's I could see us replacing a DB with Reddick, with his versatility as a pass-rusher and ability to cover, and having only 5 DB's on the field instead of 6. I think his natural ability to pass-rush, blitz and bend off the edge could add a really interesting dynamic to our nickel/dime packages. He reminds me of a shorter Jamie Collins honestly, although Bruschi is a good comparison too.

And all of this is assuming that Smith is ready to play a big role immediately and Lee can of course stay healthy.

You have to figure that Smith won't be rushed into playing 70%+ snaps a game immediately after not playing a game in nearly two years. Then of course I think we should look for ways to give Lee some more rest, the guy was on the field for literally every single defensive snap except for about 4 outside of the last Eagles game.

Yes, Hitchens and Wilson are decent enough depth that we can get by with if need be, but I think depending on who else is available, Reddick could provide alot of value even at 28.

Maliek Collins led our defensive linemen in snaps played this year as a rookie at only 62%, I can't imagine a rookie DE or DT playing more than that next year. Between giving Lee a little bit more of a rest, the uncertainty surrounding Smith and Reddick's unique pass-rush ability as a 4-3 LB I could easily see him reaching about 55% or so.

I want to see what he runs at the Combine, he looks like a sub-4.6 guy to me, and if he really knocks the testing out of the park it would only solidify him as a consideration at 28 to me.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He does, I want to see how he runs at the Combine first before totally committing to this statement but I'd consider him at 28 depending on how the board looks.

At the Senior Bowl he looked totally comfortable in coverage, RB's/TE's couldn't handle him in blitz pickup, he looked instinctive as far as rallying to the ball on screens, and he even held his own in 1 on 1 pass-rush drills vs OL. He has natural bend and even a few pass-rush moves since he primarily played on the edge in college.

I watched two of his games on YouTube and it validated what I saw at the Senior Bowl as far as his ability to navigate through traffic to get to the ball and his explosiveness off the edge.

Clearly he will have to play as a traditional LB in the NFL due to his size, but to me it looks like he has the athleticism and speed to do it easily, as well as the ability to cover and diagnose run plays. What really makes him special as far as I'm concerned is his ability to blitz/pass-rush, you can bring him off the edge standing up and he's also adept at stunting/blitzing. He is also advanced as far as taking on OL at the point of attack due to the fact that he was asked to do it so often in college as an edge-rusher.

The concern about the guy was that he was a stiff who couldn't play as a natural LB so he played on the edge in college, but that he doesn't have the size to do it in the NFL, but it's the opposite. He has the ability to play as a traditional LB but the fact that he's so advanced as a pass-rusher/blitzer is an added bonus, which is why I'd consider him at 28.

I'm with you all the way on this one.

Rather a dynamic LB than a 2nd tier DE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm with you all the way on this one.

Rather a dynamic LB than a 2nd tier DE.
It is nice in concept, but a "dynamic LB" would be wasted in our scheme.

Once the "Brooks", "Urlacher" or "Briggs" role is filled, what then?

There is little to no latitude. They are not going to be blitzers. They will be cover guys first.

That is the big problem I have right now. We are at a cross roads.

Are we going to continue to take players that fit what Old Man Marinelli wants to do in his scheme that doesn't win championships or are we going to take playmakers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

There is little to no latitude. They are not going to be blitzers. They will be cover guys first.

Are we going to continue to take players that fit what Old Man Marinelli wants to do in his scheme that doesn't win championships or are we going to take playmakers.
Cray how a college DE who wasn't in anyone's top 50 is now considered a dynamic player that you simply can't pass up at 28. To me he is on the same level as second tier DE's. And I prioritize a DE over third LBer.

But ultimately I'll take a dynamic anything at 28 over a second tier something else. But to me dynamic is someone who should be going in the top 15 but drops into our laps. It's all hypothetical's until we know who is left. But if Taco Charlton, Barnett, Solomon Thomas or Charles Harris is there at 28, no way in hell I'm passing them up for Hasaan Reddick. Now if all of those DE's are gone along with Takkarist McKinley I'd be open to other positions. That could be a LBer, WR, safety, corner, OT or even TE (Really only if Howard somehow fell to us and there is really no great prospect at any of those other positions). I mean we need impact players period.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cray how a college DE who wasn't in anyone's top 50 is now considered a dynamic player that you simply can't pass up at 28. To me he is on the same level as second tier DE's. And I prioritize a DE over third LBer.

But ultimately I'll take a dynamic anything at 28 over a second tier something else. But to me dynamic is someone who should be going in the top 15 but drops into our laps. It's all hypothetical's until we know who is left. But if Taco Charlton, Barnett, Solomon Thomas or Charles Harris is there at 28, no way in hell I'm passing them up for Hasaan Reddick. Now if all of those DE's are gone along with Takkarist McKinley I'd be open to other positions. That could be a LBer, WR, safety, corner, OT or even TE (Really only if Howard somehow fell to us and there is really no great prospect at any of those other positions). I mean we need impact players period.
I am not married to any position really. Give me the best guy, DE, DT, TE, WR, S in that order.

LB is a need but our 'backers have to be so specialized, it would be a waste in a way.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Sounds like Hassan Reddick might have trouble staying in the country these days.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I know you noticed how often Lee was coming on stunts/blitzes over the last month or two of the season. How about how often safeties were brought on blitzes off the edge, including Jones, Heath, and Church?

That's how I envision us using a guy like Reddick, and I think his natural ability to rush combined with his ability to play a traditional LB role could really add something to the defense.

I don't think Marinelli is as rigid as you imply. Who would've expected how often we played with 3-man lines this year and then regularly blitzed DB's on top of that?

I realize alot of it was by necessity, but it was really creative of Marinelli to go away from the standard 4 "rushmen" and mix it up with 3 DL and all the extra DB's on the field, and then blitz different guys. I don't see why that wouldn't continue as we move forward, especially if we have two or three dynamic LB's.

When you combine Lee's injury history with the fact that we rely on him so heavily, along with the obvious uncertainty surrounding Smith, I think there is plenty of value in a dynamic, potential 3 down LB, especially one with a history of being able to rush the passer.

Sure, if Charlton or McKinley are there, I'm going that direction, but what if it's Reddick vs. Carl Lawson?

I'm thinking long and hard about Reddick there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know you noticed how often Lee was coming on stunts/blitzes over the last month or two of the season. How about how often safeties were brought on blitzes off the edge, including Jones, Heath, and Church?

That's how I envision us using a guy like Reddick, and I think his natural ability to rush combined with his ability to play a traditional LB role could really add something to the defense.

I don't think Marinelli is as rigid as you imply. Who would've expected how often we played with 3-man lines this year and then regularly blitzed DB's on top of that?

I realize alot of it was by necessity, but it was really creative of Marinelli to go away from the standard 4 "rushmen" and mix it up with 3 DL and all the extra DB's on the field, and then blitz different guys. I don't see why that wouldn't continue as we move forward, especially if we have two or three dynamic LB's.

When you combine Lee's injury history with the fact that we rely on him so heavily, along with the obvious uncertainty surrounding Smith, I think there is plenty of value in a dynamic, potential 3 down LB, especially one with a history of being able to rush the passer.

Sure, if Charlton or McKinley are there, I'm going that direction, but what if it's Reddick vs. Carl Lawson?

I'm thinking long and hard about Reddick there.
Reddick isn't going to be on the field over Sean Lee or Jaylon Smith. So thoughts of him being the LBer in thos 3-2-6 dime defenses are misplaced.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Reddick isn't going to be on the field over Sean Lee or Jaylon Smith. So thoughts of him being the LBer in thos 3-2-6 dime defenses are misplaced.
I said in a previous post that I think you could see him replacing a DB on the field in those formations, so a 3-3-5. This obviously depends on what happens in free agency and who be bring back, but let's say we let Carr or Wilcox go, as opposed to having Lee/2nd LB and then Wilcox/Church/Jones/Carr/Scandrick/Brown on the field, I think you could see us go 3 LB's and then Jones/Church/Scandrick/Brown/5th DB, whether that's a CB like Carr or safety like Wilcox, with Jones switching between either safety or CB depending on who it is that we re-sign.

And you're fooling yourself if you think Smith is going to be ready to play 80% of snaps from Day 1 after missing nearly two years (he still has a brace on to assist in lifting his foot by the way). Between Smith needing to acclimate back to playing and maybe bumping Lee down to around 85-90% of snaps instead of 100%, I think there would be plenty of snaps for Reddick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said in a previous post that I think you could see him replacing a DB on the field in those formations, so a 3-3-5. This obviously depends on what happens in free agency and who be bring back, but let's say we let Carr or Wilcox go, as opposed to having Lee/2nd LB and then Wilcox/Church/Jones/Carr/Scandrick/Brown on the field, I think you could see us go 3 LB's and then Jones/Church/Scandrick/Brown/5th DB, whether that's a CB like Carr or safety like Wilcox, with Jones switching between either safety or CB depending on who it is that we re-sign.

And you're fooling yourself if you think Smith is going to be ready to play 80% of snaps from Day 1 after missing nearly two years (he still has a brace on to assist in lifting his foot by the way). Between Smith needing to acclimate back to playing and maybe bumping Lee down to around 85-90% of snaps instead of 100%, I think there would be plenty of snaps for Reddick.
Smith missed one season. Saying 2 years is an exaggeration. And he wasn't some run of the mill LBer. He was the ultra rare legit top five pick as a 4-3 LBer. A rare talent.

And running a 3-3-5 sort of defeats the purpose. What advantage does it really give you over a 4-2-5 nickle. The extra LBer makes you weaker in coverage then the 3-2-6. You're running a nickle defense we a worse run defense. And if you rush 4, you'll really just be using Reddick as a nickle DE. Plus against these no huddle offense we can't use a defense like that because they get shredded when they get stuck on the field.

So yeah Reddick would be used but not really what we need.

Top Bottom