Report: Adrian Peterson indicted on child abuse charges

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Especially when you consider that another one of his kids died from a beating from a different man, I think it needs to be taken pretty seriously.
Not sure the relevance. He wasn't involved in that one. Do these kids have the same mama?

Thorn

Brand New Member
Not sure the relevance. He wasn't involved in that one. Do these kids have the same mama?
Maybe it's not relevant. I'm speaking less towards the NFL's reaction and more towards the incident. I don't think that the NFL should factor another man's actions into any punishment AP gets, but I do think that fans should take it into mind when you're trying to decide how serious this is, as an observer.

Not sure if that makes sense. I guess I'm just trying to say that it's a pretty serious situation, given the circumstances in and around his life and the lives of his children.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe it's not relevant. I'm speaking less towards the NFL's reaction and more towards the incident. I don't think that the NFL should factor another man's actions into any punishment AP gets, but I do think that fans should take it into mind when you're trying to decide how serious this is, as an observer.

Not sure if that makes sense. I guess I'm just trying to say that it's a pretty serious situation, given the circumstances in and around his life and the lives of his children.
Maybe booze's question was seeking a common denominator like the mama could be responsible for some of the marks on the child?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You can ask anyone that knows me. My kids sit respectfully everywhere we go if that's what instructed of them to do. You will never even find my kids running around a grocery store. They are right beside us the whole time.
Or else you beat the living shit out of them, right? :art

Totally kidding.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Or else you beat the living shit out of them, right? :art

Totally kidding.
It only took a couple of disciplinary actions (spankings) to get my son to buy in. It took a different approach with my daughter. She hates to be alone so anytime she needed attention to her behavior we would isolator her. We would make her sit in the middle of her bed for an hour and we would remind her about every 20 mins why she was sitting there. Both are good kids. But they are still kids and need constant attention to keep them in line, but so far I think we have done well.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I got hit with the belt all the time when I was a kid growing up, so I'm all for giving a kid a good whoopin' when the time calls for it.

But some of these pics look bad and it looks like he went a little too far.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know, I think I am going to reserve judgment until everything is clear. If he gave his kid a straight up beat down he obviously needs dealt with.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't have an issue with spanking/switching but if you're drawing blood you're probably going too far. I agree with Skidadl though, wait and see how the whole thing pans out.

I got my ass beat once when I was, I want to say six. 4 sharp whacks on my ass from my mother was enough for me to learn my lesson. All she had to do is stand their with her hands on her hips and shoot you "the look" and you knew when to stop what you were doing. She babysat some kids I grew up with and to this day, they remember that look. The woman took no crap from a child but she wasn't mean or abusive.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Look, there is nothing worse than a child abuser.

But if you take a look around Twitter, for example, the fake fucking outrage is everywhere.

It is utterly amazing how nobody gives a shit about child abuse, wife beating and animal cruelty when it happens,every single minute in front of their faces. But a incident like this, or Ray Rice? Asdfjdjdjejsyebfowasd!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Look, there is nothing worse than a child abuser.

But if you take a look around Twitter, for example, the fake fucking outrage is everywhere.

It is utterly amazing how nobody gives a shit about child abuse, wife beating and animal cruelty when it happens,every single minute in front of their faces. But a incident like this, or Ray Rice? Asdfjdjdjejsyebfowasd!
Then there is the other side of the coin with the parents that raise little shit monsters because they refuse to discipline them. They also get upside down with any other parent that looks crosswise at a child. I don't know which is worse the hall monitors or the immature parents to go too far. I know for myself that if I am in a public place like a restaurant and undisciplined children are close I ask to be moved. Bottom line for me is that the general requirement for raising most children takes a certain amount of physical discipline. There are some however that will look you in the eye and spit nails back at you when you bust their butt.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Then there is the other side of the coin with the parents that raise little shit monsters because they refuse to discipline them. They also get upside down with any other parent that looks crosswise at a child. I don't know which is worse the hall monitors or the immature parents to go too far. I know for myself that if I am in a public place like a restaurant and undisciplined children are close I ask to be moved. Bottom line for me is that the general requirement for raising most children takes a certain amount of physical discipline. There are some however that will look you in the eye and spit nails back at you when you bust their butt.
I agree with this. Especially with kids under 5 who generally don't understand reasoning but they damn sure understand that a whipping is bad and they'll generally straighten up quickly once they've had a couple. Then all you have to do is show them the belt or make the verbal threat.

