MLB Chatter Thread

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
No one is surprised by this deGrom news.

As an aside, MLB teams need to really take a hard look and reassess how pitchers approach the game today. We are losing entirely too many pitchers to arm injuries now compared to pre-2000.

Back then pitchers actually threw 130+ pitches regularly, pitched complete games, and there weren't nearly as many arm issues as there are today.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

As an aside, MLB teams need to really take a hard look and reassess how pitchers approach the game today. We are losing entirely too many pitchers to arm injuries now compared to pre-2000.

Back then pitchers actually threw 130+ pitches regularly, pitched complete games, and there weren't nearly as many arm issues as there are today.
Nolan Ryan is the perfect example. That cat used to easily hit 3 figures in pitch count on a regular basis.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Longhorn pitcher just pitched a 130 pitch complete game this past weekend.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Nolan Ryan is the perfect example. That cat used to easily hit 3 figures in pitch count on a regular basis.
Nolan was a freak of nature but even mid-tier pitchers in the 80s would give you 7 innings on 135 pitches. And hardly anyone had to be shut down due to arm problems.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Nolan Ryan had 222 complete games. Bert Blyleven had 242 complete games.

Hell, today's pitchers probably won't even reach 25 for their careers.
They were talking about complete games the other day on a show I was listening to. I can't remember the exact number but basically there's been something like an average of 45 complete games MLB wide over the last 5 seasons.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Because I was curious... In 1977, Nolan Ryan had 22 complete games. In 1985, Bert Blyleven had 24.

MLB last year had 36. Combined.

Cotton

Staff member
They were talking about complete games the other day on a show I was listening to. I can't remember the exact number but basically there's been something like an average of 45 complete games MLB wide over the last 5 seasons.
Thank god we have the pitch clock and bigger bases now to help offenses steal more bases etc, so that even less complete games will happen.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Speaking of complete games, one big thing there that pisses me off. Combined no-hitters.

I can understand it if the starter gets hurt and can't continue. But when they take them out because they've reached a pitch count? GTFO.

I'd be pissed if I was working on a no-no and got pulled out of the game.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
Speaking of complete games, one big thing there that pisses me off. Combined no-hitters.

I can understand it if the starter gets hurt and can't continue. But when they take them out because they've reached a pitch count? GTFO.

I'd be pissed if I was working on a no-no and got pulled out of the game.
I agree. Not a no hitter, but a couple weeks back the Rangers pulled their SP with one out left in the ninth because his pitch count was at 113. He was pitching a scoreless shutout up to that point.
Made me mad.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
deGrom aside, seems a few guys in the bullpen are improving lately. Will Smith looks like a really good closer. 40-20, 4.5 games up on Houston. After seven years of suck, just enjoy the fact they're good right now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They are talking about possibly postponing the Phillies also.

The air quality where I am seems fine but I do have family and friends further north who say it's not good.

Cotton

Staff member
They are talking about possibly postponing the Phillies also.

The air quality where I am seems fine but I do have family and friends further north who say it's not good.
It's just smoke in the air. These jackasses should live in Texas where we get NM and CA smoke all the time.

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom