Super Moderator
Staff member
Now that I could support.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sources: MLB, union agree to use dugout signal for intentional walk
ESPN.com news services

As part of its initiative to improve pace-of-game play, Major League Baseball has approved a change to the intentional walk rule, going from the traditional four-pitch walk to a dugout signal, team and union sources told ESPN's Howard Bryant.

MLB has studied various ways to quicken games.

ESPN's Jayson Stark reported earlier this month that MLB had made formal proposals to the players' union to usher in both raising the strike zone and scrapping the practice of lobbing four balls toward home plate to issue an intentional walk.

Getting rid of the old-fashioned intentional walk would eliminate about a minute of dead time per walk. In an age in which intentional walks actually have been declining -- there were just 932 all last season (or one every 2.6 games) -- that time savings would be minimal. But MLB saw the practice of lobbing four meaningless pitches as antiquated.

Stark reported at the time that for the intentional walk rule to go into effect this season, an agreement between the league and union would have to be reached "sooner rather than later," since spring training games are close to beginning.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said Tuesday he didn't want to share specifics of his priorities for alterations.

"There's a variety of changes that can be undertaken,'' he said. "I'm committed to the idea that we have a set of proposals out there and we continue to discuss those proposals in private.''

I'm actually okay with this.

Cotton

Staff member

Not a big fan of A&M, but this is awesome.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I find it funny that every time they want to talk about the best players in the game they begin and end with Kershaw and Trout...both great players, but I guess they have not heard of Noah Syndergaard...he's pretty good.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I find it funny that every time they want to talk about the best players in the game they begin and end with Kershaw and Trout...both great players, but I guess they have not heard of Noah Syndergaard...he's pretty good.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I agree and Andrus is still available.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He is damn good but he hasn't even pitched 350 innings yet. If he has a couple > 200 IP seasons at the level he has started then he will start getting more love. And it isn't like he isn't getting any love. He is awesome and I don't hear anyone saying anything else. But you have more accomplished SPs like MadBum and Scherzer that right now should be mentioned before Syndergaard.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Here Is A Thing That Happened In Tim Tebow's Spring Training Debut
Barry Petchesky
Today 9:01am

At the start of the bottom of the third inning, New York Mets designated hitter Tim Tebow left the dugout to get some warm-up swings in before stepping into the box. But, strangely, he walked all the way around behind the plate—from the Mets dugout on the third-base side to the on-deck circle in front of the visitors’ dugout, on the first-base side.

Boston’s Rick Porcello, warming up on the mound, said he assumed it was a bat boy. After all, why would a Mets player be over there?

After a few swings, home plate umpire Ryan Additon noticed Tebow in the wrong on-deck circle, and told Tebow to get back to his side of the field. Tebow sheepishly complied.

Afterward Tebow explained his mistake, saying he had always thought that lefty batters warm up on that side of the field no matter which team they play for.

“I thought you walk around because you’re a left-hander. I found out you don’t do that.”

“It looked like he hadn’t played baseball in a while,” Mets hitting coach Kevin Long said.

“He’s so far behind on the nuances of the game,” Mets OF Jay Bruce said.

“Definitely there’s a lot of things I’m trying to play catch-up on,” Tebow said.

Tebow went 0-for-3, with two strikeouts and a grounder into a double play. He reached base when he was hit by a pitch; he was promptly doubled off on a soft liner when he strayed too far from first.
---------------------------------------------

:picard

Anyone who knows anything about baseball knew that Tebow had no business entering the sport in anything other than some podunk Independent League team—maybe he could be a decent player for the River City Rascals in O'Fallon, MO—so the fact that he is laughably overmatched is not surprising. He should never even be in this situation of facing legitimate MLB pitchers at this stage in his...development? But to walk around to the wrong batter's box? Really? That is some tee ball level shit.

