Report: Adrian Peterson indicted on child abuse charges

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I spanked all of my kids. My poor oldest son seems like he got his ass beat weekly until he was 14. The second son was pretty compliant. My third son took moderate beatings. My fourth son has been spanned maybe twice in his life. My daughter have only been shanked a handful of times combined.

I made up my mind that I would never spank my kids while angry. Spanning is for their discipline and not an outlet for anger. I made sure they completely understood why I spanked was spanking them, calmly swatted them with a light paddle, waited until they composed themselves and then clarified what the punishment was for. The paddle left a nice sting on the ass without much force.

I agree with 1big...it is more beneficial for younger kids. Discipline is extremely important. My kids are well behaved and respectful. Iamtdg has been around them some. Of course, they are human so we've had our struggles.
Your kids are extremely well-behaved. They are also very respectful and just overall great kids. As a matter of fact the time I met them they reminded me very much of my own. You just have about 10 times as many as I do. :unsure

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Alternatively, you can raise children without hitting or spanking and a large majority of them turn out great.

Believe it or not it does happen.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Overboard, overzealous. But these cries to permaban him from the league as some sort of abusive monster is typical overreaction from the fake socially conscious Twitter/Gawker twerps.

If this falls under the personal conduct policy, fine, suspend him some games and move on.

It is a little different from the Rice thing, IMO.

If that makes me insensitive, so be it. I spanked my kids, he went too far.

There are many many real examples of child abuse every day, sometimes getting switched isn't nearly as bad as some stupid fuck who doesn't adequately feed, clothe and nuture a kid.
There are certainly worse things, but for him to apologize by saying it was unintentional is not very honest either. I do think the Vikings are right in deactivating him, but not sure what, if at anything, the league should do with him.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Alternatively, you can raise children without hitting or spanking and a large majority of them turn out great.

Believe it or not it does happen.
Yeah, for sure. Seems like I keep hearing the "well, that's the way I was raised" argument. And? As a parent you are under no obligation to employ every aspect of your own experience. If you were raised by racists does that mean bigotry is OK? By a spousal abuser then that is OK?

I realize that's mostly apples to oranges since physical discipline of one's children by a reasonable person is generally used as a teaching tool and is not truly abusive. The point is simply that just because someone took ass whippings from their parents doesn't mean it's a tradition of discipline that has to be passed on to their own children. Not all children need to have their ass beat to be taught how to behave.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
There are certainly worse things, but for him to apologize by saying it was unintentional is not very honest either. I do think the Vikings are right in deactivating him, but not sure what, if at anything, the league should do with him.
I am interested in seeing how this plays out since we have all the Ray Rice stuff going on plus the Hardy situation.

I think this is a case where the league needs to hold off on handing down an immediate suspension. I know they may be tempted to do so considering the current climate of the league but I think waiting to gather more info is the right thing to do.

I do agree with the Vikings deactivating him. Deactivating him is good for both sides, IMO. He's not losing a game check but he's also being semi-punished in that he's not allowed to play, plus it provides a bit of a cooling off period for PR purposes. Him playing 48 hours after this story breaks is a bad look. Sit him down for a week and let everyone catch their breath and let the investigation play out.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, for sure. Seems like I keep hearing the "well, that's the way I was raised" argument. And? As a parent you are under no obligation to employ every aspect of your own experience. If you were raised by racists does that mean bigotry is OK? By a spousal abuser then that is OK?

I realize that's mostly apples to oranges since physical discipline of one's children by a reasonable person is generally used as a teaching tool and is not truly abusive. The point is simply that just because someone took ass whippings from their parents doesn't mean it's a tradition of discipline that has to be passed on to their own children. Not all children need to have their ass beat to be taught how to behave.
I didn't pass that style of discipline along because my dad did it. I did it because it was effective.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I hate to say this, but a lot of them do. If discipline is not administered at home, it certainly won't be enforced in our shitty ass school system.

At least you could count on one or the other years ago.

Not now.

The last few generations have been more and more PC, more and more liberal, and a lot less concerned about things like discipline, work ethic and doing the right thing. There is an entire coddled entitled "you are a unique snowflake" generation now that has zero respect for rules, authority and just common decency.

I know that doesn't apply here, but I just felt it needed to be said.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I hate to say this, but a lot of them do. If discipline is not administered at home, it certainly won't be enforced in our shitty ass school system.

At least you could count on one or the other years ago.

Not now.

The last few generations have been more and more PC, more and more liberal, and a lot less concerned about things like discipline, work ethic and doing the right thing. There is an entire coddled entitled "you are a unique snowflake" generation now that has zero respect for rules, authority and just common decency.

