MLB Chatter Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
TWINS WIN!! :towel

1-0 BABY!!

Man. I can't remember the last time they had a winning record...

D

Deuce

He won't have to wait for the winter to talk about it. Im thinking early August.
You talk like we have 9 Joey Gallo's out there. We have talent, just need pitching to be better than last year. Alex Cobb returning to full strength should help.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You talk like we have 9 Joey Gallo's out there. We have talent, just need pitching to be better than last year. Alex Cobb returning to full strength should help.
You wish you could have just 1 Joey Gallo.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, there was a play in Rangers game that I think they got wrong. One out, ball was hit to left and was caught in the air. Runner at second didn't tag and was caught on a force out. Runner from third scored before the force out at second. They allowed the run. That's not right, is it? I mean, it would be the same as a double play with the bases loaded where the runner from third scores before the double play is completed. Am I losing my mind, or did they get that wrong?

Cotton

Staff member
Odor with HRs in his first two at bats to start the season. One for each horse. :towel

Cotton

Staff member
The Official Baseball Rules hold that if the third out of an inning is a force out of a runner advancing to any base then, even if another baserunner crosses home plate before that force out is made, his run does not count. But if the third out is not a force out, but a tag out, then if that other baserunner crosses home plate before that tag out is made, his run will count.

Yeah, that run shouldn't have counted.

Cotton

Staff member
Never mind, I think I'm wrong. It's considered the runner trying to tag up in that situation, and not considered a force out. Hell, I don't know.

dallen

Senior Tech
Never mind, I think I'm wrong. It's considered the runner trying to tag up in that situation, and not considered a force out. Hell, I don't know.
You are now qualified to be a MLB umpire

Cotton

Staff member
You are now qualified to be a MLB umpire
:lol

I'm still not convinced either way. I have read all of the rules on it, but still not 100% sure. Hell, I umped for about 5 years. I really should know this.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, and this is going to be a long damn year if our bullpen doesn't get its head out of its ass.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

I'm still not convinced either way. I have read all of the rules on it, but still not 100% sure. Hell, I umped for about 5 years. I really should know this.
It's not a force out, as the rule states. A force is where you have no choice but to advance to the next base, with a runner behind you heading to the base you occupied. In this case, the runner was just caught off the base after a fly ball. In the first line of the rule you posted, it states why the run would count when it speaks of the runner advancing. The runner in your example was not advancing, but trying to get back to his original base. Therefore, not a force out.

Cotton

Staff member
It's not a force out, as the rule states. A force is where you have no choice but to advance to the next base, with a runner behind you heading to the base you occupied. In this case, the runner was just caught off the base after a fly ball. In the first line of the rule you posted, it states why the run would count when it speaks of the runner advancing. The runner in your example was not advancing, but trying to get back to his original base. Therefore, not a force out.
Yeah, I think you're right.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=28]Rev[/MENTION] [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]

I watch a good amount of Rangers games a year, but I don't follow them day in and day out like you do, so I'm curious to know what your opinion is of Darvish?

From what I've seen, I don't think he's ever going to be anything more than what he is right now -- a good pitcher. I don't think he's all that much better than he was when he joined the club.

IMO, he'll be an excellent #2, but he'll never be an Ace.

Cotton

Staff member

I watch a good amount of Rangers games a year, but I don't follow them day in and day out like you do, so I'm curious to know what your opinion is of Darvish?

From what I've seen, I don't think he's ever going to be anything more than what he is right now -- a good pitcher. I don't think he's all that much better than he was when he joined the club.

He is frustrating as hell. He can look so damn good one inning and then the next inning struggle to get anywhere near the plate. He starts slow (although he didn't last night) which causes him to try to paint the corners of the plate. He is a strikeout machine, but at the same time can go off the rails in a blink it feels like. Granted, the TJS didn't help, but he is just really frustrating to watch sometimes. And, then, at other times, he seems like a HOFer. Maybe my frustration comes from my expectations being too high. I don't know.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I think it's all in his head. He tries so hard to be perfect and strike everybody out that one bad pitch gets him in a funk. If you watch him he can make the best hitters look foolish but turn around and walk # 9 hitters on 4 straight pitches. This also leads to high pitch counts frequently and leaving games earlier than you want. I still enjoy watching him pitch because he can have a special night at any time.

I do think he is going to have a great year, though. I'm not going to get down after game 1. Im just not sure the 30 mill/ year to resign him is the best option for the Rangers.

Cotton

Staff member
I think it's all in his head. He tries so hard to be perfect and strike everybody out that one bad pitch gets him in a funk. If you watch him he can make the best hitters look foolish but turn around and walk # 9 hitters on 4 straight pitches. This also leads to high pitch counts frequently and leaving games earlier than you want. I still enjoy watching him pitch because he can have a special night at any time.

I do think he is going to have a great year, though. I'm not going to get down after game 1. Im just not sure the 30 mill/ year to resign him is the best option for the Rangers.
Unless he has a Cy Young type year, no way do I want to re-sign him for that.

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom