Post your draft grades

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The vast majority of these "grades" are coming from people who know the team less than we do, so I don't really give them much weight.

With that said, for the people giving the draft C's or whatever, I can almost guarantee you that if we had taken Ridley/Moore at 19 and Jewell or some other LB at 81 they'd be giving us B+'s/A's.

The fact of the matter is the less knowledgeable these people are the more weight they put into us passing on a WR in the top 2 rounds.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I know there were some who really loved Gallup in the scouting world. He reminds me some of Cooper Kupp last year in the sense that he does everything well and is a polished player. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gallup have a similar rookie season except Gallup is obviously younger. This WR class was packed with so many guys who were on a similar level in my opinion. It led to a ton of different opinions on who the best guys were and weren't.

I know some are calling it overkill to draft 2 WRs but I totally disagree. Cedrick Wilson is one of those WR's who sort of fell through the cracks. Highly productive and with excellent size at 6'2". Ignoring for a second Tavon Austin who I don't really know how we plan to use him. We needed 2 WR's. Hurns, Williams, Beasley, and Thompson you figure will all make the roster. Although I'd have no problem cutting Beasley or Thompson but that's a different story. Which means you have about 2 open spots. The only reason to keep Austin around in my opinion is as a returner. I've read we will use him as a RB essentially anyway. So if you think of it like that than we have 2 WR's who will probably fill in those last two spots.

The big thing is that in a year Wilson and Gallup will probably be occupying top 3 WR spots on this roster. We need that youth here developing.
Allen Hurns
Terrence Williams
Cole Beasley
Deonte Thompson
Noah Brown
Lance Lenoir
KD Cannon
Michael Gallup
Cedrick Wilson

Nine guys. For at the most, 6 spots.

Let's say we keep 6... though that may be tough with a third QB likely to make it this year, as well as 4 TEs again probably (Gathers, Schultz, Swaim, Jarwin, or replace Jarwin with Witten if he returns).

Which 6 you got?

I am interested in Cannon cause of his deep speed and the fact that he had pretty high draft stock when he came out, yet went undrafted for some reason. I feel like I'd like to see him stick. That means there is no way Deonte Thompson can really make it. There may be no way he makes it anyway. I'd have:

Hurns
Williams
Beasley
Gallup
Wilson

with

Thompson
Lenoir

as the cuts. The last spot as either Brown or Cannon. Probably Brown I guess.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The vast majority of these "grades" are coming from people who know the team less than we do, so I don't really give them much weight.

With that said, for the people giving the draft C's or whatever, I can almost guarantee you that if we had taken Ridley/Moore at 19 and Jewell or some other LB at 81 they'd be giving us B+'s/A's.

The fact of the matter is the less knowledgeable these people are the more weight they put into us passing on a WR in the top 2 rounds.
I flat out ignore any idiot that dings a grade because need position X or splashy player Y was passed over.

Dallas had needs everywhere.

My only knock was LVE probably went too high, but in Dallas’ defense there probably wasn’t a good trade-down partner at that point of the draft. Better to get your guy than fuck around.

Overall: A-

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I flat out ignore any idiot that dings a grade because need position X or splashy player Y was passed over.

Dallas had needs everywhere.

My only knock was LVE probably went too high, but in Dallas’ defense there probably wasn’t a good trade-down partner at that point of the draft. Better to get your guy than fuck around.

Overall: A-
Maybe, maybe not. Evans went 3 picks later and I like LVE more than him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The WR cutdown is definitely going to be an interesting one to watch. It really wouldn't surprise me to see either Williams or Beasley gone by either cut or trade towards the end of camp.

If I had to guess right now, I'd go

Hurns
Williams
Gallup
Thompson
Brown/Wilson

The loser of the Brown and Wilson comp for the fifth spot will go in the PS. Although I think they might fear Wilson would get claimed off waivers, so that might give him the edge over Brown. Bye, Beas.

*I could also see Thompson being cut in favor of Beasley, for familiarity sake. But I think in the end, they'll keep Thompson for the veteran presence (which they both offer) but the deciding factor will be he just offers more by being able to play outside and his speed.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wilson is a far better/more explosive receiver than Brown, we better not keep Brown just because of his "blocking ability".

As an aside, both Hurns and Wilson are very good out of the slot, that could spell trouble for Beasley in particular although if it were me I'd keep Beasley for this season to provide some measure of continuity for Dak. This is the last year of his contract so you can re-evaluate at the end of the year depending on his play.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilson is a far better/more explosive receiver than Brown, we better not keep Brown just because of his "blocking ability".

As an aside, both Hurns and Wilson are very good out of the slot, that could spell trouble for Beasley in particular although if it were me I'd keep Beasley for this season to provide some measure of continuity for Dak. This is the last year of his contract so you can re-evaluate at the end of the year depending on his play.
Yeah I see no reason to keep Brown. He is a plodder with good hands who can block. The league is littered with guys like that who never get enough seperation tp hang in the league.

Wilson is the far superior athlete. Additionally he was actually productive in college. I'd much rather work on developing someone like that. Brown can go on the practice squad if we have to keep him around.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah I see no reason to keep Brown. He is a plodder with good hands who can block. The league is littered with guys like that who never get enough seperation tp hang in the league.