It really isn't fair to Tebow to get this much media attention when he is literally playing baseball for the first time since high school. He is going to fail spectacularly and it is all going to get covered. But he knew that going in and embraces the attention so he gets to deal with everything that comes with it. After all, he is the guy who started pimping autographed baseball equipment before he even put on a uniform.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Here Is A Thing That Happened In Tim Tebow's Spring Training Debut
Barry Petchesky
Today 9:01am

At the start of the bottom of the third inning, New York Mets designated hitter Tim Tebow left the dugout to get some warm-up swings in before stepping into the box. But, strangely, he walked all the way around behind the plate—from the Mets dugout on the third-base side to the on-deck circle in front of the visitors’ dugout, on the first-base side.

Boston’s Rick Porcello, warming up on the mound, said he assumed it was a bat boy. After all, why would a Mets player be over there?

After a few swings, home plate umpire Ryan Additon noticed Tebow in the wrong on-deck circle, and told Tebow to get back to his side of the field. Tebow sheepishly complied.

Afterward Tebow explained his mistake, saying he had always thought that lefty batters warm up on that side of the field no matter which team they play for.

“I thought you walk around because you’re a left-hander. I found out you don’t do that.”

“It looked like he hadn’t played baseball in a while,” Mets hitting coach Kevin Long said.

“He’s so far behind on the nuances of the game,” Mets OF Jay Bruce said.

“Definitely there’s a lot of things I’m trying to play catch-up on,” Tebow said.

Tebow went 0-for-3, with two strikeouts and a grounder into a double play. He reached base when he was hit by a pitch; he was promptly doubled off on a soft liner when he strayed too far from first.
---------------------------------------------

:picard

Anyone who knows anything about baseball knew that Tebow had no business entering the sport in anything other than some podunk Independent League team—maybe he could be a decent player for the River City Rascals in O'Fallon, MO—so the fact that he is laughably overmatched is not surprising. He should never even be in this situation of facing legitimate MLB pitchers at this stage in his...development? But to walk around to the wrong batter's box? Really? That is some tee ball level shit.

It really isn't fair to Tebow to get this much media attention when he is literally playing baseball for the first time since high school. He is going to fail spectacularly and it is all going to get covered. But he knew that going in and embraces the attention so he gets to deal with everything that comes with it. After all, he is the guy who started pimping autographed baseball equipment before he even put on a uniform.
You know who I'm using my last round draft pick on, don't you?

dallen

Senior Tech
To be fair to Tebow - in my daughter's 10U softball league they used to have them do the same thing.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
With my keepers, I might be able to get away with it.
Your team and mine are among the handful that are coming into the draft with 5 excellent keepers. Due to the depth of my team I have to let 5 consensus top 60 picks go back into the draft. #eliteteamproblems

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
To be fair to Tebow - in my daughter's 10U softball league they used to have them do the same thing.
I have no doubt that Tebow would be an elite player in a girls 10U softball league. His work ethic and attitude is so outstanding that I believe it would give him a distinct edge over most if not all of those 9 & 10 year old girls.

Rev

Staff member
The Rangers aren’t sure if Lewis has continued to train for a season, but they haven’t ruled him out as a possibility to take Cashner’s spot. He said via text message that he is throwing off and on but could be ready by the Rangers’ fourth game.

For now, it’s up to as many as seven pitchers to make their case for what is now two rotation spots.

“It means these kids have to help us make up our minds who we are going to leave camp with,” Brocail said. “I don’t see any way Cash will be ready by Opening Day. We have some work to do. We have to decide what direction we’re going and who gets the innings. We have a lot of camp left. That’s good.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...137546888.html

:towel

:skurred

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Rangers aren’t sure if Lewis has continued to train for a season, but they haven’t ruled him out as a possibility to take Cashner’s spot. He said via text message that he is throwing off and on but could be ready by the Rangers’ fourth game.

For now, it’s up to as many as seven pitchers to make their case for what is now two rotation spots.

“It means these kids have to help us make up our minds who we are going to leave camp with,” Brocail said. “I don’t see any way Cash will be ready by Opening Day. We have some work to do. We have to decide what direction we’re going and who gets the innings. We have a lot of camp left. That’s good.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...137546888.html

:towel

:skurred
That Rangers rotation is garbage after Darvish and Hamels. They are going to have to do something but they have already moved several of their higher end prospects. And they waited too long to move Profar, now the shine is off and his trade value is down to the point that he is more valuable to just keep as a utility player. Gallo's trade value is going to take a nosedive too if he can't improve that strikeout rate. Who do they have left to trade? They have a great lineup so they can not afford to dick around and have a lost season because their rotation is weak. They have to get someone but good starters cost a fortune in prospects.

I get why they rolled the dice on a one year deal for Cashner but at the same time was there not someone comparable that has a better track record of health? Jason Hammel is no ace but the Royals got him for 2/$16M and he'll give them a decent 175 IP. Not sure why the Rangers weren't looking at someone like that over a guy like Cashner who has always battle some sort of injuries.

A few years ago Cashner looked like he was on his way to being a pretty damn good starter but he has been terrible and/or injured a lot the past couple of years. There was a lot more bust potential than boom potential in that signing. Side note, the Cubs got Rizzo and some nobody for Cashner and some nobody in 2012. I think I like the way that trade has turned out for the Cubs.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
That Rangers rotation is garbage after Darvish and Hamels. They are going to have to do something but they have already moved several of their higher end prospects. And they waited too long to move Profar, now the shine is off and his trade value is down to the point that he is more valuable to just keep as a utility player. Gallo's trade value is going to take a nosedive too if he can't improve that strikeout rate. Who do they have left to trade? They have a great lineup so they can not afford to dick around and have a lost season because their rotation is weak. They have to get someone but good starters cost a fortune in prospects.

I get why they rolled the dice on a one year deal for Cashner but at the same time was there not someone comparable that has a better track record of health? A few years ago he looked like he was on his way to being a pretty damn good starter but he has been terrible and/or injured a lot the past couple of years. There was a lot more bust potential than boom potential in that signing. Side note, the Cubs got Rizzo and some nobody for Cashner and some nobody in 2012. I think I like the way that trade has turned out for the Cubs.
Yeah the window is closing or closed on high expectations for the Rangers in my opinion. Right now it's Darvish/Hamels/Perez and then a bunch of junk for the rotation. They are yet again hoping on injury recoveries as they wait for Ross to be ready. All their talent is real young so don't really see much help as far as trades.

As far as Profar they didn't know Odor was going to develop like he did or as quick as he did. Then Profar got hurt so I don't really think it was a case of waiting too long. Just bad luck.

I just have to trust Banister this year. He seems to be able to get more out of players than they should.

On a side note one of the owners is pushing the idea of resigning Darvish as a real possibility. I'm still skeptical on whether they can or even if they should.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yeah the window is closing or closed on high expectations for the Rangers in my opinion. Right now it's Darvish/Hamels/Perez and then a bunch of junk for the rotation. They are yet again hoping on injury recoveries as they wait for Ross to be ready. All their talent is real young so don't really see much help as far as trades.

As far as Profar they didn't know Odor was going to develop like he did or as quick as he did. Then Profar got hurt so I don't really think it was a case of waiting too long. Just bad luck.

I just have to trust Banister this year. He seems to be able to get more out of players than they should.

On a side note one of the owners is pushing the idea of resigning Darvish as a real possibility. I'm still skeptical on whether they can or even if they should.
I think they'll find a way. I still expect them to be good because they have two guys at the top of the rotation that are very good and their lineup is outstanding. But they need more starting pitching to truly be contenders and they are going to have to get it no later than the trade deadline. How is their bullpen?

Regarding Darvish, I think they should just let him go so the Cubs can sign him as a free agent after Arrieta leaves.

Cotton

Staff member
I think they'll find a way. I still expect them to be good because they have two guys at the top of the rotation that are very good and their lineup is outstanding. But they need more starting pitching to truly be contenders and they are going to have to get it no later than the trade deadline. How is their bullpen?

Regarding Darvish, I think they should just let him go so the Cubs can sign him as a free agent after Arrieta leaves.
Bullpen is good, but not great. Diekman, Dyson, and Bush are all really solid, but the rest is kinda iffy. As far as our starting pitching goes, they are even considering going with a 4 man rotation to start the season it's so top heavy, and bottom light.

Rev

Staff member

Bullpen is very good. They are light on a lefty until Diekman gets back but Barnette, Bush, Kela, Claudio, Jeffress, and Dyson are very good.

Top Bottom