NFL General Managers took Jerry Jones to school during draft

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In hindsight I'm glad we did it because we got our RB instead of taking Eric Scott at 35. Had we waited for the 7th we'd have lost all the remaining RB's who could make any impact in 2023, flawed or not. But we burned a 5th to do that, and that is serious capital in today's game.
If all goes well we traded a late fifth for the first pick in the sixth. Nothing wrong with that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
"You let Buffalo jump you for Kincaid!!"

Who says we were targeting Kincaid?
We weren't, I think that is pretty obvious. You saw no reaction from our team when Kincaid was picked because they were never taking Kincaid in the first. Agree or disagree I think LaPorta was our top TE and we didn't like him enough to take in the first.

The Bills just fell for all the pre-draft hype that we were taking a TE in the first.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep, dumb articles like that are why I'm rooting for Schoonmun to kick ass. I had/have my doubts about him like everyone else, but for these internet gurus to act like they know for a fact the guy will be a bum and the pick was a huge mistake is just stupid.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Eh, I think the article goes too far, but I think it has some merit.

No, it's not true that Jerry has no input in things just because he doesn't know who our 6th or 7th round picks are.

He and his goofball son absolutely set the tone in terms organizational philosophy and they absolutely continue to "break ties," in the war room, which means, when they really want to go a certain way, that's the way the team goes.

No doubt Will McClay probably has as much power as anyone else has had in terms of personnel in Dallas since Jimmy left, with the possible (probable) exception of Bill Parcells, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be loads better if McClay was the GM full stop.

Jerry also has this noted aversion to wheeling and dealing and maneuvering around, he sits back and plays it safe. McClay simply isn't in charge of that. Could McClay do better given free reign to be more creative with targeting trades that he wants? We don't know and will never know, most likely.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"You let Buffalo jump you for Kincaid!!"

Who says we were targeting Kincaid?
If anything, we did everything we could to put out smokescreens.

Yeah, we telegraphed we wanted a TE. But the way it rolled it was Kincaid up the ass in the mock drafts, then the Musgrave hysteria and that really got me.

I guess the Bills want to appear clever by nabbing "our guy" but only an idiot would think that. There wasn't any sense of worry or disgust in that War Room leading up to our choice.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
only because they were projecting him at 26. you could've lived with him in the second round. I think.
He is a little more fluid than Schooerpooner.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That and his name is kind of a bitch to remember how to spell correctly. Shit, he is pretty much only one rung above a player with a hyphen name.
Just call him shoe.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
or African sounding name :tippytoe
Those are actually easier sometimes. They usually have root words and commonalities.

Try a product name with a hyphen like Kool-Aid, then a Mac-something with another hyphen. Bad things, man.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You know those Germans, they don't like spaces or hyphens. They just cram everything together into one sixteen-letter word.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I literally had no idea who he was when Drew the spaz announced the pick.

Top Bottom