Moore: Does David Irving's looming suspension mean Jason Garrett doesn't care about the right kind of guy?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is as long as the league has a rule saying it will evoke suspensions. It's not a position statement on pot. It's a simple circumstance that these type players are going to be penalized and it's not a good move presently.
What good is a policy when it punishes every 2 out of 100 players for doing the same thing? It's a failure of a rule if the drug policy is so blatantly allowing other players to slide.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What good is a policy when it punishes every 2 out of 100 players for doing the same thing? It's a failure of a rule if the drug policy is so blatantly allowing other players to slide.
You are putting forth a moral argument rather a legal one which is an irony of sorts. I have no position one way or the other as to whether pot should or should not be removed as a punishable offense. I simply take the position that currently it is so it is asking for trouble to bring players on board who have a history of using it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are putting forth a moral argument rather a legal one which is an irony of sorts. I have no position one way or the other as to whether pot should or should not be removed as a punishable offense. I simply take the position that currently it is so it is asking for trouble to bring players on board who have a history of using it.
Yeah, but you're confusing an argument that I've made in the past, which is that the drug policy is nonsensical for the league, with what I'm now saying now, which is that the policy is selectively enforced and used to punish certain teams and players to excessive amounts. I'm saying the way that the policy is designed leaves it open to abuses of the system and "playing favorites" which is what we are talking about. This isn't a matter of the Cowboys taking excessive risks compared to other NFL teams. Which then brings up the question of why is it that the Cowboys have nearly twice as many suspensions as any other NFL team.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, but you're confusing an argument that I've made in the past, which is that the drug policy is nonsensical for the league, with what I'm now saying now, which is that the policy is selectively enforced and used to punish certain teams and players to excessive amounts. I'm saying the way that the policy is designed leaves it open to abuses of the system and "playing favorites" which is what we are talking about. This isn't a matter of the Cowboys taking excessive risks compared to other NFL teams. Which then brings up the question of why is it that the Cowboys have nearly twice as many suspensions as any other NFL team.
I don't know whether it is a rigged system or not but if I thought I was facing a process that will likely penalize me unfairly I don't think I would spin the wheel on a loaded game. That's all I am saying. Whether the system is dishonest I don't know but it is still the system. Why tempt fate?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know whether it is a rigged system or not but if I thought I was facing a process that will likely penalize me unfairly I don't think I would spin the wheel on a loaded game. That's all I am saying. Whether the system is dishonest I don't know but it is still the system. Why tempt fate?
Well because you're not going to be able to compete with the other teams that are able to get those same players and not worry about suspensions? Hell the Bengals take on more questionable character guys than anyone. And yet they sit with the least of the NFL in terms of suspensions.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well because you're not going to be able to compete with the other teams that are able to get those same players and not worry about suspensions? Hell the Bengals take on more questionable character guys than anyone. And yet they sit with the least of the NFL in terms of suspensions.
But they don't play anyway. They are serving suspensions. It's the law of diminishing returns.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I can't believe so many of you buy into the "Mara is screwing us behind the scenes" bit.

Come on. I thought this was the board for realists. :tippytoe

Maybe it's as simple as us taking on more headcases than anyone else, and then enabling them.

townsend

Banned
I can't believe so many of you buy into the "Mara is screwing us behind the scenes" bit.

Come on. I thought this was the board for realists. :tippytoe

Maybe it's as simple as us taking on more headcases than anyone else, and then enabling them.
I don't think it's a conspiracy but I do think us being the highest profile team in the league makes a difference. I promise you no one would have cared if Greg Hardy went to Cincinnati. When we sign a trouble maker, it's national news, and the only reason Goodell suspends people is when he feels like they make him look bad.

Now on top of that, Jerry doesn't cut bait like other teams whenever a guy effs up. Brent, McClain, and now Gregory have been treated like prodigal sons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now on top of that, Jerry doesn't cut bait like other teams whenever a guy effs up. Brent, McClain, and now Gregory have been treated like prodigal sons.
I certainly think this is part of it. Other NFL teams take just as many chances on guys as us. But our numbers would drop substantially had we cut bait on McClain and Gregory when they first started screwing up as opposed to holding them on the roster.

I'm also wondering about those numbers. Daryl Washington of the Cardinals has been suspended for like 3 years now. So how is it that the Cardinals only have 21 games? It's also proof that it's not only the Cowboys that hold onto these troubled players.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think it's a conspiracy but I do think us being the highest profile team in the league makes a difference. I promise you no one would have cared if Greg Hardy went to Cincinnati. When we sign a trouble maker, it's national news, and the only reason Goodell suspends people is when he feels like they make him look bad.

Case in point, Frank Clark in Seattle. Heard very little about that, and his issues are far worse than anything Gregory ever did.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Case in point, Frank Clark in Seattle. Heard very little about that, and his issues are far worse than anything Gregory ever did.
Or especially Elliott. Their outright refusal to close that case screams there is an issue. I also chuckled at the idea of a conspiracy, but between the Giants kicker abusing his wife while an active player, it put things in perspective.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or especially Elliott. Their outright refusal to close that case screams there is an issue. I also chuckled at the idea of a conspiracy, but between the Giants kicker abusing his wife while an active player, it put things in perspective.
And Elliott is the one I really struggle with. With drug testing it's impossible to know if it is being implemented evenly across the board. I have no idea how the league determines if and when they will do a drug test. And the results are largely confidential until a suspension is imminent. Hell it was Von Miller who tried to skirt the system by working with the urine collector to avoid his urine actually being tested. So to know if the drug program is actually operated fairly and evenly is nearly impossible.

On the other hand Elliott's situation is a screaming example of the imbalance. That's public just like almost every other criminal case. And yet for some reason Elliott is being investigated a year later while other players investigations last a couple of months with no issues.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yep. I even forgot about the kicker until you mentioned it. Funny how that happens.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm guessing both.

It seems like all of the other NFL teams are bunched fairly close together and than the Cowboys is this ridiculous outlier. And I refuse to believe we take that many more "chances" than other teams. Not by a long shot.
Why do you refuse to believe it. Rolling the dice on talented, high-risk players is Jerry's MO. Has been for well over 20 years.

Jerry's always taken gambles on troubled players who have talent. Mainly because we can get them on the cheap. They look at it as low risk (financially speaking) high reward. But more times than not the gamble doesn't pay off.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Exactly right. Dallas has earned their fate on failed gambles with players with baggage.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you refuse to believe it. Rolling the dice on talented, high-risk players is Jerry's MO. Has been for well over 20 years.

Jerry's always taken gambles on troubled players who have talent. Mainly because we can get them on the cheap. They look at it as low risk (financially speaking) high reward. But more times than not the gamble doesn't pay off.
Because we don't. Not compared to teams like the Bengals. We used to take on a lot of those players but we don't anymore. Now it's like one or two at a time. The Bengals have a whole team of those guys.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Elliott didn't have baggage that anyone knew about at the time we drafted him.
Just because we didn't know about it, doesn't mean the team didn't.

And I'd bet that they did. When you're about to commit multi millions to somebody, you tend to check into what you're about to invest in. The stories were already out there about his penchant for partying. You think in their digging, they didn't find about other things if they were there, such as this? I seriously doubt it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Did we with Elliott?
Why would you single him out? Nothing has happened with him. I'm referencing those who have been a detriment to the team. If and when Elliot ends up like some of the others then he would be a topic for discussion.

Top Bottom