Michael Sam would have had four offers if undrafted

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Michael Sam would have had four offers if undrafted

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 10, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT

The Rams made history when they used the 249th pick on Missouri defensive end Michael Sam.

But if he had lasted through eight more picks, he’d have had his choice of offers.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Sam would have chosen between offers from four teams — the Rams, Bears, Giants and Ravens as an undrafted free agent.

To be honest, it’s surprising more teams wouldn’t have wanted to bring him in, or at least let it known they were interested in possibly doing so.

The Ravens are the only base 3-4 defense of the bunch, but they’ve shown a flexibility over the years that would have allowed him to find a spot.

But the Rams made it a moot point by taking him with a compensatory pick.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The problem with signing Sam is the media shitstorm they'll face if he doesn't make the team, he's pretty much assured a roster spot now

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The problem with signing Sam is the media shitstorm they'll face if he doesn't make the team, he's pretty much assured a roster spot now
As long as they don't show that footage they did when he was drafted again, it will be okay.

D

Deuce

As long as they don't show that footage they did when he was drafted again, it will be okay.
Are you kidding? That footage is going to be replayed for years to come, including in his own 30 for 40 movie I bet. Friggin NFLN showed it twice back to back yesterday at the end of the draft.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Are you kidding? That footage is going to be replayed for years to come, including in his own 30 for 40 movie I bet. Friggin NFLN showed it twice back to back yesterday at the end of the draft.
It will replace The Catch as the NFLs new favorite intro.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Dolphins player that tweeted #OMG and #Horrible after Sam was drafted, was just fined an undisclosed amount of money, and suspended indefinitely from all team activities until he completes a sensitivity training course.

:picard

D

Deuce

The Dolphins player that tweeted #OMG and #Horrible after Sam was drafted, was just fined an undisclosed amount of money, and suspended indefinitely from all team activities until he completes a sensitivity training course.

:picard
It's an overreaction for sure, but if any team was going to act that way it's the one that just got busted for having major lockerroom/bullying problems.

Pouncey was forced to shut his twitter account down by the team 2 days ago for a stupid little joke. After they took an OL in the first round, he tweeted something like "can't wait to see what gifts he brings us!" Pretty harmless but the team went nuts.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, the Fins are the last team that need to be saying stupid things. Although, the whole thing was pretty uncomfortable with his boyfriend and everything. It shouldn't have been, we've all seen interracial couples before.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wonder how many players got fined etc., for making fun of Tebow?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Michael Sam: I should have gone in the first three rounds

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 12, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT

Rams defensive end Michael Sam believes he should have been drafted much, much earlier than he was.

Sam, selected late in the seventh round, said NFL teams chickened out from drafting him, although he stopped short of saying that his draft stock dropped because he was the first openly gay prospect in NFL history.

“From last season alone, I should’ve been in the first three rounds. SEC Defensive Player of the Year, All-American,” Sam said, via the Associated Press. “I knew I was going to get picked somewhere. Every team that passed me, I was thinking how I’m going to sack their quarterback.”

Many of the great players in NFL history who were selected in the late rounds of the draft have used that fact as motivation. Former sixth-round pick Tom Brady can still name all of the quarterbacks who were drafted ahead of him. The Rams should be glad that Sam is fired up by a perceived slight.

But Sam is wrong if he thinks being SEC Defensive Player of the Year or an All-American should make him a high draft pick. Those are media awards, and NFL teams couldn’t care less what sportswriters think. For proof of that, Sam needs to look no further than his fellow Associated Press All-American defensive end, Jackson Jeffcoat: Despite a great college career and a Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year award, Jeffcoat went undrafted. NFL teams weren’t discriminating against Jeffcoat when they passed on him, they were simply calculating that he lacks the size and strength to be a great defensive lineman, while simultaneously lacking the speed and burst to be a great linebacker. In that respect, Jeffcoat and Sam are similar players and similar NFL prospects.

Maybe Jeffcoat, who signed as an undrafted free agent with the Seahawks, will prove the teams that passed on him wrong and play like a guy who should have gone in the first three rounds. And maybe Sam will prove everyone wrong, too. But I believe Sam was a seventh-round pick because he’s a seventh-round talent.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Michael Sam: I should have gone in the first three rounds

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 12, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT

Rams defensive end Michael Sam believes he should have been drafted much, much earlier than he was.

Sam, selected late in the seventh round, said NFL teams chickened out from drafting him, although he stopped short of saying that his draft stock dropped because he was the first openly gay prospect in NFL history.

“From last season alone, I should’ve been in the first three rounds. SEC Defensive Player of the Year, All-American,” Sam said, via the Associated Press. “I knew I was going to get picked somewhere. Every team that passed me, I was thinking how I’m going to sack their quarterback.”

Many of the great players in NFL history who were selected in the late rounds of the draft have used that fact as motivation. Former sixth-round pick Tom Brady can still name all of the quarterbacks who were drafted ahead of him. The Rams should be glad that Sam is fired up by a perceived slight.

