MLB Chatter Thread

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
I don't really like the signing at all. Mainly because it squashes any lingering hopes that Monty will be back.
Monty's price range is well above what the ownership wants to spend given the uncertainty over the TV deal.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
Lorenzen was on the Phillies last year. He's pretty up and down, can look great one game but not so much another. I wouldn't count on much from him in the postseason but he can cover some regular season games.
That's all Texas needs. Actually, he might be moreso insurance in case of an injury because the starting five is set with Eovaldi-Gray-Dunning-Heaney-Bradford. I imagine he gets stretched out at AAA for a bit.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Monty's price range is well above what the ownership wants to spend given the uncertainty over the TV deal.
I know the reasoning. Just don't agree with it. It's not like the defending world series winning club isn't going to draw a TV deal.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
I know the reasoning. Just don't agree with it. It's not like the defending world series winning club isn't going to draw a TV deal.
I hear ya. I would have preferred Monty, too.
But it's good that they at least addressed the need for SP depth until the three injured guys get back.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Also, originally Ohtani's camp admits to transferring money to help the interpreter cover gambling debts only to then come back hours later and change their story by claiming it was theft and they knew nothing about the debt.

Where there's smoke there's usually fire. I wouldn't be surprised if Ohtani's tied up in gambling as well.
That's the problem I have with it too.

His camp admitted to Ohtani making the payments himself to cover the debts.

And the interpreter said all this an interview with ESPN on Tuesday, not in some random ass statement on social media.

You telling me Ohtani or his team didn't give him the green light to do the interview and say those things?

I think someone from the Dodgers saw what was the interview and quickly relayed to Ohtani and his team that being associated with this ordeal was a terrible look and they needed to disassociate from it altogether and that's when they made the interpreter the fall guy.

There's no way he would have been given permission to do that interview if there wasn't some truth to it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It definitely seems fishy. I was wondering how an interpreter could get his hands on his bank account also.
That part is not a big issue for me because Yao Ming's interpreter had access to certain things like that too because their job isn't just translating the language for them, it's also to help to make the transition to the American way of doing things.

The difference is that in Yao Ming's case and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of other foreign athletes, those transactions are typically only performed with their approval.

I can definitely see a situation where some guys are less strict about that stuff than others....like they don't think to keep an eye on every little thing.

My point is, I don't think it's fishy for just having access to the bank account, but I do think completely backtracking on his story that he gave to ESPN on Tuesday is a huge red flag and suggests Ohtani was more involved than they are letting on.

Rev

Staff member
I'm more convinced now than ever that you just have to include the Astros in on this. I'm going to need some discipline handed out. Something extremely hard so that it deters any other funny stuff.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That part is not a big issue for me because Yao Ming's interpreter had access to certain things like that too because their job isn't just translating the language for them, it's also to help to make the transition to the American way of doing things.
I would think this would be a service his agents provide. From my understanding the interpreter is a team employee, which makes it look out of place.

Rev

Staff member

Top Bottom