Phillips - Jerry: Defense “A Must” In The Draft; Running Back? Not So Much

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry: Defense “A Must” In The Draft; Running Back? Not So Much

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:00 PM CDT

By Rob Phillips

@robphillips3

IRVING, Texas – How much do the Cowboys need impact defensive help from this weekend’s NFL Draft?

“By hook or crook,” team owner/GM Jerry Jones said Tuesday.

How much do they need another running back to offset DeMarco Murray’s free-agent defection to Philadelphia?

“It’s not urgent,” Jones said.

Two very different reactions to, by general consensus, the two biggest need areas on the roster.

The Cowboys specifically need help at defensive line – tackle or end – in the wake of Greg Hardy’s 10-game suspension and their overall pass rush inconsistency last season. At cornerback, there are questions regarding Orlando Scandrick’s contract status, Brandon Carr’s contract status and Mo Claiborne’s return date from knee surgery.

But at running back, Jones said the team has covered its bases by adding veteran Darren McFadden to a group that already includes Joseph Randle, Ryan Williams and Lance Dunbar.

“We don't have that as a must to come out of here (on draft weekend) with a running back,” Jones said.

Is it a consideration, at least?

“Certainly,” Jones said. “But my feeling is we can play with what we got right now.”

Although Jones has previously indicated that the Cowboys would conduct allotted pre-draft visits with the top running back prospects in this year’s class, the signing of McFadden – the 2008 fourth overall pick who has amassed more than 4,200 yards in seven seasons – helps the front office avoid reaching for a rusher.

The Cowboys likely won’t attempt to duplicate Murray’s franchise-record 1,845-yard production with just one back. But with three Pro Bowlers on the offensive line, a solid ground attack will remain a primary piece of the offense.

“DeMarco Murray did a great job for us last year. The business of the NFL comes into play and he’s not here anymore. That doesn’t mean we’re not going to be a running football team,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “We have guys in our locker room right now that we believe in. If there’s a running back who we think can help our football team, we’ll certainly address it with a draft pick. But we want to run the football. It starts up front. It’s a philosophy.”
------------------

Surely they are not stupid enough to entrust the run game to McFadden and the other idiots.

Right?

Right?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry: Defense “A Must” In The Draft; Running Back? Not So Much

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:00 PM CDT

By Rob Phillips

@robphillips3

IRVING, Texas – How much do the Cowboys need impact defensive help from this weekend’s NFL Draft?

“By hook or crook,” team owner/GM Jerry Jones said Tuesday.

How much do they need another running back to offset DeMarco Murray’s free-agent defection to Philadelphia?

“It’s not urgent,” Jones said.

Two very different reactions to, by general consensus, the two biggest need areas on the roster.

The Cowboys specifically need help at defensive line – tackle or end – in the wake of Greg Hardy’s 10-game suspension and their overall pass rush inconsistency last season. At cornerback, there are questions regarding Orlando Scandrick’s contract status, Brandon Carr’s contract status and Mo Claiborne’s return date from knee surgery.

But at running back, Jones said the team has covered its bases by adding veteran Darren McFadden to a group that already includes Joseph Randle, Ryan Williams and Lance Dunbar.

“We don't have that as a must to come out of here (on draft weekend) with a running back,” Jones said.

Is it a consideration, at least?

“Certainly,” Jones said. “But my feeling is we can play with what we got right now.”

Although Jones has previously indicated that the Cowboys would conduct allotted pre-draft visits with the top running back prospects in this year’s class, the signing of McFadden – the 2008 fourth overall pick who has amassed more than 4,200 yards in seven seasons – helps the front office avoid reaching for a rusher.

The Cowboys likely won’t attempt to duplicate Murray’s franchise-record 1,845-yard production with just one back. But with three Pro Bowlers on the offensive line, a solid ground attack will remain a primary piece of the offense.

“DeMarco Murray did a great job for us last year. The business of the NFL comes into play and he’s not here anymore. That doesn’t mean we’re not going to be a running football team,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “We have guys in our locker room right now that we believe in. If there’s a running back who we think can help our football team, we’ll certainly address it with a draft pick. But we want to run the football. It starts up front. It’s a philosophy.”
------------------

Surely they are not stupid enough to entrust the run game to McFadden and the other idiots.

