Must See Movies

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Horns with Daniel Radcliffe was weird but pretty damn good.

junk

Not So New Member
Horns with Daniel Radcliffe was weird but pretty damn good.
Book was good. Written by Stephen King's kid.

Gone Girl was pretty good. I hadn't actually been to the movie theatre in awhile though. Movie was supposed to start at 12:55. It was like 1:25 before it actually started once they got through all the previews, ads, turn off your cell phone BS.

Movie theatre is quickly becoming like going to a live sporting event. Why bother? Just watch it at home in HD and avoid all the nonsense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Gone Girl was pretty good. I hadn't actually been to the movie theatre in awhile though. Movie was supposed to start at 12:55. It was like 1:25 before it actually started once they got through all the previews, ads, turn off your cell phone BS.

Movie theatre is quickly becoming like going to a live sporting event. Why bother? Just watch it at home in HD and avoid all the nonsense.
That's actually what I did. Ordered it at home for eight bucks.

Kbrown

Not So New Member

I don't go to the theaters any more unless it's a movie I've really been anticipating. The last two were Ghostbusters 30th anniversary and The Guest. Ghostbusters went okay because it was a Sunday afternoon and it was me and three old people. But even at The Guest, which is not exactly a big box office draw, three 12 year-olds sneak in and start giggling at each other, then when I shush them, they start shushing each other to mock me, and won't get quiet until I'm actually forced to yell "shutup" at them.

So, 30 bucks easy for two people to buy tickets and food, then some asshole or immature kids inevitably ruin it for everyone. I don't get the appeal of them anymore.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't go to the theaters any more unless it's a movie I've really been anticipating. The last two were Ghostbusters 30th anniversary and The Guest. Ghostbusters went okay because it was a Sunday afternoon and it was me and three old people. But even at The Guest, which is not exactly a big box office draw, three 12 year-olds sneak in and start giggling at each other, then when I shush them, they start shushing each other to mock me, and won't get quiet until I'm actually forced to yell "shutup" at them.

So, 30 bucks easy for two people to buy tickets and food, then some asshole or immature kids inevitably ruin it for everyone. I don't get the appeal of them anymore.
I agree. Babies are the worst and why they are being brought to violent (more for the effects that scare them into crying then the content) movies is beyond me. I just dont really go anymore at all. I think Captain America 2 was the last one I went to and before that was the Hobbit movie.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I will go see Dumb and Dumber To in the theater.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When it comes to theatre attendance, I think I have the best deal. We go during weekday morning hours and have the choice of about any seat in the house. There is rarely more than 10 people in the entire movie.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I had stopped going until a theater by my house recently upgraded with a "Cinema Suites" section that is 21&up only. They did it nice too by reducing seating by around 35-40% which gave them room to put in power recliners with plenty of legroom.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I had stopped going until a theater by my house recently upgraded with a "Cinema Suites" section that is 21&up only. They did it nice too by reducing seating by around 35-40% which gave them room to put in power recliners with plenty of legroom.
There is one of those dine-in theaters near me I will probably try next time. Its Google reviews feature several people conplaining about their strict age limit (no children under 3, no children under 5 in above PG), which is a good sign that they give a damn. I wish there was an Alamo in this part of the Houston area. They get it as well.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
There is one of those dine-in theaters near me I will probably try next time. Its Google reviews feature several people conplaining about their strict age limit (no children under 3, no children under 5 in above PG), which is a good sign that they give a damn. I wish there was an Alamo in this part of the Houston area. They get it as well.

:lol even money says she drives a prius

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I love the Alamo Drafthouse. They do not fuck around. :towel

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I love the Alamo Drafthouse. They do not fuck around. :towel
Sounds like she didn't need any more "drafts" at the Drafthouse anyway. I haven't been that angry and drunk since an argument with Schmitty following the 2011 season.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I have a few that I missed that I will not be able to catch up on until they are on DVD...Birdman, Tusk, The Equalizer, Fury, John Wick...I know I won't see them because I will be seeing Dumb and Dumber and Interstellar.
I felt like a movie last night and went to see Birdman. It was really good. Because of the nature of the story/setting it relies solely upon the script and the performances. Keaton was excellent, Norton was great, Galifianakis was really good in a departure from his normal goofy roles (though there was goofiness to his character, it was more understated). And Emma Stone…OMFG. I've seen plenty of pictures of her and bits and pieces of her on TV, etc., so I knew she was obviously very attractive, but this was the first movie I have ever watched where she had a major role. So incredibly beautiful.

Anyway, well worth checking out as a rental if you don't make it to the theater to see it. Keeps the audience engaged for sure. Plenty of lighthearted/funny moments to ease the weight/intensity of the story.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Good to know...definitely want to check it out. It was not playing here locally.

D

Deuce

Ya, I heard enough about Birdman to know I wanted to see it eventually.

Caught Interstellar last night. Long as hell and almost like watching 2 different movies.

The first 2 hours were interesting for the scientific aspects and what needed to happen but the last 30-40 minutes were weird as shit. There was a point to it, obviously and a good ending. But it almost lost me for a bit.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
I felt like a movie last night and went to see Birdman. It was really good. Because of the nature of the story/setting it relies solely upon the script and the performances. Keaton was excellent, Norton was great, Galifianakis was really good in a departure from his normal goofy roles (though there was goofiness to his character, it was more understated). And Emma Stone…OMFG. I've seen plenty of pictures of her and bits and pieces of her on TV, etc., so I knew she was obviously very attractive, but this was the first movie I have ever watched where she had a major role. So incredibly beautiful.

Anyway, well worth checking out as a rental if you don't make it to the theater to see it. Keeps the audience engaged for sure. Plenty of lighthearted/funny moments to ease the weight/intensity of the story.

I've heard this is outstanding. I've always liked Keaton as an actor, good to see him delivering a great performance again. I'll be checking this out soon, hopefully this week.

Top Bottom