Moore: Garrett reacts to news that the Cowboys want him to re-sign

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Garrett reacts to news that the Cowboys want him to re-sign

David Moore
Published: December 11, 2014 11:24 am

Jason Garrett has no interest in responding to comments from executive vice president Stephen Jones that make it clear the Cowboys want him to return as head coach.

Garrett, whose contract expires at the end of this season, has consistently avoided any discussion about his future. He’s not about to alter that stance three days before the Cowboys face Philadelphia in a game that will likely determine the NFC East champion.

But it’s clear that Garrett, who turned down head coaching opportunities with Baltimore and Atlanta when he was the Cowboys offensive coordinator, wants to remain. And Jones has made it clear that’s what the organization wants, calling Garrett “the right man for the job’’ and saying that it’s in the best interest of the Cowboys that Garrett coach this team into the future.

Garrett took over on an interim basis midway through the 2010 season. On Jan. 5 in 2011, he was named the eighth head coach in franchise history and signed a four year contract.

The Cowboys were 8-8 in each of Garrett’s first three seasons before breaking the .500 barrier with last week’s win over Chicago. Stephen Jones said he and his father, owner Jerry Jones, are in agreement regarding the coach’s value to the franchise.

Cotton

Staff member
Jason Garrett's focus on practice, not job status
December, 11, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have yet to address Jason Garrett’s future officially, but executive vice president Stephen Jones made it sound as if it is all but a formality that Garrett will be back in 2015 and beyond.

“Obviously it’s an improvement this year and an improvement at a time when a lot of people didn’t think we would improve,” Stephen Jones said on The Ticket (1310 AM) in Dallas Wednesday night. “They actually thought we might go backwards and here we are at nine wins with three games to go. “We’ve got a lot of work to do. But I really think Jason is the right guy for this job, and I know Jerry thinks the same thing. I certainly see Jason being a big part of our future.”

The Cowboys went 8-8 in Garrett’s first three seasons, losing Week 17 NFC East matchups each time to miss the playoffs. With last week’s win against the Chicago Bears, the Cowboys will finish above .500 for the first time since 2009 and are in position to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009.

Garrett’s contract expires after the season, and as he has done every time his future has been broached, he declined to comment.

“All I have interest in is this practice that starts in 10 minutes,” Garrett said on Thursday.

Garrett is 38-31 as the Cowboys coach, including a 5-3 mark as the interim coach in 2010. With two more wins, he would equal Barry Switzer for third-most in franchise history. Jimmy Johnson went 44-36 in five seasons. Tom Landry is the franchise leader at 250 wins from 1960-88.

The Cowboys play the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday with first place on the line in the NFC East. If the Cowboys win their final three games, they will win the division, but a loss could force them to need help to make the postseason as a wild card.

“Jason not only was qualified when he took the job, but he’s improves every day, every week, every month, every year,” Jones said. “You know, one of the things you fear is that you train a guy up and then he leaves and he goes on and he’s even better for the next team than he was for you.
“I think Jason has grown leaps and bounds. We are so comfortable -- you know, comfortable can be a bad word, you want to be on edge too -- but I really think Jason is the right guy for this job.”

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Keep Linehan and Marinelli around and I'd be fine with keeping Garrett as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This season hasn't changed much in my eyes. We have a competent NFL offensive line and so our run game has allowed us to pull off some wins that we didn't get in the 8-8 years.

I'd still have an eye out for the next Andy Reid. But I certainly buy into continuity being worth something, and we're seeing a little of it right now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This season hasn't changed much in my eyes. We have a competent NFL offensive line and so our run game has allowed us to pull off some wins that we didn't get in the 8-8 years.

I'd still have an eye out for the next Andy Reid. But I certainly buy into continuity being worth something, and we're seeing a little of it right now.
Five hundred ball and missing the playoffs year after year is pretty much continuity.

If Garrett gets in the playoffs, I have no issue saying he earned the extension.

If not, fuck off. He was 6-1 and had the best record in the NFL. It would fit with one of the biggest collapses in recent history.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Five hundred ball and missing the playoffs year after year is pretty much continuity.

If Garrett gets in the playoffs, I have no issue saying he earned the extension.

If not, fuck off. He was 6-1 and had the best record in the NFL. It would fit with one of the biggest collapses in recent history.
Yep, should be playoffs or bust.

If we finish 10-6, that means we were 4-5 after that great start. And yet again we are in position to get into the playoffs of our own accord late in the year, with 3 games left.

And, if we miss the playoffs again, that makes 4 seasons under Garrett without playoffs. In today's NFL, that's forever.

If we resign Garrett, he'll be guaranteed another 2 or 3 years. Even without making the playoffs in that span. So now you are looking at sticking with a guy for 6-7 years without making the playoffs. That's just ludicrous.

Sorry, but no. He's had enough time.

Cotton

Staff member

But but but we were 10-6! Someone look up how many times a 10-6 team has missed the playoffs. Jerry wants 2 more teams in the playoffs, and this here is why. Man is a genius. We just need an easier schedule next year and then you'll see.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Winning brings continuity not the other way around. The only coach in the NFL that has been at their job more than 3 years without at least getting to the playoffs is Garrett.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Love how Jerry talks about how Garrett was fully qualified from day one and then in the next breathe talks about the time spent training him up.

Everyone knows JG was Jerry's handpicked "HC in waiting" from day one and he was someone Jerry was "comfortable" with who also had much goodwill from the fans being a former player with the Cowboys. It's all been a charade from the time he was hired as OC right after BP left. Jerry didn't and doesn't want an actual HC with skins on the wall who would demand more power and definitely not someone who would upstage him. All JG has to do is not go 0-16 and he's a lifer as long as Jerry is here.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He's absolutely correct.
He is not. Sometimes, coaches have had mediocre seasons for three or four years to start their career before going on to make the playoffs. Jeff Fisher is one example. It shows that the continuity of the system sometimes takes a few years to pay off.

Cotton

Staff member
He is not. Sometimes, coaches have had mediocre seasons for three or four years to start their career before going on to make the playoffs. Jeff Fisher is one example. It shows that the continuity of the system sometimes takes a few years to pay off.
But, the thing is, that's not the norm. Continuity is absolutely bred by winning in 99 out of 100 cases. Just because your boyfriend could possibly be on the hot seat makes you argue otherwise.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But, the thing is, that's not the norm. Continuity is absolutely bred by winning in 99 out of 100 cases. Just because your boyfriend could possibly be on the hot seat makes you argue otherwise.
I agree its not the norm. But to say continuity doesn't contribute to winning is silly.

Cotton

Staff member
I agree its not the norm. But to say continuity doesn't contribute to winning is silly.
It's very rare that continuity comes before winning.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Fisher is just now on his 3rd year so we have to wait and see if he makes it to his 4th before we break out the annointing oil

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Fisher took over a much worse situation and he's had terrible injury luck with Bradford. Nobody can win without a QB, which Garrett has had all along.

Plus they play in what has been the best division in football. Totally different situation than what Garrett has faced.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I do not agree. Winning comes from continuity, not the other way around. You set a system, have a group of key players, then hope that continuity leads to winning. It can be a coach or a franchise emphasis. NE and Pitt are great examples of that...NE more from the coach, Pitt with the franchise philosophy breeding continuity.

Top Bottom