Second round targets

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The way they approached free agency I think they certainly set themselves up for a possible trade up. My reasoning is they effectively filled their needs at the DT position, safety position, and brought back Sean Lee. Granted all of those are short-term fills. But I think the Cowboys will be operating with the mindset that most of the holes for the 2020 season have been plugged....so letting go of an extra pick or two in order to move up won't be that big of a deal since there are fewer holes to fill on the 2020 roster.

Just my gut feeling.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For those that don't want to click:

__

In 2014, the Cowboys badly needed pass rush help and made a big move up to the second pick of the second round in a trade with Washington to take DeMarcus Lawrence, believing he was the last right defensive end available. Given the defensive needs now, do they attempt to make a similar move today from No. 51 to land one of the top pass rushers, corners or safeties available? In 2014, it cost them their second- and third-round picks.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer 50m ago

Smitty

DCC 4Life
For those that don't want to click:

__

In 2014, the Cowboys badly needed pass rush help and made a big move up to the second pick of the second round in a trade with Washington to take DeMarcus Lawrence, believing he was the last right defensive end available. Given the defensive needs now, do they attempt to make a similar move today from No. 51 to land one of the top pass rushers, corners or safeties available? In 2014, it cost them their second- and third-round picks.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer 50m ago
I wouldn't into the 30s.

Maybe if the Last of the Mohicans is there at 42 or 45 and they are worried they can't get him at 52. Maybe then you can move up for a 4th.

But there are too many good players to jump up to 33 or 35. If a guy like Chaisson was sitting there, that's a different story, but he's not.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well he said in the first if Lamb hadn't been there, they thought Terrell and Chaisson were about a toss-up.

So I'm guessing they're looking at those positions and not LB. You know how overoptimistic this team always is, I doubt they're even considering LVE's bad neck. My guess from what Moore has said today and last night, they want a DB.
I think if it had come down to either Terrell or Chaisson, the Cowboys would have taken Chaisson without a second thought. The media always overblows our 'need' for cornerbacks for some reason.

Once Lamb and Chaisson were both there with Atlanta on the clock, I didn't have any fear of taking Terrell. My worries leading up to our pick was that Jeudy, Chaisson and Lamb would all go right before us. That was the only way I thought we'd end up with either Terrell or Diggs at 17.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The way they approached free agency I think they certainly set themselves up for a possible trade up. My reasoning is they effectively filled their needs at the DT position, safety position, and brought back Sean Lee. Granted all of those are short-term fills. But I think the Cowboys will be operating with the mindset that most of the holes for the 2020 season have been plugged....so letting go of an extra pick or two in order to move up won't be that big of a deal since there are fewer holes to fill on the 2020 roster.

Just my gut feeling.
I could see them trying to move pick from next year, considering we should have some extra 3rd and 4ths.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I could see them trying to move pick from next year, considering we should have some extra 3rd and 4ths.
I wish they'd just sit back and let it come to them.

Let us keep all our picks for next year. Let's have a year where we go into a draft with all our original picks PLUS some extra thirds and fourths. Then we can start owning the draft.

Instead we're constantly short handed with picks because we are always backfilling from bad trades.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't into the 30s.

Maybe if the Last of the Mohicans is there at 42 or 45 and they are worried they can't get him at 52. Maybe then you can move up for a 4th.

But there are too many good players to jump up to 33 or 35. If a guy like Chaisson was sitting there, that's a different story, but he's not.
Yeah and not at the cost of a third round pick.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I wish they'd just sit back and let it come to them.

Let us keep all our picks for next year. Let's have a year where we go into a draft with all our original picks PLUS some extra thirds and fourths. Then we can start owning the draft.

Instead we're constantly short handed with picks because we are always backfilling from bad trades.
I'm with you. I hate giving up picks. It has to be one hell of a player that also fits need for me to want to trade up.

It's more palatable in the later rounds to move around, so don't mind that nearly as much. But the first three rounds is painful.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus we need numbers. Chido and Lewis are on the last years of their deals. Woods and HaHa are in the last years of their deals. We signed 2 DTs but who knows if those guys last 2 years. So you're sort of in a position that you need guys ready to step in next year on defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with you. I hate giving up picks. It has to be one hell of a player that also fits need for me to want to trade up.

It's more palatable in the later rounds to move around, so don't mind that nearly as much. But the first three rounds is painful.
I might move up for Epenesa but that's about it. The only reason I think he is left is because of a shitty 40 time. Dude would have been better off never running.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't want to give up a 3rd but if we did for McKinney, Baun, Winfield, etc I wouldn't complain.

With that said, I think a borderline 1st type of guy will be there around 40-45 and at that point I bet we could move up with a 4th and change.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I might move up for Epenesa but that's about it. The only reason I think he is left is because of a shitty 40 time. Dude would have been better off never running.
There are a few guys left that I'd consider moving up for. But I wouldn't do it right away. Too expensive, and there are a shit load of guys on the board right now that could step in as day 1 starters for us. I'd only consider trading up if for some reason they all started falling off the board and it looks like none will be left. And for that to happen, we would only be a few picks away from our spot. And it wouldn't be nearly as expensive as it would to move up to say, the top 5 picks of the round. I could see moving from 19 to around 15.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Another positive about targeting Delpit would be that he can play the slot.

So you are getting kind of a guy who can chip in at CB as well as play the deep middle.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Another positive about targeting Delpit would be that he can play the slot.

