Romo To Spend Manning-Type Time On Game Planning

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What's even more cool is how Garrett is the shiznit for getting offenses with numbers, but Wade Phillips was poo-pooed for having statistically prolific defenses in terms of sacks. Interesting Schmitty double standard at work.
:lol

I love how Smitty says we can't look at Lovie Smith's track record as a whole, because the only thing that matters is what he's done recently, and that's how Garrett stacks up with him.

But with Garrett, we have to look at his whole record, not his recent track record.

This stuff is indisputable people, because I say so!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo's involvement a mutual agreement
May, 10, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Much was made of Jerry Jones’ comment after the draft regarding the desire to have Tony Romo spend “Peyton Manning time,” at the Cowboys' practice facility.

Listen It turns out the desire was not only Jones’ idea after giving the quarterback a six-year contract worth $119.5 million this offseason, but also the quarterback’s.

“How can we take who you are, the great experience at your age, how can we take this experience and maximize it to win football games?” Jones said.

“What can we do to make that an asset? He has an excellent understanding, an excellent grasp of offensive concepts, an excellent grasp of what he and Jason have been involved in the last seven years ... I’ve been told by many people who’ve worked closer with him than I do that they’ve never heard him have a bad idea, but as we all know you don’t just walk in and have a few good ideas and that be part of the game plan. You’ve got to have prepared, looked at a lot of film, watch your opponents and do that a lot. That takes more time to do and he’s going to be doing that. Certainly he wanted that to be a part of everybody’s understanding and I wanted it to be a part of his and everybody’s understanding. And Jason (Garrett) did, too.”

Jones said he wasn’t being critical of Romo’s work ethic when he made the Manning comparison. Jones said the combination of Romo’s ability and experience makes it more reasonable to expect the day-to-day involvement.

“I want to use everything that he’s got in his computer,” Jones said. “The way to do that is have him involved in a lot of the design and the preparation as we not only prepare the team in general but as we paper for the opponents. He’s qualified to do that.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones: Tony Romo's new Peyton Manning-like involvement part of his natural evolution as QB

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said his comments about quarterback Tony Romo being more involved in the offense and personnal decisions and spending Peyton Manning-time at the team’s Valley Ranch head quarters was more about his natural evolution as an important figure with organization than a suggestion that he wasn’t already doing enough.

Jones said Romo wasn’t ready or qualified to do that even three years ago but is more than capable of handling that responsibility now.

“I want to use everything that he’s got in his computer,” Jones said. “The way to do that is have him involved in a lot of the design and the preparation as we not only prepare the team in general but as we paper for the opponents. He’s qualified to do that.”

And while the foundation of Romo’s new role was born out of the talks between the two sides leading up to the six-year, $108 million contract extension last month, it was a mutual agreed upon decision involving Jones, Romo and coach Jason Garret.

“How can we take who you are, the great experience at your age, how can we take this experience and maximize it to win football games?” Jones said. “What can we do to make that an asset? He has an excellent understanding, an excellent grasp of offensive concepts, an excellent grasp of what he and Jason have been involved in the last seven years. I’ve been told by many people who’ve worked closer with him than I do that they’ve never heard him have a bad idea, but as we all know you don’t just walk in and have a few good ideas and that be part of the game plan. You’ve got to have prepared, looked at a lot of film, watch your opponents and do that a lot. That takes more time to do and he’s going to be doing that. Certainly he wanted that to be a part of everybody’s understanding and I wanted it to be a part of his and everybody’s understanding. And Jason (Garrett) did, too.”

Clarence Hill

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo's involvement a mutual agreement
May, 10, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Much was made of Jerry Jones’ comment after the draft regarding the desire to have Tony Romo spend “Peyton Manning time,” at the Cowboys' practice facility.

Listen It turns out the desire was not only Jones’ idea after giving the quarterback a six-year contract worth $119.5 million this offseason, but also the quarterback’s.

“How can we take who you are, the great experience at your age, how can we take this experience and maximize it to win football games?” Jones said.