Right?

Right?
I sure hope not. I have minimal faith in McFadden doing anything. Hell I have more hope for Williams and Randle.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think we brought in like 6+ RBs for a visit if we didn't view the position as a huge need.
Right. Did we expect Jerry to fall all over himself stating we need a RB badly and will be targeting one? Saying we need defense isn't saying much. It certainly isn't pinpointing a position, like saying we need a RB. Besides, it's not like other teams don't know what our needs are.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right. Did we expect Jerry to fall all over himself stating we need a RB badly and will be targeting one? Saying we need defense isn't saying much. It certainly isn't pinpointing a position, like saying we need a RB. Besides, it's not like other teams don't know what our needs are.
No kidding. Everyone knows our team needs defense badly. It would have been a little different if they asked Jerry if he needs a DE. I promise you Jerry would say his bases are covered at DE.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Liar time. You don't want to telegraph interest if Gordon or especially Gurley falls.

Of course Dallas needs a RB from this draft. Fortunately they should have good opportunities in the 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd rounds. After that we're talking Buck Allen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Liar time. You don't want to telegraph interest if Gordon or especially Gurley falls.

Of course Dallas needs a RB from this draft. Fortunately they should have good opportunities in the 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd rounds. After that we're talking Buck Allen.
It would be one thing if either guy had a chance of slipping to our spot.

I honestly think he's not BSing.

Are they going to deliberately ignore it? No, I am sure if they get a shot at a guy outside of the first, they will go that route.

But I don't think they will be "concerned" if they end up without a back. Honestly, when they decided to let Murray go, it made choosing a RB in the first three rounds a virtual necessity. But I think they are stupid enough to think McFadden is adequate insurance.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It would be one thing if either guy had a chance of slipping to our spot.

I honestly think he's not BSing.

Are they going to deliberately ignore it? No, I am sure if they get a shot at a guy outside of the first, they will go that route.

But I don't think they will be "concerned" if they end up without a back. Honestly, when they decided to let Murray go, it made choosing a RB in the first three rounds a virtual necessity. But I think they are stupid enough to think McFadden is adequate insurance.
I think I said some time ago that it appeared to me when the organization picked up MCFadden, they may go with what they had. That was the only thing that made sense to me. I don't agree with it but it didn't add up to get a program together with Petersen or rely on a rookie after taking on McFadden.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Right. Did we expect Jerry to fall all over himself stating we need a RB badly and will be targeting one?
Actually, yes. I'm surprised he didn't start naming names. After 25 years he may be learning.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If I was forced to choose between taking a RB and ignoring the defense or taking defense and ignoring the RB, I would have to choose taking defense. It would suck but we need help on our pass rush more than we need a RB.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If I was forced to choose between taking a RB and ignoring the defense or taking defense and ignoring the RB, I would have to choose taking defense. It would suck but we need help on our pass rush more than we need a RB.
I take the RB, and that's because I think Hardy's suspension gets reduced to 6 games and I think Lawrence, Crawford, and Hardy have a chance to be pretty good.

If it's Gordon/Gurley there, there's no way I pass that up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
RB is a must.
I'd really like a RB but I don't think it's a must. People make it sound like our guys will walk onto the field and shit all over themselves if they have to play. Hell the Patriots best runningback last year was a guy picked up off the scrap heap. We aren't going to have anyone produce like Murray next year, but I think we will have good production regardless of adding a RB in the draft or not. Now I think someone like Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi or Abdullah would certainly make our offense significantly better but we will be good regardless.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I totally agree. There are always good veteran RBs available if we need an extra guy.

p1_

DCC 4Life

This. I feel certain this is thinly veiled. Jones doesn't have much poker face about him.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Pass rush >>>>>>>> RB

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
This is unrelated to the topic, but it's not important enough to create a separate thread ..

I just finished watching this whole press conference and it made me feel pretty secure with the Dez situation..

I knew Jerry coddled Dez and had people in place to make sure he did the right thing, but I had no idea that Jerry himself was actually a co-signer on Dez's bank account for a number of years after they drafted him..

I believe that the personal bond Dez feels with this organization will override a lot of the contract drama that is happening right now.

That personal bond has created a deep trust between Dez and the organization (especially with Jerry). He will be signed and I think things will go smoothly.

Top Bottom