So you are getting kind of a guy who can chip in at CB as well as play the deep middle.
All three of the top safeties can handle the slot, it's debatable who is best at it, maybe Winfield, but I'd feel comfortable with any of them really.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All three of the top safeties can handle the slot, it's debatable who is best at it, maybe Winfield, but I'd feel comfortable with any of them really.
McKinneys 4.6 speed worries me a bit in the slot.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I'd go Delpit/Hall there instead of Diggs/Burgess, but looking at the pick by itself, I like Diggs in the second.
Same here. If I knew I could get Hall in the 3rd, I'd go with Delpit in round 2. But, it's the draft and anything can happen.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
That's what I was thinking. Trying to mortgage some 2021 picks rather than this year's, based on what they look to be getting in comp picks next year. I'd give up next year's 3rd rounder to move up if a player I love is still on the board.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
2020 NFL Mock Draft: Matt Miller's Day 2 Predictions
MATT MILLER
APRIL 24, 2020

Now that Round 1 of the 2020 NFL draft is in the books, we're ready to project how Day 2 will go.

Here, myself and trusty Stick to Football co-host and NFL Draft 400 scout Marshal "Mello" Miller have laid out our predictions for Rounds 2 and 3.

This is the day when Super Bowls are won. These are the rounds where teams are built. Let's make your favorite team better with a collection of talented players still on the board—in fact, eight of my top 32 players remain available for the taking.

Where does Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor go? How about Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts? The wide receiver class still features potential stars like Clemson's Tee Higgins and Penn State's KJ Hamler.

Where will these players land? Let's take our best guess.

33. BENGALS: LB Zack Baun, Wisconsin
34. COLTS (via WAS): QB Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
35. LIONS: DL Ross Blacklock, TCU
36. GIANTS: OC Lloyd Cushenberry III, LSU
37. PATRIOTS (via LAC): EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State
38. PANTHERS: C Matt Hennessy, Temple
39. DOLPHINS: RB D'Andre Swift, Georgia
40. TEXANS (via ARI): WR Denzel Mims, Baylor
41. BROWNS: S Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota
42. JAGUARS: WR Tee Higgins, Clemson
43. BEARS (via LV): CB Kristian Fulton, LSU
44. COLTS: OT Josh Jones, Houston
45. BUCCANEERS: S Xavier McKinney, Alabama
46. BRONCOS: DL A.J. Epenesa, Iowa
47. FALCONS: RB J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State
48. JETS: CB Jaylon Johnson, Utah
49. STEELERS: QB Jacob Eason, Washington
50. BEARS: WR KJ Hamler, Penn State
51. COWBOYS: DL Marlon Davidson, Auburn
52. RAMS: LB Josh Uche, Michigan
53. EAGLES: LB Malik Harrison, Ohio State
54. BILLS: S Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne
55. RAVENS (via NE/ATL): S Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois
56. DOLPHINS (via NO): WR Michael Pittman Jr., USC
57. RAMS (via HOU): RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
58. VIKINGS: DL Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
59. SEAHAWKS: IOL Robert Hunt, Louisiana-Lafayette
60. RAVENS: RB Cam Akers, Florida State
61. TITANS: CB Trevon Diggs, Alabama
62. PACKERS: WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame
63. CHIEFS (via SF): CB Bryce Hall, Virginia
64. SEAHAWKS (via KC): EDGE Darrell Taylor, Tennessee

Round 3

65. BENGALS: TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
66. REDSKINS: WR Laviska Shenault Jr., Colorado
67. LIONS: S Grant Delpit, LSU
68. JETS (via NYG): WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan
69. PANTHERS: CB Cameron Dantzler, Mississippi State
70. DOLPHINS: EDGE Terrell Lewis, Alabama
71. PATRIOTS (via LAC): DL Jordan Elliott, Missouri
72. CARDINALS: OT Ben Bartch, Saint John's
73. JAGUARS: RB Zack Moss, Utah
74. BROWNS: LB Logan Wilson, Wyoming
75. COLTS: DL Raekwon Davis, Alabama
76. BUCCANEERS: DL Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma
77. BRONCOS: OT Lucas Niang, TCU
78. FALCONS: DL James Lynch, Baylor
79. JETS: EDGE Curtis Weaver, Boise State
80. RAIDERS: DL Leki Fotu, Utah
81. RAIDERS (via CHI): OG John Simpson, Clemson
82. COWBOYS: CB A.J. Green, Oklahoma State
83. BRONCOS (via PIT): LB Willie Gay Jr., Mississippi State
84. RAMS: EDGE Bradlee Anae, Utah
85. LIONS (via PHI): WR Lynn Bowden, Kentucky
86. BILLS: RB Darrynton Evans, Appalachian State
87. PATRIOTS: WR Van Jefferson, Florida
88. SAINTS: LB Troy Dye, Oregon
89. VIKINGS: OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State
90. TEXANS: LB Davion Taylor, Colorado
91. RAIDERS (via SEA/HOU): EDGE Julian Okwara, Notre Dame
92. RAVENS: EDGE Alton Robinson, Syracuse
93. TITANS: WR Devin Duvernay, Texas
94. PACKERS: LB Anfernee Jennings, Alabama
95. BRONCOS (via SF): S Ashtyn Davis, California
96. CHIEFS: TE Harrison Bryant, FAU
97. BROWNS (via HOU)*: S Kenny Robinson, XFL
98. PATRIOTS*: TE Adam Trautman, Dayton
99. GIANTS*: LB Jacob Phillips, LSU
100. PATRIOTS*: CB Terrell Burgess, Utah
101. SEAHAWKS*: WR Gabriel Davis, UCF
102. STEELERS*: RB AJ Dillon, Boston College
103. EAGLES*: CB Stanford Samuels III, FSU
104. RAMS*: OG Damien Lewis, LSU
105. VIKINGS*: S Brandon Jones, Texas
106. RAVENS*: WR Collin Johnson, Texas

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Don't like that one. Davidson is a good player, but it wouldn't feel right with Madubuike, Diggs, Delpit, Dugger, etc... still on the board.

Top Bottom