But Sam is wrong if he thinks being SEC Defensive Player of the Year or an All-American should make him a high draft pick. Those are media awards, and NFL teams couldn’t care less what sportswriters think. For proof of that, Sam needs to look no further than his fellow Associated Press All-American defensive end, Jackson Jeffcoat: Despite a great college career and a Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year award, Jeffcoat went undrafted. NFL teams weren’t discriminating against Jeffcoat when they passed on him, they were simply calculating that he lacks the size and strength to be a great defensive lineman, while simultaneously lacking the speed and burst to be a great linebacker. In that respect, Jeffcoat and Sam are similar players and similar NFL prospects.

Maybe Jeffcoat, who signed as an undrafted free agent with the Seahawks, will prove the teams that passed on him wrong and play like a guy who should have gone in the first three rounds. And maybe Sam will prove everyone wrong, too. But I believe Sam was a seventh-round pick because he’s a seventh-round talent.
I was fine while he was gay, but this faggotry and drama make me want his ass off the NFL asap.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Could be Sam was drafted in the 7th when Jeffcoat wasn't because they felt obligated to have somebody throw a pick at him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was fine while he was gay, but this faggotry and drama make me want his ass off the NFL asap.
Me and booze stated when he made his closet removal appearance that he was setting the stage for a play of both ends against the middle.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Derrick Ward receives death threats after tweets about Michael Sam

Derrick Ward the former Giants Super Bowl running back went off this week on twitter. He didn’t agree with the Michael Sam kiss that struck national television, but now he he is receiving death threats. Here is what he said.

I’m sorry but that Michael Sam is no bueno for doing that on national tv. I’m fine with it being a new day in age but for him to do that on

— Derrick Ward (@derrickward32) May 10, 2014

National tv is disgusting. Gay or not.

Man U got little kids lookin at the draft. I can’t believe ESPN even allowed that to happen.

Gotta love twitter! I’ve never seen so much hate towards another persons comments in my life. I guess the power of words are meaningful

— Derrick Ward (@derrickward32) May 11, 2014

The funny thing is people are calling me this and that on here but if u look back to what I wrote I said what he did shouldn’t had been

Allowed on tv for people to see. No matter if he’s gay or not. I could careless. Shoving cake in your significant others face then deep

The paring your tongue into the other persons mouth is a little over board. But people seen that as oh I’m bashing him because he’s gay. Who

Cares!!!

No need to say dumb stuff on here though. If u don’t like what I say 1.stop following me 2. Stop commenting on what I say. Real simple.

All Im doing is laughing at your stuff and showing my boys how funny you people with no lives get so defensive on certain topics. Lol I dont

Take social medial serious at all like 90% of people on twitter do. You guys keep me entertained with how upset u get lol

But for real though most of u need to read the bible. It’ll explain a lot in that book. #knowledge

And for the last time since u guys don’t know how to read I wasn’t against him kissing his significant other. All I said was he shouldn’t

Had done it the way that he did it. Even if he kissed a girl I woulda said the same thing.

Ward explained in a series of tweets on his Twitter page that he has been getting death threats.

“Gotta love America. Home of the greatest sh*t talkers on earth. The past 24hrs I’ve been accused of being prejudice [and] a bigot. Had a few people say they wanted to kill me and my kids. I was the worst player in the NFL,” he noted.

“They hope I die. And my kids killed. All because I said I didn’t think it was appropriate for someone to shove cake down another person’s face then tongue them down on national TV. Not once saying anything about the person’s sexual preference. But that’s America for you. All I can do is smile and say thank you for seeing things that aren’t there!”

Ward did not seemed worried about the threats, but did say this.

Derrick Ward @derrickward32
I’ll continue to speak my mind because it’s my god given right and supposedly u can do it without being frowned upon here in America.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Doesn't make sense to me.

The whole idea about supposedly being okay about the kiss is supposed to be tolerance.

So how is the Twitter thought police tolerant of freedom of expression and tolerance.

Don't agree? Scorn and death threats.

It is just idiotic over-reaction. I think half the damn people who are outraged are not even truly outraged.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I wasn't watching the draft at the time, so I didn't see the whole Sam being drafted-kiss thing. But if what Ward is saying is true, I agree with him. It wouldn't have been appropriate for a guy to be tongue kissing a woman, either while the cameras were on them. But saying that, I really doubt the backlash from it would have even registered if it had been a woman. But I'd bet if it was a man and woman, the cameras would have immediately cut away. Instead, it was the first openly gay player tongue kissing his boyfriend. KEEP THOSE CAMERAS ROLLING!!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree with him. It was really inappropriate, and I would feel the same way if it was a man and woman.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I wasn't watching the draft at the time, so I didn't see the whole Sam being drafted-kiss thing. But if what Ward is saying is true, I agree with him. It wouldn't have been appropriate for a guy to be tongue kissing a woman, either while the cameras were on them. But saying that, I really doubt the backlash from it would have even registered if it had been a woman. But I'd bet if it was a man and woman, the cameras would have immediately cut away. Instead, it was the first openly gay player tongue kissing his boyfriend. KEEP THOSE CAMERAS ROLLING!!

Top Bottom