Wilson is the far superior athlete. Additionally he was actually productive in college. I'd much rather work on developing someone like that. Brown can go on the practice squad if we have to keep him around.
He was 1st Team All-MWC right alongside Gallup, not that it means much on it's own but it is interesting to note.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was 1st Team All-MWC right alongside Gallup, not that it means much on it's own but it is interesting to note.
No but I've said it before. If you're drafting a late round receiver either give me a guy who was a great athlete or a guy who was highly productive. Brown was neither. With Wilson you have a pretty good athlete but also excellent production. To me a guy like that has a shot at actually becoming a good NFL player.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No but I've said it before. If you're drafting a late round receiver either give me a guy who was a great athlete or a guy who was highly productive. Brown was neither. With Wilson you have a pretty good athlete but also excellent production. To me a guy like that has a shot at actually becoming a good NFL player.
He was my favorite Day 3 pick so I agree, I think he can replace Williams by 2019.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I like Simp's grades of the draft. The lower round guys I don't know much about. But the one thing I'm super grateful for is Will McClay. We are so far from the days of "drafting backups because our roster is so good:, and it thrills me to death. The last 2 drafts in particular seem to be home runs for this group. Jerry needs to double that man's pay. Now if we could just get a coach that does his job as well as Will does!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It seems a tad optimistic.
Maybe, although there is almost nothing I would change about our 1st-3rd picks. I may have taken Anthony Miller in the 2nd but Williams would've been right there after him making it a very difficult decision.

Hurst was clearly off our board so I'm ignoring him.

Just because I gave a pick an A doesn't mean I think the guy is going to be a Pro Bowler or something. I doubt White is ever anything more than a very good backup, but he could potentially develop into a starter and I love that value at the end of the 5th. I doubt Scarbrough is ever anything more than a relief runner to Elliott but I think he could be impactful in that role and potentially start a few games if we needed him to, that's great value in the 7th.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Maybe, although there is almost nothing I would change about our 1st-3rd picks. I may have taken Anthony Miller in the 2nd but Williams would've been right there after him making it a very difficult decision.

Hurst was clearly off our board so I'm ignoring him.

Just because I gave a pick an A doesn't mean I think the guy is going to be a Pro Bowler or something. I doubt White is ever anything more than a very good backup, but he could potentially develop into a starter and I love that value at the end of the 5th. I doubt Scarbrough is ever anything more than a relief runner to Elliott but I think he could be impactful in that role and potentially start a few games if we needed him to, that's great value in the 7th.
I getcha, but you definitely pose the best case scenarios for each guy, pretty much. That said it could work out like that.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I getcha, but you definitely pose the best case scenarios for each guy, pretty much. That said it could work out like that.
I look at the way the board fell and go through different scenarios and I find we took the best 3 we could have. LVE projects to be a vastly better fit for our defense than anyone else in the draft save Roquan. Williams is a stellar pick up at 50. Home run pick. Gallup was my 5th favorite WR after Ridley, Moore, Sutton and Miller. Not bad in the middle of the 3rd and he's a lot more ready to play than Sutton.

The only thing I could potentially quibble is should we have traded down in the 1st and possibly picked up enough ammo to nab Travarious Moore. Would anyone have taken LVE we got back on the clock? Who knows? Such a risk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I look at the way the board fell and go through different scenarios and I find we took the best 3 we could have. LVE projects to be a vastly better fit for our defense than anyone else in the draft save Roquan. Williams is a stellar pick up at 50. Home run pick. Gallup was my 5th favorite WR after Ridley, Moore, Sutton and Miller. Not bad in the middle of the 3rd and he's a lot more ready to play than Sutton.

The only thing I could potentially quibble is should we have traded down in the 1st and possibly picked up enough ammo to nab Travarious Moore. Would anyone have taken LVE we got back on the clock? Who knows? Such a risk.
Yeah I like the picks we made. The only wild card would have been moving up or down. But there is no way of knowing what the cost of moving up would have been or if anyone was willing to give us picks to trade down. Would have loved Derwin James but he was gone by 19. When 19 came up LVE was probably my favorite guy left.

Plus if you look at LVE, Connor William's and Gallup we got excellent players, excellent value and addressed our biggest needs. Day three is just purely about finding talent in my opinion. I really like the guys we found. And White was a QB I really liked who impressed at the Senior Bowl. He was excellent in the game. We got a guy who I think is an excellent pass rusher. Armstrong is probably the sleeper of our class but I think he could be a pretty good DE.

Some of the picks I'm not as high on would be the Stanford TE. I just don't see his upside as a pass catcher. Love the Scarbrough and Cedric Wilson picks late. I think both guys could have big roles here.

Everyone hates the Covington pick but I'm ok with it. He has high upside and is raw. Pretty much what you expect in a late round pick.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah I like the picks we made. The only wild card would have been moving up or down. But there is no way of knowing what the cost of moving up would have been or if anyone was willing to give us picks to trade down. Would have loved Derwin James but he was gone by 19. When 19 came up LVE was probably my favorite guy left.

Plus if you look at LVE, Connor William's and Gallup we got excellent players, excellent value and addressed our biggest needs. Day three is just purely about finding talent in my opinion. I really like the guys we found. And White was a QB I really liked who impressed at the Senior Bowl. He was excellent in the game. We got a guy who I think is an excellent pass rusher. Armstrong is probably the sleeper of our class but I think he could be a pretty good DE.

Some of the picks I'm not as high on would be the Stanford TE. I just don't see his upside as a pass catcher. Love the Scarbrough and Cedric Wilson picks late. I think both guys could have big roles here.

Everyone hates the Covington pick but I'm ok with it. He has high upside and is raw. Pretty much what you expect in a late round pick.
Well I get the feeling we're rolling into next year's draft looking for a WR, a safety, a DT and TE again. We will be able to be players in free agency. If Thomas survives another year we could get him. Oh well, no team has a steak on every plate.

Top Bottom