Report: Cowboys ‘leading contender’ to acquire Ravens safety Earl Thomas

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sign him and protect the team with language the same way they did with the injury clause in McCoy's contract.

If we get an "exposure discount" then this is a no brainer. He brings too much of exactly what we need to the table to ignore.

data

Forbes #1
The yacht is making its way up the Eastern seaboard from Miami. Is it going to Baltimore?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'm on board if it's an incentive deal. You can always cut him if he doesn't fit in. But talentwise having a legit play maker back there would be great. I'm also a little concerned that HaHa doesn't even look better than Thompson right now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Apparently he missed multiple meetings during his time in Baltimore including taking a spontaneous vacation blowing off a meeting during a bye week.

So it appears Harbaugh was already at a tipping point of sorts because he immediately sent Thomas home after he just punched a teammate in camp. Normally you’d just break up camp altercations and issue fines.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Apparently he missed multiple meetings during his time in Baltimore including taking a spontaneous vacation blowing off a meeting during a bye week.

So it appears Harbaugh was already at a tipping point of sorts because he immediately sent Thomas home after he just punched a teammate in camp. Normally you’d just break up camp altercations and issue fines.
I think I'm out. We don't need that shit.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
These were some of my thoughts on the matter.

I think MCcarthy and his staff are better equipped to manage stronger personalities than Jason Garrett and his Kumbaya approach. But then I wonder about Jerry. He has a long history of bending over backwards and acquiescing to players with character issues.

Personally I'd pass on Thomas and just roll with what we've got. I think the fact that our defense will now be doing things like disguising their coverage will provide a decent enough bump in production.

1bigfan13

Staff member

Just saw this right after my last post. If this is true, this is exactly what I was talking about. Talented player but we need a culture change here in Dallas and from the sound of it Earl Thomas is content to just mail it in the rest of his career and simply "get by".

Pass.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Just saw this right after my last post. If this is true, this is exactly what I was talking about. Talented player but we need a culture change here in Dallas and from the sound of it Earl Thomas is content to just mail it in the rest of his career and simply "get by".

Pass.
No, damnit!!!

He was fighting his way out of Baltimore because he wants to be a Cowboy!

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life

Pass.
I can't disagree with anyone taking this position at this point, even if it differs from my own.

If I could get Thomas on a pay-as-you-go type of deal in the dollar range of recent signings like McCoy, Poe, or Griffen, I'd pull the trigger.

I think he's still a significant upgrade over either Woods or Clinton-Dix.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I can't disagree with anyone taking this position at this point, even if it differs from my own.

If I could get Thomas on a pay-as-you-go type of deal in the dollar range of recent signings like McCoy, Poe, or Griffen, I'd pull the trigger.

I think he's still a significant upgrade over either Woods or Clinton-Dix.
It would definitely have to be one of those carrot on a stick type of deals to keep him motivated and hungry.

I suppose coming home to play in his home state could also improve his attitude.

But that's a lot of 'ifs and coulds'.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This guy would help the team so much on the field, but you get the feeling on top of the newness of the staff, the culture we’re starting, and this COVID mess we don’t need yet another disruption.

Then again we did trade for Charles “defecate in my teammate’s car” Haley, so who knows?

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
It would definitely have to be one of those carrot on a stick type of deals to keep him motivated and hungry.

I suppose coming home to play in his home state could also improve his attitude.

But that's a lot of 'ifs and coulds'.
Definitely. I still expect that he's all about the money and after the most money he can get. And if that's the case, let someone else do it. I'd peg the 49'ers as a bigger favorite than the Cowboys right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely. I still expect that he's all about the money and after the most money he can get. And if that's the case, let someone else do it. I'd peg the 49'ers as a bigger favorite than the Cowboys right now.
Sounds like the Ravens will be paying him regardless. So unless the money is more than that I don't know if it matters much.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Sounds like the Ravens will be paying him regardless. So unless the money is more than that I don't know if it matters much.
With Thomas, it always has. Campaigned, complained, and left on bad terms when Seattle wouldn't give him what he wanted.

Backed out of a verbal agreement with Kansas City when Baltimore offered him more.

And rebuffed the Cowboys for both of those teams, despite claims of wanting to 'come home'.

For Earl Thomas, it's always been about the money.

And just my guess, but I think the agreement between he and the Ravens ultimately means that he keeps everything he's been paid if the Ravens get off the hook for the $10 million they were supposed to guarantee him for this year.

Top Bottom