I probably haven't had to whip my kids in 7 or 8 years. And even when they were getting whippings the whippings were usually few and far between because we set boundaries early when they were toddlers.

Also, I agree with [MENTION=22]Texas Ace[/MENTION]. If you're drawing blood you've gone too far. I wouldn't even beat an animal like that let alone kid. From my experience, 5 or 6 good swats across the backside usually sends a good message.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Roddy White dubs PFT “complete asswholes” for highlighting his Adrian Peterson tweet

Posted by Mike Florio on September 13, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

On Friday night, as the worst five-day period in NFL history (I really wish that were hyperbole) was coming to a conclusion, Falcons receiver Roddy White spat a masticated cherry atop a rancid pile of bad news and half-truths.

“I’m probably going to lose my fantasy football matchup this week cause [Adrian Peterson] can’t play Sunday for disciplining his child Jesus help us,” White said on Twitter, reacting to the Vikings’ decision to deactivate their star running back after Peterson was indicted for reckless or negligent injury to a child.

White, presumably after hearing from his coach, G.M., owner, and/or agents, deleted the tweet, replacing it with an apology.

“I should not have made light of a very serious situation,” Whte said. “I understand the strong feelings about this issue and i shouldn’t have said that.”

But the apology apparently wasn’t genuine. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have lashed out at PFT for writing a post about his insensitive, ugly, and awful remark about the Peterson situation.

“[Y]ou guys are complete asswholes,” White said in a tweet directed to the PFT account.

I’ve interviewed Roddy White both in person and by phone, and he seems like a nice guy. But he’s done some misguided things over the years, starting with his decision to display a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt under his game jersey and continuing with periodic regrettable remarks on Twitter that are largely overlooked by the media. This one was too big to ignore, so MDS wrote an item about it.

Basically, White wants to be sorry for his idiotic statement on his own terms. He apparently believes that deleting the tweet and adding an apology will mean that he never said the insensitive, ugly, and awful thing he said. He also apparently believes that anyone who fails to participate in the charade is an “asswhole.”

If that’s the definition of an “asswhole,” then we’ll gladly whear that badge.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Roddy White is a moron.

He had no idea what this child had gone through when he made that statement. Social media really reveals how stupid our society has become.

Without knowing the facts, people are so quick to use social media to either defend or vilify the person in question, and in the process, make complete fools of themselves.

I whipped my kids when they were younger, but like 1big, I rarely had to do it because the law was laid down early. I too was hit with the belt and a lot more frequently than I hit my kids. But drawing blood and going completely apeshit on a child is uncalled for. From what I can tell, AP hit that child one too many times.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I spanked all of my kids. My poor oldest son seems like he got his ass beat weekly until he was 14. The second son was pretty compliant. My third son took moderate beatings. My fourth son has been spanned maybe twice in his life. My daughter have only been shanked a handful of times combined.

I made up my mind that I would never spank my kids while angry. Spanning is for their discipline and not an outlet for anger. I made sure they completely understood why I spanked was spanking them, calmly swatted them with a light paddle, waited until they composed themselves and then clarified what the punishment was for. The paddle left a nice sting on the ass without much force.

I agree with 1big...it is more beneficial for younger kids. Discipline is extremely important. My kids are well behaved and respectful. Iamtdg has been around them some. Of course, they are human so we've had our struggles.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Peterson went way, way overboard IMO. I know many believe in switch and belt beatings...not my style, but to each his own. Breaking the skin though is too much though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Peterson went way, way overboard IMO. I know many believe in switch and belt beatings...not my style, but to each his own. Breaking the skin though is too much though.
Overboard, overzealous. But these cries to permaban him from the league as some sort of abusive monster is typical overreaction from the fake socially conscious Twitter/Gawker twerps.

If this falls under the personal conduct policy, fine, suspend him some games and move on.

It is a little different from the Rice thing, IMO.

If that makes me insensitive, so be it. I spanked my kids, he went too far.

There are many many real examples of child abuse every day, sometimes getting switched isn't nearly as bad as some stupid fuck who doesn't adequately feed, clothe and nuture a kid.

Top Bottom