Random Politics Stuff Thread...

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
That's true but what I mean is, we were all voting independent candidates long before any of us posted here.

Many of us have a history of voting according to our beliefs and conscience rather than blind allegiance or party affiliation.
Thats good and my take as well but I always wonder where my blind spots are

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I'm not so sure.
What little I recall of what he said and did seems night and day from the tone of current politicians.

I love the statement "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You But What You Can Do For Your Country"

It seems to me he handled the Bay of Pigs situation pretty well by allowing the Russians to save face (I'm sure I'll creamed for this take by someone more informed)

and he and his brother seemed to be on the right side of the civil rights issues

bottom line is from what little I've seen of the way he (& other politicians) spoke in that era is refreshing compared to the nonsense that occurs today

PS...my favorite thing Perot did was when he gave the presentation about social security and explained how if you and I did what they government did, we'd all be in jail

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What little I recall of what he said and did seems night and day from the tone of current politicians.

I love the statement "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You But What You Can Do For Your Country"
Back then everyone loved the country, they just differed on what the best policies were. Now one group actually thinks the country is terrible and needs to be uprooted and re-started. If you asked them what they could do for their country, they'd say "Why should I do anything for this country? This country sucks. I'm aggrieved and it's the country's fault."

cml750

Not So New Member
I thought Kennedy put the issue to rest, but ACB proved us wrong.
The current Pope is so far to the left of Barrett the left would welcome her following his orders. I mean this Pope just came out in favor of same sex unions. I doubt he has cracked open his Bible since he frst became a priest.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's true but what I mean is, we were all voting independent candidates long before any of us posted here.

Many of us have a history of voting according to our beliefs and conscience rather than blind allegiance or party affiliation.
I voted Democrat in the Gubernatorial election in Texas a few elections ago. Mainly because I wanted that dipshit Rick Perry gone.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The issue with Kennedy as the candidate was the fear the pope would usurp an authority over him.

That I understand (although it's not necessarily rational), but I'm talking about voting for someone just because they are Catholic, or any other affiliation or religion.

A candidate's religion should have zero to do with whether you'd vote for them in a secular government.

Just a week or two ago someone was saying to me that she was starting to like Biden because she just found out he's Catholic.

Maybe she's an outlier I don't know.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

cml750

Not So New Member
a priest digging gay relationships? unheard of. :tippytoe
DIgging them is one thing but endorsing them is a whole other matter for a man of the cloth.

cml750

Not So New Member
It's all about abortion. They would've been suspicious of any conservative woman nominee, but especially a Catholic.
It honestly would not surprise me at all to this Pope come out in favor of murdering babies.

Top Bottom