Moore: Garrett reacts to news that the Cowboys want him to re-sign

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Fisher took over a much worse situation and he's had terrible injury luck with Bradford. Nobody can win without a QB, which Garrett has had all along.

Plus they play in what has been the best division in football. Totally different situation than what Garrett has faced.
Maybe, but that doesn't mean that continuity doesn't help winning. I think this year is a good example of it paying off.

I dont think Garrett is coaching any better, but I think years with the same system and message and preparation is having a positive effect.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree its not the norm. But to say continuity doesn't contribute to winning is silly.
But winning doesn't just happen because there's been continuity. You have to have the right people steering the ship.

Otherwise we could have just stuck with Campo or something.

Carp

DCC 4Life
But winning doesn't just happen because there's been continuity. You have to have the right people steering the ship.

Otherwise we could have just stuck with Campo or something.
Right...but you can't change players and philosophies every year and expect positive results.

Genghis Khan

Maybe, but that doesn't mean that continuity doesn't help winning. I think this year is a good example of it paying off.

I dont think Garrett is coaching any better, but I think years with the same system and message and preparation is having a positive effect.
This season is an example of absolutely the opposite of continuity.

We are winning more in large part because we changed.

New play caller, new offensive philosophy, new defensive coordinator. A lot of new players on defense.

Come on. You can't possibly believe this is an example of continuity.

Genghis Khan

Right...but you can't change players and philosophies every year and expect positive results.
That's true, but I don't think that's what has been holding us back lately.

And you can't keep doing the same thing when it hasn't been working.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That's true, but I don't think that's what has been holding us back lately.

And you can't keep doing the same thing when it hasn't been working.
I'm not only talking about the Cowboys though. Seattle is a good example...they have a philosophy and system in place. Hard to call it continuity so short into it, but that is what it is. They want to run the ball, play smart in the pass game, and rely on D. Pitt has had the same defensive scheme for years, continuity. That is my point that continuity breeds winning. You can have flash in the pan teams from time to time.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This season is an example of absolutely the opposite of continuity.

We are winning more in large part because we changed.

New play caller, new offensive philosophy, new defensive coordinator. A lot of new players on defense.

Come on. You can't possibly believe this is an example of continuity.
Marinelli and Linehan are running the same schemes and Garrett still runs the practices and such. It's different individual playcalling but the benefit of staying with similar systems is positive. Pittsburgh and NE haven't had the same coordinators every year.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I do not agree. Winning comes from continuity, not the other way around. You set a system, have a group of key players, then hope that continuity leads to winning. It can be a coach or a franchise emphasis. NE and Pitt are great examples of that...NE more from the coach, Pitt with the franchise philosophy breeding continuity.
Belichick and Tomlin both won early and showed a reason for them to stick with them though

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not only talking about the Cowboys though. Seattle is a good example...they have a philosophy and system in place. Hard to call it continuity so short into it, but that is what it is. They want to run the ball, play smart in the pass game, and rely on D. Pitt has had the same defensive scheme for years, continuity. That is my point that continuity breeds winning. You can have flash in the pan teams from time to time.
Continuity is doing the same thing continually. It can be good or bad. Within itself it is nothing unless it accomplishes something positive. The Garrett continuity was a bad thing because it accomplished nothing positive.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Continuity means nothing if you have the wrong coach in place, though. Continuing with sub-par personnel in any department can't possibly be better than hiring the best people possible.

And Harbaugh and Kelly and Reid, among others, show it's a myth that there has to be a multi-year adjustment period in today's NFL. The right guy can start winning right away.

Besides, as GK said, this year wasn't an example of continuity anyway. Jerry had to take the play sheet from Garrett and make him hand it someone else. And it worked, which in the long run is a bad thing because in Jerry's mind it's evidence that his micromanaging is a winning formula.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Marinelli and Linehan are running the same schemes and Garrett still runs the practices and such. It's different individual playcalling but the benefit of staying with similar systems is positive. Pittsburgh and NE haven't had the same coordinators every year.
The only thing that has been the same for Garretts tenure is we are still stuck with the same playbook of slow developing routes

Carp

DCC 4Life
Belichick and Tomlin both won early and showed a reason for them to stick with them though
Belicheck has a clear philosophy and that leads to sustained success and franchise continuity. Tomlin had early success because there was continuity in place when he took the job. He is George Seifert.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's interesting is how much Belichick failed his previous head coaching stop. I'm sure they wish they would have stuck with him.

Genghis Khan

And Pittsburgh and New England have continued to win with each of those changes.

Garrett hasn't won squat until (maybe) now, when he suddenly has marinelli and linehan.

Which tells you whatever success we have right now is coming from the coordinator level, not the head coach level.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Really? The ONLY thing?

I smell hyperbole.
Yes you're right I can think of something else that's been the same for Garretts whole tenure, Jerry is comfortable :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I was talking about his situation in Tennessee.
That took five full seasons until the year they lost to the Rams.

I firmly believe Garrett comes back, Jerry loves his comfort.

Top Bottom