“What can we do to make that an asset? He has an excellent understanding, an excellent grasp of offensive concepts, an excellent grasp of what he and Jason have been involved in the last seven years ... I’ve been told by many people who’ve worked closer with him than I do that they’ve never heard him have a bad idea, but as we all know you don’t just walk in and have a few good ideas and that be part of the game plan. You’ve got to have prepared, looked at a lot of film, watch your opponents and do that a lot. That takes more time to do and he’s going to be doing that. Certainly he wanted that to be a part of everybody’s understanding and I wanted it to be a part of his and everybody’s understanding. And Jason (Garrett) did, too.”

Jones said he wasn’t being critical of Romo’s work ethic when he made the Manning comparison. Jones said the combination of Romo’s ability and experience makes it more reasonable to expect the day-to-day involvement.

Repost.

I know it is hard to navigate through a Schmattied thread, but that's still sloppy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Anyways... indisputable that Garrett has run an offense that put up nearly elite yardage numbers from 2007-2011. 2012 also had good numbers but was so inefficient I won't claim that it was great in that respect.

Doesn't happen if you are playing sandlot ball. As Bob pointed out, when we went sandlot this year, that was one of the biggest reasons we were so inefficient.

So clearly... sandlot play was not responsible for the more efficient years past.

Glad everyone can agree on that since it's basically irrefutable.
What the hell does yardage have to do with anything?

Are you really propping Garrett for not being able to finish the job, even you have to see how absurd that is when trying to prop a guy.

Do you think any top GM would hire Garrett based on his ability to generate elite yardage numbers yet still finish in the middle of the pack scoring wise?

Never in the history of the NFL has any coach been propped for his ability to generate yardage without scoring, this is some all time bullshit even for you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Oh boy.

Jiggy and Schmitty.

This could be our first whale thread of the new board.

Brace yourselves, people.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As an aside, we have two men wearing swim trunks avatars and sometimes I wonder why Bipo is so verbose or why Jiggy is so vulgar.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Oh boy.

Jiggy and Schmitty.

This could be our first whale thread of the new board.

Brace yourselves, people.
I don't have the time or inclination to do that anymore.

Besides how long can you argue about a coaches ability to generate elite yardage.:lol

townsend

Banned
If Dave Campo had only had better personnel he would have made it to the playoffs. His defense had elite ranking in yardage in 2001, it was 20th in scoring, but that doesn't matter.

It's a good thing that Parcells came along, because any other replacement would have been exactly as bad.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Doesn't take a Red Headed Genius to do what has been working in the second half of games all game long instead of waiting until the second half to roll it out. Continuing to try to do it his way, despite the personnel issues preventing his scheme from working the way he wanted to was stupid, stubborn, and arrogant.

Any number of coaches could have gone to the spread full time when it was clear the running game wasn't going to get it done.
Uh.... going to the spread was inefficient. Abandoning the gameplan did not lead to 2007 or 2009 levels of efficiency. It was just better than the gameplans that were not working THIS year.

I agree with you Garrett's gameplans did not work this year. In years past, they very much have.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What the hell does yardage have to do with anything?
Someone made the idiotic claim that Garrett was not good at anything including running an offense that racks up yards.

Are you really propping Garrett for not being able to finish the job, even you have to see how absurd that is when trying to prop a guy.
I wasn't propping him for not being able to finish. I was saying he very clearly knows how to run an offense that accumulates yards.

And the reason the scoring hasn't matched the yardage is due in large part to the OL these past seasons.

Do you think any top GM would hire Garrett based on his ability to generate elite yardage numbers yet still finish in the middle of the pack scoring wise?
I suspect Garrett will get more work once Jerry Jones finishes fucking up his situation here.

Never in the history of the NFL has any coach been propped for his ability to generate yardage without scoring, this is some all time bullshit even for you.
I'm not propping him for that dumbass. I'm arguing against the idiotic assertion that Garrett doesn't know how to run an offense that accumulates yards. He clearly does.

It's indisputable. That one is for you, Geng.

Some people hate him so much they won't give him credit for the things he clearly is good at.

Meanwhile, I have admitted his faults many times. Thus we keep having these debates, because Clay keeps saying ridiculous things as if Garrett is the worst offensive coach in the league.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Uh.... going to the spread was inefficient. Abandoning the gameplan did not lead to 2007 or 2009 levels of efficiency. It was just better than the gameplans that were not working THIS year.

I agree with you Garrett's gameplans did not work this year. In years past, they very much have.
Garrett would be better than Campo. So would Lovie.

Because both guys are in the same category as each other.

Top Bottom