Pending Cowboys Free Agents

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Lewis was playing damn good football before he tore his achilles and then came back and was one of our best defenders down the stretch this year.

He's a great nickel option with a nose for turnovers.
Jourdan Lewis?

None of this was ever true. He's a marginal player who gets beat often and is overpaid.

Genghis Khan

Yeah I keep wanting him to be great. But part of me wonders what the hell is wrong with our run game up the middle. Tyler Smith was great at LG. Zach Martin is at RG. So my automatic assumption is we aren't getting enough at center. But it's probably more of a scheme issue than anything.

With that being said, if Biadasz doesn't come back I'm not freaking out. But I'd also be ok if he came back on a reasonable deal. I'm sort of high on Barton though as a replacement. He is probably a high second round type draft pick. I think he could be a really good center here though.

I agree that Biadasz isn't great and maybe isn't even good. The problem is it's a really important position and there's probably no replacement on the roster. If we go high in the draft that means we can't address another area that is maybe more pressing.

If Biadasz gets a big money offer elsewhere though I absolutely let him walk and we'll just have to figure it out.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jourdan Lewis?

None of this was ever true. He's a marginal player who gets beat often and is overpaid.
I think you're underselling him a bit.

He can't play outside but he's solid inside and he's played quite well for us the last 2 seasons.

He's not a starter but he shouldn't have to be here either.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I keep wanting him to be great. But part of me wonders what the hell is wrong with our run game up the middle.
Biadasz is absolutely a big part of the problem.

We are expecting him to be Travis Frederick. He's very, very less than that.

He's ok. He's a hit as a fourth round pick. But he's just a very average starter.

You can't have steak everywhere, but for him to be functionally a positive presence he needs to be the worst player on the line. He can't carry the rest of them.

And with too many other OLs having down years, Biadasz couldn't elevate his game to pick up the slack.

If a center you love does fall into your lap, I have no qualms about replacing him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think with Biadasz for me it's a case of how many unknowns do you want to go into the season with. We know what he will give us. I think he is good but not great. Maybe he wears down as the season goes. I know that I've commented on that in the past.
This is it for me, he's a solid starter, not elite, and if he's willing to take a McGovern-like deal I'd be happy to bring him back.

If he starts pushing for 10-12/year he can fuck off.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

He's ok. He's a hit as a fourth round pick. But he's just a very average starter.

You can't have steak everywhere, but for him to be functionally a positive presence he needs to be the worst player on the line. He can't carry the rest of them.

And with too many other OLs having down years, Biadasz couldn't elevate his game to pick up the slack.

If a center you love does fall into your lap, I have no qualms about replacing him.
Even if it's Barton?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you're underselling him a bit.

He can't play outside but he's solid inside and he's played quite well for us the last 2 seasons.

He's not a starter but he shouldn't have to be here either.
It's really a question of do you want to pay him to be the fourth corner or if it's time to let a dude like Eric Scott have a shot at being your fourth corner and get his feet wet. Not that Lewis would be expensive. But he is another one of these vets that have been around a long time and you just have to decide if he is worth it or if it's time to let some young guys have a shot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is he is a free agent. So you can't wait to see if a guy falls in your lap. You either resign him or you don't. If you don't, there aren't any viable options on the roster to step up. (Unlike Bass for example who I think is a viable option at guard).

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's really a question of do you want to pay him to be the fourth corner or if it's time to let a dude like Eric Scott have a shot at being your fourth corner and get his feet wet. Not that Lewis would be expensive. But he is another one of these vets that have been around a long time and you just have to decide if he is worth it or if it's time to let some young guys have a shot.
I won't lose any sleep if he walks.

I'd just prefer to keep him if he's cheap because I'm a big fan of defenders who create turnovers and he's one of those guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if it's Barton?
I don't want to put a lot of hype on a rookie but I have complete faith that he can step in an be a good player. It's not like Mazi where there is some risk and development. I think Barton is a guy who you can draft, plug and play and move on for the next 4 to 5 years. I think of him more as a high second rounder because of his position but maybe it's a Frederick situation where you say who gives a shit. I want to fix things and not worry later.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'd just prefer to keep him if he's cheap because I'm a big fan of defenders who create turnovers and he's one of those guys.
Yeah and in an ideal world he isn't playing a lot anyway. You're hoping he is the fourth corner, who doesn't get many snaps. But when an injury happens to Bland, Diggs or (hopefully Gilmore) you have an option.

Genghis Khan

Tony Pollard - See ya. Overrated and overpaid (even if he gets like 5 a year). We need to overhaul our RBs and although I think he can be effective in a limited role, you can find guys like that much cheaper and / or in the middle and late rounds of the draft.

Stephon Gilmore - Bring him back unless he gets a big deal in free agency. Still a good player.

Dorance Armstrong - I think his sack numbers will fool someone and he'll get a pretty big offer. I think he's a useful player so if he does come cheap id resign him, but if someone throws money at him I'd be more than happy to let him walk. I think we need another legit pass rusher even if he returns. But for the money I suspect he'll get I'd rather have a comp pick.

Tyron Smith - Bring back. This season went exactly as we hoped - he missed his customary few games but was available late and into the playoffs. He's still among the best in the league and at that position it's worth keeping. The plan needs to be that Tyler shifts to LT when Tyron is out though.

Tyler Biadasz - I'm iffy on this one because I think he'll be overpaid but I'm fearful of finding a replacement. Maybe Hoffman can be that guy. But like Armstrong I'd take a comp pick rather than break the bank for him.

Jayron Kearse - I'm out on him. Mediocre season and we have plenty of safeties.

Jourdan Lewis - See ya. Easily replaced and should be the 4th corner anyway.

Dante Fowler - For the minimum I'd bring him back. Can't have too many pass rushers.

Noah Igbinoghene - For camp body type money, sure. Otherwise don't care.

Neville Gallimore - Depending on the money. Not a good player but we need depth at the position.

Johnathan Hankins - MUST have back.

C.J. Goodwin - Another overrated and overpaid player. See ya.

Chuma Edoga - I thought he was useful for what he is. I'd bring him back assuming it's for the minimum. Have him compete with Asim.

Trent Sieg - Absolutely bring back.

Rico Dowdle - For the minimum and as a safety net in case of injuries and whatnot sure bring him back.

Sean McKeon - I like the player but we have too many TEs as it is, including the IR stash from camp whose name is escaping me. See ya.

Genghis Khan

Right. I'd rather train Mukuamu to be the 4th corner and save the million or two Lewis would get. That money adds up.

Genghis Khan

No he's not. He's nothing special in that regard. He has 9 INTs and 4 forced fumbles (in fact only 1 prior to this season) in 7 years. So in other words he averages less than 2 turnovers forced a year.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

I seriously wonder if Bass could do it. McCarthy said a few weeks ago that Bass has been training at center for a while now, which I hadn't heard.

I think they know what you said is true, and they obviously like Bass. I'm not one to put a lot of faith in undrafted players, but Bass might be the exception.

Top Bottom