Pending Cowboys Free Agents

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't feel it is time yet to start a general free agency thread where we all wish what we all know we will never do.

But we can talk about the pending Cowboy free agents.

These are not really tough decisions for the most part:

• Tony Pollard - I would let him go unless he comes cheaper, which is possible.
  • Stephon Gilmore - He is a tough one. I thought he did a credible job for the most part and he still commands veteran respect.
  • Dorance Armstrong - Fuck him.
  • Tyron Smith - They honestly need to just cut the cord. You cannot play with that kind of uncertainty from week to week.
  • Tyler Biadasz - As the season wore on, he got less effective. Good luck unless he fits into whatever cap compartment that Goof Son has set up.
  • Jayron Kearse - He is washed. The decision to play him at FS in the playoff game was an incredibly bad decision by Quinn.
  • Jourdan Lewis - I like his spirit and the guy made plays. He is like the defensive version of what we think Gallup is.
  • Dante Fowler - He made some plays but also disappeared. Don't really care.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - He can go. He did jack and shit after the TD in the opener.
  • Neville Gallimore - No good football player has ever had the first name Neville. We should have never wasted this much time with him.
  • Johnathan Hankins - He is a good veteran, but the dude is not a monster anymore. He's the best we got, which ain't saying much.
  • C.J. Goodwin - Just make him a fucking coffee fetcher for Fassel already.
  • Chuma Edoga - Get lost, Chuma.
  • Trent Sieg - Didn't make mistakes, bring him back.
  • Rico Dowdle - This is a joke, right?
  • Sean McKeon - He could probably go elsewhere for more than we would be willing to bother offering.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't feel it is time yet to start a general free agency thread where we all wish what we all know we will never do.

• Stephon Gilmore - He is a tough one. I thought he did a credible job for the most part and he still commands veteran respect.
  • Tyron Smith - They honestly need to just cut the cord. You cannot play with that kind of uncertainty from week to week.
  • Tyler Biadasz - As the season wore on, he got less effective. Good luck unless he fits into whatever cap compartment that Goof Son has set up.
  • Jayron Kearse - He is washed. The decision to play him at FS in the playoff game was an incredibly bad decision by Quinn.
  • Jourdan Lewis - I like his spirit and the guy made plays. He is like the defensive version of what we think Gallup is.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - He can go. He did jack and shit after the TD in the opener.
  • Neville Gallimore - No good football player has ever had the first name Neville. We should have never wasted this much time with him.
  • Johnathan Hankins - He is a good veteran, but the dude is not a monster anymore. He's the best we got, which ain't saying much.
  • Sean McKeon - He could probably go elsewhere for more than we would be willing to bother offering.
Looking at that list I let most of them walk. Most of them I don't care one way or the other if they leave. Sure some guys like Biadasz I'd bring back at the right price. Same with Armstrong. Same with Lewis.

Honestly I resign Gilmore if the price is reasonable. I then use these openings to bring in young and hungry players. None will make me feel bad if they leave.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
We need size on defense. Good teams are able to go big on offense and if you can't match up on D, they run it down your fucking throat old school. Look at all our losses.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

I'd let every single one of them walk. Fuck all of them.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
  • Tony Pollard - Depending on the market for me as well. They are definitely going to have to buy a RB because they need 2
  • Stephon Gilmore - I think you have to keep just based on the fact that we all know Diggs wont be 100%
  • Dorance Armstrong - dont know that he will command a lot of money if not then might as well.
  • Tyron Smith - Hopefully he retires on his own but if not then I think we have to keep. Too many questions behind him.
  • Tyler Biadasz - I would like to keep but I dont know that we can afford
  • Jayron Kearse - Bye
  • Jourdan Lewis - Seems to make plays at times. Would want back
  • Dante Fowler - I guess if he plays for way cheap like he has been
  • Noah Igbinoghene - Bye
  • Neville Gallimore - Bye.
  • Johnathan Hankins - I would want him back but I think he retires
  • C.J. Goodwin -Bye
  • Chuma Edoga - Bye.
  • Trent Sieg - who?
  • Rico Dowdle - I could keep or let go.
  • Sean McKeon - Bye

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Assuming we won't do dick in FA as per usual I'd resign the LS, one of Gilmore/Lewis, one of Armstrong/Biadasz, Tyron if he'll take an incentive-laden deal like this past season, and Pollard if he'll take like 3/15. If Quinn comes back I'd consider Hankins/Fowler on minimal 1 year deals as they've been getting.

The rest can fuck off.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd like to have Tyron Smith back at the right price but we'll see.

I do think we can be scrappy effective with Asim Richards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to have Tyron Smith back at the right price but we'll see.

I do think we can be scrappy effective with Asim Richards.
I just want to move Tyler out to LT and Bass in at guard. Asim can be my swing tackle.

I think about moving on from a number of older guys. You're not going to change the culture by keeping them all around. I like Lawrence for example but I'm probably just moving on. The cap savings is small but I'm not paying him another 20 mil next year to make some plays against the run. It's time to start moving over to the young guys. If they fall flat, so be it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I just want to move Tyler out to LT and Bass in at guard. Asim can be my swing tackle.

I think about moving on from a number of older guys. You're not going to change the culture by keeping them all around. I like Lawrence for example but I'm probably just moving on. The cap savings is small but I'm not paying him another 20 mil next year to make some plays against the run. It's time to start moving over to the young guys. If they fall flat, so be it.
Agree.

DeMarcus Lawrence was a very good player but one we should have traded if the Frank Clark return was ever available (it was, back in the day, but we are lazy, Lawrence was more highly regarded than Clark ever was), which was a first and third.

He cost too much money for never putting up double digit sacks.

And now, opposite basically the league's most disruptive player, he can't put up more than 4?

That's a flashing alarm.

We could have 2-3 players for what we are paying him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Only ones I'd be interested in keeping are Pollard, Gillmore, Biadasz, and Lewis.

Lewis was playing damn good football before he tore his achilles and then came back and was one of our best defenders down the stretch this year.

He's a great nickel option with a nose for turnovers.

Gillmore is a pro's pro who can play man or zone (last game not withstanding).

Pollard for cheap and only as a 2nd back.

Biadasz if the cost is reasonable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Biadasz if the cost is reasonable.
Yeah I keep wanting him to be great. But part of me wonders what the hell is wrong with our run game up the middle. Tyler Smith was great at LG. Zach Martin is at RG. So my automatic assumption is we aren't getting enough at center. But it's probably more of a scheme issue than anything.

With that being said, if Biadasz doesn't come back I'm not freaking out. But I'd also be ok if he came back on a reasonable deal. I'm sort of high on Barton though as a replacement. He is probably a high second round type draft pick. I think he could be a really good center here though.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah I keep wanting him to be great. But part of me wonders what the hell is wrong with our run game up the middle. Tyler Smith was great at LG. Zach Martin is at RG. So my automatic assumption is we aren't getting enough at center. But it's probably more of a scheme issue than anything.

With that being said, if Biadasz doesn't come back I'm not freaking out. But I'd also be ok if he came back on a reasonable deal. I'm sort of high on Barton though as a replacement. He is probably a high second round type draft pick. I think he could be a really good center here though.
I think with Biadasz for me it's a case of how many unknowns do you want to go into the season with. We know what he will give us. I think he is good but not great. Maybe he wears down as the season goes. I know that I've commented on that in the past.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think with Biadasz for me it's a case of how many unknowns do you want to go into the season with. We know what he will give us. I think he is good but not great. Maybe he wears down as the season goes. I know that I've commented on that in the past.
I'm all about the unknown right now. Maybe it's an overreaction to the shitty end of the season. But what we know leads to this. Of course the problem is we don't really have an option behind Biadasz. So letting him walk makes one of those holes that you just have to fill.

Top Bottom