McShay: Final 2014 Mock Draft

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can't wait for both the player and the coach to go away. That's why I am fully on the Manziel train now. And I will likely be on the next QB train a year from now.

We need to break this cycle of losing. It's not going to happen until both of those losers are gone.

That little stupid bromance junket the pair of them went on did it in for me. They deserve each other.
So what you're saying is that they are a couple of fuckbois?

Welcome and thank you.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Any player is subject to injury at anytime and Troy' s injuries are his. Players come back from injuries all the time and Romo might do the same.
Might.

I'd just as soon not gamble on "might" with a 34 year old QB's back. He "might" be fine. And if so, he can play for another year or two. But I'd still like to have a contingency plan in place in case he "might" not.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Might.

I'd just as soon not gamble on "might" with a 34 year old QB's back. He "might" be fine. And if so, he can play for another year or two. But I'd still like to have a contingency plan in place in case he "might" not.
I all for getting another QB, I just think it's premature to automatically write off Romo. He could still have three good serviceable years. To me that is ideal for a replacement to be phased in.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I all for getting another QB, I just think it's premature to automatically write off Romo. He could still have three good serviceable years. To me that is ideal for a replacement to be phased in.
I'm not writing Romo off at all. Like I said, if he's healthy and playing well, let him play for another year or two. I'm not against a QB sitting on the bench and learning for a year or two. Especially with how contracts are done now. A first round QB will not automatically destroy your cap any more.

What I want to avoid is the blind clusterfrick we stumbled through post-Aikman. We are not forced to take a QB right now. So we can be a little more choosy with the one we take. Worst case scenario would be Romo's back exploding on him, leaving us with nothing. Then Jerry forcing pick after pick trying to find the next guy. Look no further than teams like the Vikes taking Ponder. Desperation leads to dumb decisions. We already do more than our fair share of head scratchers. I'd rather avoid as many as possible.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
An argument can be made the other way as well. Peyton Manning came back from a serious injury and is having a good career. How old is he.'......?
I didn't say it was impossible that Romo comes back and plays another half decade. I said, it becomes prudent to assume that he won't.

Because most people start sliding dramatically at age 33, 34, 35.

For us, it becomes prudent to start assuming Romo isn't going to last terribly much longer. If he does.... bonus.... we are left in a Favre/Rodgers situation, which we've seen works just fine.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Jesus Fucking Christ...it is ok to draft a QB. It baffles me that some have their heads in the sand and pretend it is not a priority. FuuuuuUUUUUUU

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think we agree. The objection I have against Manzeil being the replacement is he is a two year college prepped player and has limited experience learning the position. If he tries to bring his college game to the pros I have reservations that he can hold up physically. Ala RG 111. If Romo does go down there will be a limited experienced QB that may go the way of Vick, RG 111, etc.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm absolutely down with the idea that if you can get what you believe to be a franchise QB in this draft you do it. I think it's crazy to dismiss the idea or to trade away from the opportunity just because your loser QB and head coach are going to be extremely butthurt if you take one. Obviously if you take a guy and he ends up being a bust that sets the franchise back a good deal, but that's the risk with any player.

Plus, Spagnola has been very strong in his opinion that you absolutely can not take a QB in the first round if you are the Cowboys. I want to see him backpeddle like a MFer if they end up taking Manziel or Bortles in round 1.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The thing is that we have folks pointing back to Romo being his good old self after the surgery...you know, the guy with one playoff win.

I won't cry if he is the started the next 2 years, but we are not getting Manning back, we are getting Tony Romo.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think we agree. The objection I have against Manzeil being the replacement is he is a two year college prepped player and has limited experience learning the position. If he tries to bring his college game to the pros I have reservations that he can hold up physically. Ala RG 111. If Romo does go down there will be a limited experienced QB that may go the way of Vick, RG 111, etc.
WGAS if he was in school for 2 years, he has 3 years of college background with him. He was a redshirt behind Tannehill. You have a hard on for McCarron, 5th year guy, but he sucks. Having the extra years is not necessarily a good thing or bad thing. Newton only really played one year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So this has nothing to do with salary structure or Romo being ok.... you just don't like Manziel.

Got it. Then just say that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
WGAS if he was in school for 2 years, he has 3 years of college background with him. He was a redshirt behind Tannehill. You have a hard on for McCarron, 5th year guy, but he sucks. Having the extra years is not necessarily a good thing or bad thing. Newton only really played one year.
So I prefer Bortles and McCarron over Manziel. Why should that give you heartburn?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So this has nothing to do with salary structure or Romo being ok.... you just don't like Manziel.

Got it. Then just say that.
I have expressed my position on Manzeil for weeks.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am not dead set on Manziel...I'll take Bortles or Bridgewater as well. I just don't want to continue to wait for our next QB. No one on our roster will be the starting QB in 3 years. Being in a bad spot at QB forces you to make picks like Gabbert, Ponder, Manuel, and Weeden.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am not dead set on Manziel...I'll take Bortles or Bridgewater as well. I just don't want to continue to wait for our next QB. No one on our roster will be the starting QB in 3 years. Being in a bad spot at QB forces you to make picks like Gabbert, Ponder, Manuel, and Weeden.
I am not advocating waiting. I have a separate opinion about Romo. He may not be finished because of his injury. He could play another three years. That being said he might not so Dallas needs to go for a qb this draft. If Romo last three years so be it a replacement will be in place and will be better prepared.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well, now that we've got all that cleared up, what say we turn down the lights and open some wine?

:unsure

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So I prefer Bortles and McCarron over Manziel. Why should that give you heartburn?
Because your argument in the last few pages was seemingly that it doesn't make sense for Dallas to draft any first round QB because Romo might play another few years. Your argument was not that Manziel just isn't good enough.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because your argument in the last few pages was seemingly that it doesn't make sense for Dallas to draft any first round QB because Romo might play another few years. Your argument was not that Manziel just isn't good enough.
That has never been my position. I don't want Dallas to go with Manzeil. I had rather have Bottles but that isn't going to happen in all probability so my next choice is McCarron who can possibly be picked up in the third round. I have already explained my position on Romo but once again it is entirely possible that he can play for another three years so I see no point in automatically writing him off.

Top Bottom