I know that doesn't apply here, but I just felt it needed to be said.
I mostly agree with what you're saying, I just don't think that discipline has to necessarily be in the form of beating your kids ass. If reasonable parents handle spanking without getting carried away in order to teach their kids a lesson then I have no problem with it. But I think it immediately becomes a slippery slope when they start using things like belts and switches, particularly if they are still angry when they use them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mostly agree with what you're saying, I just don't think that discipline has to necessarily be in the form of beating your kids ass. If reasonable parents handle spanking without getting carried away in order to teach their kids a lesson then I have no problem with it. But I think it immediately becomes a slippery slope when they start using things like belts and switches, particularly if they are still angry when they use them.
I got paddled in school and I feel safe in saying that the teacher who administered it, wasn't angry in the least. I know I learned from that lesson that yeah, I kinda wasn't going to commit that negative behavior again.

That's why I am saying overall we are failing as a nation to understand discipline, no matter where it comes from.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Take away a phone or iPad is maybe the harshest punishment known to man. That is far more effective for me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Take away a phone or iPad is maybe the harshest punishment known to man. That is far more effective for me.
I have techno-banned my oldest for a week. It is effective in a way.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I usually like to just grab the smallest child by the feet and swing them like a two handed mace at the others. Enforces discipline, and I get a workout at the same time.

Win/win.

Cotton

Staff member
I have techno-banned my oldest for a week. It is effective in a way.
Yeah, it has it's use, but early in a kid's life, shock is the most effective way to teach that lesson, IMO. Taking away a phone doesn't have that effect, to me. Now, like I said before, I think all kids react to disciplinary techniques in a different way. Spanking my daughter showed very ineffective early in her life, so we revisited it, and came up with a better plan.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, it has it's use, but early in a kid's life, shock is the most effective way to teach that lesson, IMO. Taking away a phone doesn't have that effect, to me. Now, like I said before, I think all kids react to disciplinary techniques in a different way. Spanking my daughter showed very ineffective early in her life, so we revisited it, and came up with a better plan.
Yeah, the old "I am gonna take your Leapfrog away from you" on a younger one doesn't carry the same power.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

Man, ain't that the truth.

When we took the Playstation and IPad away from my daughter for a week, you would've thought that we had put her in a prison similar to the one from Count of Monte Cristo.

She was absolutely miserable.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I agree. I don't like that reasoning either. I don't do a bunch of stuff that I was raised with.

However you chose to do it do it with love and create a good secure structure for you kids and you have a good chance. Some kids are straight up strong willed and you will never change that. If you can learn to shape that rather than lose your temper while being frustrated you can end up with a great adult that becomes a strong leader.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:lol

Man, ain't that the truth.

When we took the Playstation and IPad away from my daughter for a week, you would've thought that we had put her in a prison similar to the one from Count of Monte Cristo.

She was absolutely miserable.

We call the playstation the stupid box. It sucks their brains dry and turns kids into idiots. We don't really encourage all of the games and technology until achievement has been reached. My kids own a game cube. No lie. That's all they have. I literally hate those things. Every time I've let them have one it took about a month before they were walking around like zombies like a heroin addict. Then again all of my kids play sports year round, so that fills in nicely. I don't into the notion that my kids will suffer from not having a few things.

Academic achievement and service to your community are things that we focus on. So for it is working great. They all are far and away more advanced than their peers. They can communicate to adults and have a general better demeanor than most of the kids around them.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
When I say far and away above their peers I am taking about academically. Other than that they are normal average kids. I made it seem like they were some super duper kids that are better than all of yours.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Suddenly, it feels like Adrian Peterson won’t be a Viking much longer

With Vikings running back Adrian Peterson indicted on child abuse charges only days after the Ray Rice video turned the NFL on its head, it’s unclear when Peterson will return to the field for the Vikings.

It’s becoming more clear that he may not be a Viking much longer.

Already in the big-money years of a contract that devotes way too much cash to a devalued position, the charges against Peterson could sufficiently diminish his standing in the eyes of the fan base to allow the Vikings to free themselves of salaries of $12.75 million in 2015, $14.75 million in 2016, and $15.75 million in 2017. (Moving on from Peterson after the coming season would result in a paltry cap charge of $2.4 million.)

Despite the reality that the Vikings could use that money to find a stable of very good running backs with plenty left over to address other needs, it was believed by many before Friday that the Vikings would never let him go. Peterson believed that, too.

“I think the organization would take a heavy hit — for real — more so from the fan base,” Peterson said earlier this year regarding the consequences of cutting him. “I don’t think it would be like a LeBron [James] situation where they’re burning my jersey, this, that and the other. They might be doing [the opposite] and not buying some season tickets.”

The charges against Peterson potentially will turn that dynamic on its head, with the Vikings ultimately scoring points among the fan base by moving on from one of the greatest running backs in NFL history. And with $43.25 million in extra cash and cap space from 2015 through 2017, the Vikings could build the kind of team that will quickly make the fans forget about a player who, before Friday, may now be unforgettable for very different reasons.

Top Bottom