Seahawks Stuff...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We don't even have an intermediate game right now though (10-20 yards). Almost everything other than the 64 yard TD pass has been under 10 yards in the air.

I hope we actually CAN be effective with the deep stuff and we've just been holding it back. But more concerning is that there's just nothing from 10-20 yards. That's where Dez was once elite, and that's basically gone from our offense at this point.
I think that's where the coaches are hoping Bryce Butler can help out. He would instantly be our biggest receiver and a guy who is actually capable of climbing the ladder and making some of those tougher catches. It's hard to hit those passes over the LBers in the middle of the field without a little size. And with our TE's basically sucking someone like Butler might be our best hope. Or Rico as he slowly is getting more and more playing time. It's just easier to find a giant man like him in the middle of the field. I agree you need to be able to do both though. What we did against the Giants works well when you can jump on top early and drain the clock. But when you fall behind that sort of stuff doesn't work.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have more hope for Rico being an intermediate threat than Bryce Butler.

The guy in my estimation is like Randal Williams. He's like a 10-15 catch a year guy. He is just never gonna be a player in this league who is in your top 3 wide receivers. I don't even think he's a plus fourth wide receiver.

He's like the worst of both worlds in my opinion. He's a 4/5 type WR, but he's not a special teams ace like Dwayne Harris or Sam Hurd, nor is he an upside guy like Miles Austin once was.

He's just a lousy low end WR. His only trait is size and some deep speed.

I am really shocked we can't do better, honestly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have more hope for Rico being an intermediate threat than Bryce Butler.

The guy in my estimation is like Randal Williams. He's like a 10-15 catch a year guy. He is just never gonna be a player in this league who is in your top 3 wide receivers. I don't even think he's a plus fourth wide receiver.

He's like the worst of both worlds in my opinion. He's a 4/5 type WR, but he's not a special teams ace like Dwayne Harris or Sam Hurd, nor is he an upside guy like Miles Austin once was.

He's just a lousy low end WR. His only trait is size and some deep speed.

I am really shocked we can't do better, honestly.
I just hope he can produce at an efficiency level similar to last year. Caught an extremely high percentage of the balls thrown his way and averaged over 20 yards a catch. If he can give us that it's probably more big plays than most of these receivers are capable of outside of Austin.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I just hope he can produce at an efficiency level similar to last year. Caught an extremely high percentage of the balls thrown his way and averaged over 20 yards a catch. If he can give us that it's probably more big plays than most of these receivers are capable of outside of Austin.
Maybe, but if he's not good at any of the other stuff, and I don't really think he is, why do I want him on the field? Solely for the deep stuff?

But I personally think Tavon Austin is better than him as a deep threat and I think he can do the other stuff better too. So unless I'm tipping my hand that I'm gonna run deep routes, I'd rather Beasley, Hurns, Gallup, or even Terrance Williams in there.

Frankly, I think it's this staff's obsession with size at WR. I don't think they are comfortable playing a player as small as Austin such a large percentage of snaps at WR. That's why they kept talking about him as a running back. That's why they are bringing Butler back now, cause they still have no idea how to make it work with a small WR on the outside.

It's pathological. Clinically insane. Austin is all around better than Butler, in every capacity.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We don't even have an intermediate game right now though (10-20 yards). Almost everything other than the 64 yard TD pass has been under 10 yards in the air.

I hope we actually CAN be effective with the deep stuff and we've just been holding it back. But more concerning is that there's just nothing from 10-20 yards. That's where Dez was once elite, and that's basically gone from our offense at this point.
Well that’s my whole point. The intermediate passing game will yield better results when consistent than a few verticle passes. The vertical game is an all or nothing and the percentage factor is pretty low. A short passing game percentage of 75% and an intermediate game of 55 % will be very proficient for both scoring and possession. This allows the running game to be as low as a 3.5 to 4.0 YPC to be effective in the possession mix.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So glad we don't have to dread a Lee injury this year.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
:art

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that’s my whole point. The intermediate passing game will yield better results when consistent than a few verticle passes. The vertical game is an all or nothing and the percentage factor is pretty low. A short passing game percentage of 75% and an intermediate game of 55 % will be very proficient for both scoring and possession. This allows the running game to be as low as a 3.5 to 4.0 YPC to be effective in the possession mix.
Shoot I don't even mind those five yard slants on first down. I know some on this board complain with those types of passes but a second and five is an excellent down and distance. And you always have the possibility of a receiver breaking a tackle and taking it much longer.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Maybe the QB Coach should inform him.

p1_

DCC 4Life

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The best thing that could happen to the offense is to have a consistent short and intermediate passing game. That is what keeps drives going. In the Giants game it was virtually missing. That’s why Dallas went through the 2nd and 3rd quarters without scoring. It’s also this stall that kept NY in the game. If Dak can get past his yips in this part of his delivery Dallas will score more often. It will also allow the running game to be more effective. Dak isn’t consistent because he is still way to up tight. He is aiming the shorter throws rather than just throwing them naturally. If this happened Dallas will beat Seattle. If not then close the door on the season.
Expecting 14-15 play drives every game in order to score TDs isn’t a recipe for success IMO. I believe you are right in the idea of pounding Zele along with nice intermediate passing game to shorten the field where they can get into scoring range. It’s also opens up the RPO for Dak.

vince

Not So New Member
Per Mike Fisher on twitter: @fishsports
Sean Lee (hamstring tightness) in uniform today. Early on, resistance training. Later, some individual drills as well. Sunday, hope to play at #Seahawks @1053thefan.

On the radio he stated he feel it's more serious than what the reports are stating.

:budd

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Despite our problems on offense this is a game that we *should* win. The biggest match up advantage in the game will be our front 7 vs their OL. The Seattle offense is practically all on Russell Wilson. If Marinelli plays it aggressive like he did against the the NYG, our LBs and DL should be blowing up plays in the Seahawks' backfield all afternoon.

That being said, for some reason this coaching staff refuses to stay with what's working from week to week. So it wouldn't surprise me to see them come out trying to run a lot of zone and only rushing 4. It's what they do.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Per Mike Fisher on twitter: @fishsports
Sean Lee (hamstring tightness) in uniform today. Early on, resistance training. Later, some individual drills as well. Sunday, hope to play at #Seahawks @1053thefan.

On the radio he stated he feel it's more serious than what the reports are stating.

:budd
Dude, you must have missed something. We apparently predicted this, and took his replacement in the 2018 draft. We don’t miss his 3 tackle performance now that we have LVE.

vince

Not So New Member
Dude, you must have missed something. We apparently predicted this, and took his replacement in the 2018 draft. We don’t miss his 3 tackle performance now that we have LVE.
Lol hey don't kill the messenger. I want to say I'm surprised but this shit is like clockwork. Another hammy at that.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
I might go so far as to speculate Lee’s release after this season should current trends continue. Put that in your pipe and tug on it . 😊

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might go so far as to speculate Lee’s release after this season should current trends continue. Put that in your pipe and tug on it . ��
If Jaylon continues to develop at this rate and LVE shows that he can be a really good starter it could very well happen. I love me some Sean Lee though, there is still a lot of season left to see what he has in the tank.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They'd only save 7 million against the cap cutting Lee next offseason, he'd have to drop off pretty hard to save about what, 3-4% of the cap?

2019 will be the last year on his deal, I imagine they'll just let him play out the string and then either retire or basically play on a year to year basis like Witten over his final few seasons.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This defense has proven to be absolute dogshit without him. Let's see if anything changes this Sunday.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This is the kind of thing that happens when some overeager yahoo starts a stuff thread on a Monday.

Top Bottom