MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
@bbgun

Dodgers took Gallo.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Hallelujah. Yanks gave up a lot for that fake Rolex. And some of you were legitimately pissed that the Rangers traded him. :rolleyes

Rev

Staff member
Hallelujah. Yanks gave up a lot for that fake Rolex. And some of you were legitimately pissed that the Rangers traded him. :rolleyes
He doesn't post here anymore and I think he was the only Ranger fan that was upset

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Was going to say, who was pissed they traded him? The only big Gallo fans I remember (from other boards) were the kids super into the new analytics who loved telling the olds that strikeouts don't matter and HRs were everything.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm not a rangers fan but I always liked Gallo and I'd agree that strikeouts are way overrated for a hitter. Hitting homers and getting on base is way way more important than how you make an out or what your batting average is.

But let's not pretend this is the same player that he was on the Rangers. He's been way worse with the Yankees. And I'm guessing this is the fault of @bbgun .

Rev

Staff member
I'm not a rangers fan but I always liked Gallo and I'd agree that strikeouts are way overrated for a hitter. Hitting homers and getting on base is way way more important than how you make an out or what your batting average is.

But let's not pretend this is the same player that he was on the Rangers. He's been way worse with the Yankees. And I'm guessing this is the fault of @bbgun .
I get what you are saying but Ive watched the guy for many years and its the same pitch in the same area that he swings at. He wont take the approach to try to hit the other way and would just love to whine about the shift. Im glad he is elsewhere but to be honest NY was the last place that he should have gone.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'd agree that strikeouts are way overrated for a hitter. Hitting homers and getting on base is way way more important than how you make an out or what your batting average is.
I disagree with you on this one. I think strikeouts do matter.

You can't move a runner over a base on a strikeout. But you can by flying out or grounding out.

You can't get an RBI on a strikeout. But you can with a flyball or ground out.

Also, putting the ball in play gives you a shot at getting on base via an error. That doesn't happen nearly as often on strikeouts.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I get what you are saying but Ive watched the guy for many years and its the same pitch in the same area that he swings at. He wont take the approach to try to hit the other way and would just love to whine about the shift. Im glad he is elsewhere but to be honest NY was the last place that he should have gone.
The shift goes away next season. Now watch him turn into a .260 hitter. :lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I disagree with you on this one. I think strikeouts do matter.

You can't move a runner over a base on a strikeout. But you can by flying out or grounding out.

You can't get an RBI on a strikeout. But you can with a flyball or ground out.

Also, putting the ball in play gives you a shot at getting on base via an error. That doesn't happen nearly as often on strikeouts.

I said they are way overrated, not that they don't matter. I agree there are specific situations where they matter, but some people act is if when there's for example 2 outs and nobody on that a strike out is a huge deal compared to a fly out or something, and it's not. Yes there's a chance of an error and a batted ball anywhere gives you a chance of getting on base, but it's ultimately not a huge difference over a strikeout because even with a batted ball your odds aren't great of getting on base.

Not to mention if you're striking out you're probably swinging for power which means there's a big payoff to risking a strikeout.

As I said, I'm not saying strikeouts don't matter but there are a lot of situations where an out is an out and just counting raw strikeout numbers doesn't account for that. Meanwhile if it's a tradeoff for getting a lot of extra base hits it's probably worth it in most situations.

It's like the 3 point shot in basketball. Yes, you're likely to shoot a lower percentage of three pointers, but if you're shooting the three above say 35%, the tradeoff for more points is probably worth it in the long run.

I'd take a team full of high strikeout, high homer hitters over a team of low strike out singles hitters all day, assuming similar OBPs.

Ultimately I'm saying the strikeout numbers on a guy with a high OPS doesn't matter as much because he's generating a lot of production regardless. And yes, there are certainly specific situations where you want to put the ball in play but just looking at a guy's raw strikeout numbers doesn't tell you a whole lot regarding that. So strikeouts are overrated for a hitter.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gallo was one of the most frustrating players I have ever watched play for the Rangers.

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

:budd

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Cole you fucking fraud. I might hate him more than Joey.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NOLAN RYAN DAY! :towel
The late 1970s were the salad days with baseball for me. I collected cards. It was the national past-time and there were legends.

Then you had GOATS like Ryan. Man was a fucking bad ass.

I don't know exactly why I fell off watching it roughly 18 years ago, but I did.

Cotton

Staff member
The late 1970s were the salad days with baseball for me. I collected cards. It was the national past-time and there were legends.

Then you had GOATS like Ryan. Man was a fucking bad ass.

I don't know exactly why I fell off watching it roughly 18 years ago, but I did.
MLB was different back then. I guess all sports are getting ruined to a degree.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
MLB was different back then. I guess all sports are getting ruined to a degree.
They were probably already ruined, we just didn't know it at the time.

Image is everything. We were fed romance as kids with sports.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The way the game is played today vs how it was played back then is a major reason why a lot of people have stopped following the sport.

The game is not nearly as exciting as it used to be because the game has pretty much become a station-to-station game and there's not nearly as much action in the game as there was 30 years ago.

I loved the days when you had several guys across the league stealing 50+ bases. I loved when the ball was put into play more often and it wasn't just guys parading to the plate striking out 200 times. Also, all the extreme defensive shifts have kept even more runners off base.

I believe it was Theo Epstein who said this in a recent interview regarding defensive shifts and analytics in the sport.....baseball's problem is they got too smart for their own good and it's hurt the product on the field and made the sport harder to watch.

Top Bottom