Random Politics Stuff Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is literally saying that the way to fight inflation is to raise taxes and take more money from the people. Jesus Christ, that is absolute economic lunacy.
I think he is actually that clueless. Politicians aren't intelligent people. They just know how to politic. Most of these fucks couldn't even pass an economics course.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think he is actually that clueless. Politicians aren't intelligent people. They just know how to politic. Most of these fucks couldn't even pass an economics course.
This is how I lean, too.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cujo

DCC 4Life
These fuckers either don't know what they're talking about or they think they can just push absolute idiocy and expect the American people to believe it.

They are too accustomed to their voters believing everything they say. Their entire agenda is reliant upon it now

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well raising taxes is ONE way to fight inflation.

I just wouldn't think it was the best way.

Inflation is a problem when there's too much demand (and money available to fund the demand) and not enough supply (services/products).

The solution should be to increase supply/output. But another solution would be to take money away, ie, the opposite of the thing that caused this inflation (the stimulus putting loads of money into everyone's hands). Raising taxes would, in theory, do that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Inflation is a problem when there's too much demand (and money available to fund the demand) and not enough supply (services/products).

The solution should be to increase supply/output. But another solution would be to take money away, ie, the opposite of the thing that caused this inflation (the stimulus putting loads of money into everyone's hands). Raising taxes would, in theory, do that.
So yes increasing taxes can lower inflation. It's just because people have less money to spend. Resulting in less money to make purchases which decreases the price of goods. But that doesn't actually help people. That's just a shitty way of saying, see we stopped inflation, while actually hurting people. I guess it could potentially help the people who avoid paying taxes. But again, you're not helping the economy overall, you're actually hurting it. Again, these people have no idea what economics are. They were just told by someone that increased taxes can slow the inflation rate. Without actually understanding why.

You're absolutely right in that if you want to fix this and make people's lives better you have to worry about the supply side. And taxes don't actually help the supply side at all. In fact increased taxes can have some negative impacts on the supply side of things.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

But the biggest cause of inflation is simple money printing, and this wouldn't solve that at all.

In fact, we know they'd probably react to the economic downtick these raised taxes would cause by... of course... printing trillions more dollars in the name of stimulus and "rescue plans."

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So yes increasing taxes can lower inflation. It's just because people have less money to spend. Resulting in less money to make purchases which decreases the price of goods. But that doesn't actually help people. That's just a shitty way of saying, see we stopped inflation, while actually hurting people. I guess it could potentially help the people who avoid paying taxes. But again, you're not helping the economy overall, you're actually hurting it. Again, these people have no idea what economics are. They were just told by someone that increased taxes can slow the inflation rate. Without actually understanding why.

You're absolutely right in that if you want to fix this and make people's lives better you have to worry about the supply side. And taxes don't actually help the supply side at all. In fact increased taxes can have some negative impacts on the supply side of things.
Right, this was my point. Taking away money can stop inflation because no one will be able to afford things, it's just a fucking stupid solution.

We all get more wealthy the more things are produced. That's the solution to all of this. Produce more, more cheaply.

If even the poorest person had everything they needed in excess, then it wouldn't matter if there was a 1% or not.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right, this was my point. Taking away money can stop inflation because no one will be able to afford things, it's just a fucking stupid solution.

We all get more wealthy the more things are produced. That's the solution to all of this. Produce more, more cheaply.

If even the poorest person had everything they needed in excess, then it wouldn't matter if there was a 1% or not.
Yep, and there are a number of factors as to why the supply side sucks right now. Covid, people just choosing not to work, Companies withholding goods, all that stuff.

Cotton

Staff member

This is exactly right.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They fucking better not. It’s bad enough as it is.
Some of the shit going on feels like it's straight out of the movies. It feels that unreal and ridiculous to me.

I'm not even talking about somewhat realistic movies. I'm talking about movies like Minority Report or Harry Potter.

Cotton

Staff member
Some of the shit going on feels like it's straight out of the movies. It feels that unreal and ridiculous to me.
Covid did that. It's ridiculous how that was handled. Couple that with the insane trans bullshit and teaching sex to 5 year olds, and it is not a movie I would watch twice.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
They fucking better not. It’s bad enough as it is.
They know how bad the polls are, and they aren't going to just sit there and take a beating this November. They're going to double down and do as many radical things as they can before then.

Cotton

Staff member
They know how bad the polls are, and they aren't going to just sit there and take a beating this November. They're going to double down and do as many radical things as they can before then.
They think that helps them? Hell, they are fucking with our money (inflation) and our kids (CRT and the whole teaching babies sex) and the absolute two highest things on people's lists that you don't fuck with are a person's money or his kids. They are going to get slaughtered if they run on this shit.

Top Bottom