Phillips - Jerry: Defense “A Must” In The Draft; Running Back? Not So Much

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For the record, we lost to Green bay because of a bad sequence of plays to end the half, a bad set of downs prior to the Dez catch, a bad call on the Dez catch, and Murray's fricking fumble.

A pass rush would have helped, but it's not why we lost. We had that game without it.
Had we had a pass rush that game isn't even close. Hell, Rodgers could barely even move in the pocket and we didn't touch him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He could hardly gimp down the open field much less any pocket. He should have been a sitting duck.

Cotton

Staff member
Nope.

Just saying do not get locked in on trying to fix something.
That same thing can be said for RB. You never get locked into one position ever. But, yet again, if I could choose I go pass rush before RB.

Jiggyfly

Banned
And who was arguing that we should reach out of desperate need? My original statement was if I could choose either RB or pass rush I would choose pass rush. How in hell you morphed that into me saying we should reach desperately is beyond me.
Correct. A good pass rush is much harder to find, and we should be using most of our resources there. Now, keep in mind this is if I was forced to choose between them. If I had my druthers I would be trying to improve in both areas in the draft, if possible.
Your words not mine it sure seems like you are saying to carpet bomb the position which would entail reaching in some spots.:shrug

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, but you are acting like I said we should spend half our draft on it.
It seems you did.

Correct. A good pass rush is much harder to find, and we should be using most of our resources there. Now, keep in mind this is if I was forced to choose between them. If I had my druthers I would be trying to improve in both areas in the draft, if possible.

Cotton

Staff member
Your words not mine it sure seems like you are saying to carpet bomb the position which would entail reaching in some spots.:shrug
It seems you did.
God damn, man. I'm not saying we should mortgage our draft to find pass rush. But, if it means we are going to mortgage our draft on pass rush or RB I would rather it be pass rush instead of RB. Which is exactly what my initial post implied. You just like to move the goal posts to change an argument just so you can argue. Either argue what I was talking about or STFU.

Jiggyfly

Banned
God damn, man. I'm not saying we should mortgage our draft to find pass rush. But, if it means we are going to mortgage our draft on pass rush or RB I would rather it be pass rush instead of RB. Which is exactly what my initial post implied. You just like to move the goal posts to change an argument just so you can argue. Either argue what I was talking about or STFU.
How can I move the goalpost when I am using your exact words?

Cotton

Staff member
How can I move the goalpost when I am using your exact words?
You are using words from a reply post that was stating an extension of the initial statement. I said "If I had to choose between RB and pass rush, I choose pass rush" and then extended that in a reply post with "I would use the most resources on pass rush." So, yeah, again, I would use the most resources on pass rush versus RB given the choice. Do you even know what a strawman argument is?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why do you keep acting like we gave any of these guys major money and the team is invested in keeping them?

All of these guys can be cut tomorrow with minimal cap hit, the fact that none of these guys have major signing bonuses makes it clear they are all exspendable.
So. Why bother to sign them to the team? It's not like they have just been brought in as camp fodder. If Dallas plans to go after a top flight RB then all thse moves are pointless.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
You are using words from a reply post that was stating an extension of the initial statement. I said "If I had to choose between RB and pass rush, I choose pass rush" and then extended that in a reply post with "I would use the most resources on pass rush." So, yeah, again, I would use the most resources on pass rush versus RB given the choice. Do you even know what a strawman argument is?
The original post was never a question of how much resources to be used it was about a 1st round pick, you injected the amount of resources into the argument.

And that is what I responded too, where in any of this were you asked to make that choice?

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
So. Why bother to sign them to the team? It's not like they havejus.t been brought in as camp fodder. If Dallas plans to go after a top flight RB then all thse moves are pointless.
Really L.T.?

Why are 90 guys taken to camp every year when you know only 53 can make the team that's pointless according to your logic, right?

Williams was signed last year was that pointless as well.

I mean what has happened exactly to make you think the FO office has lost all reason and think the guys they never used last year are ready to be used this year?

Man you got some serious Murray withdrawls.

Cotton

Staff member
The original post was never a question of how much resources to be used it was about a 1st round pick, you injected the amount of resources into the argument.

And that is what I responded too, where in any of this were asked to make that choice?
Iamright said:
If I was forced to choose between taking a RB and ignoring the defense or taking defense and ignoring the RB, I would have to choose taking defense. It would suck but we need help on our pass rush more than we need a RB.
Pretty sure that is saying I would rather allocate more resources to pass rush than RB. I'm not real sure, though, so ask the Scarecrow and get back to me.

And, not once has the 1st round pick come up in this discussion, strawman, so try again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe CRock said we can always pick up a good veteran free agent running back. My point is, if you are relying on another vet FA, you're getting a scrub because that's all that's left. Hell, my guess is McFadden is a scrub at this point.
I said we could pick one up if we are desperate after the draft. That's a little different then thinking any trash can be our feature back.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe, given where we pick in each round, the available RBs will be better than the available pass rushers in the top couple rounds. In other words, you likely get a better, more impactful player by taking a running back rather than a pass rusher.

Unless Ray falls to us, in which case we should take him.
Ray, Gregory or Depree beats every RB in this draft in my opinion.

Cotton

Staff member
How else do you allocate resources to the pass rush if you are not going in thinking you have to draft several pass rushers?

Nothing I said was strawman did you not say we need to concentrate on pass rush?
:lol

I went back through the thread and re-read this. Talk about the epitome of strawman. Good god.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Really L.T.?

Why are 90 guys taken to camp every year when you know only 53 can make the team that's pointless according to your logic, right?

Williams was signed last year was that pointless as well.

I mean what has happened exactly to make you think the FO office has lost all reason and think the guys they never used last year are ready to be used this year?

Man you got some serious Murray withdrawls.
You have gotten off track. All these moves were done after Murray left so he isnt even part of the thought process. I am just thinking out loud as to what i think about the subsequent moves could mean and you suddenly become the defender of the front office as if no one is allowed to formulate an idea. Just quit being the hall monitor for peoples opinions.

Top Bottom