Must See Movies

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I remember going to the original in the theatre, and it was just meh.

The special effects were cool but it is like they ripped the plot from some old Western we all forgot about.
They almost literally reskinned Pocahontas in blue aliens. The visuals were supposed to be OMG amazing…. I thought it was nice but nothing to go crazy about.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The new Avatar movie is out, right?

Why do I hear zero about it?
I saw on the news that they would have to make something ungodly like $300 million at the box office just to break even.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
eh…maybe not

The Truth Behind Midnight Cowboy's Famous 'I'm Walkin' Here' Scene
2 days ago
In the latest Movie Legends Revealed, find out whether the famous 'I'm Walkin' Here' scene in Midnight Cowboy was actually improvised or not.

MOVIE URBAN LEGEND: Dustin Hoffman improvised the famous "I'm walkin' here" scene in Midnight Cowboy.

The 1969 film Midnight Cowboy was a watershed moment in American cinematic history, being the first (and only) X-rated film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. The success of the film, about a naive male prostitute from Texas (the titular "Midnight Cowboy," played by Jon Voight) and a hustler he met in New York City (Dustin Hoffman), helped to change the way Hollywood treats topics that would normally be seen as too noncommercial to be made into studio films. (Midnight Cowboy made more than $40 million on a budget of roughly $3 million.)

One of film's most famous scenes depicts Voight and Hoffman walking down the street when Hoffman is nearly hit by a cab. He hits the vehicle and shouts, "Hey! I'm walkin' here!"

The Origin of Midnight Cowboy's 'I'm Walkin' Here' Moment

Famously, the scene has been described by Hoffman many times over the years as being improvised. He told the National Post:

“It was a low-budget movie. Nobody wanted to make this movie, Midnight Cowboy. People walked out during previews; it was considered filthy in 1969. Very low budget. Consequently, on Sixth Avenue, there was no money to stack it with extras. So it’s what they call a stolen shot. We have radio mikes on, the van is across the street, we rehearse it by ourselves. You know, the director [John Schlesinger], me and [Jon] Voight. And we would have to do this dialogue walking. And the hidden camera across the street would go with us, but we couldn’t stop the signal, so we had to reach the dialogue at a certain point so we wouldn’t have to stop. It would have to be turning green when we hit it. So we rehearsed it ourselves and we finally got — oh, so we’ll start this far back, then we’ll do this pace and then we’ll get there when it just hits green — perfect — and we can just continue. And we do it, and the first take a cab jumps the light … I wound up saying, ‘I’m walkin’ here!’ But what was going through my head is: ‘Hey, we’re makin’ a movie here! And you just f–ked this shot up.’ But somehow something told me you’d better keep it within the character.
However, in the director's commentary of Midnight Cowboy, producer Jerome Hellman said the scene was filmed with an extra in the cab. Similarly, director John Schlesinger recalled, "I don't know that that was improvised. I think we got an extra inside a cab and did it. I can't swear to the fact that it was in the script or not, but I don't think that was improvised."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn’t think the first was all that great. Not excited for a second
Yeah same here. I would only be mildly interested if it were a regular movie. Since it is a musical, the worst form of movie entertainment of all time, no.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I have a dvd of Internal Affairs gathering dust in my drawer. Is it any good?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I read something today about Donny in The Great Lebowski being just a figment of Walter's imagination.

And it made sense and I am now shaken.

Top Bottom