McGinn's Draft Series - 2014

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So instead of being proactive, which we all complain about with this FO, you want to wait til it's an absolute need to address the position?

feh.

And im not saying waste a pick on a back that's probably a JAG, use a pick on a guy who can break the game open.
RB is the one position I would say that.

GShock

DCC 4Life
LBs

INSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. C.J. MOSLEY, Alabama (6-2, 234, 4.68, 1) – Defensive leader for a team that went 46-7 and won a pair of national titles. "He's one of those guys that kind of makes a defense, he really does," said one scout. "Extremely smart. Instinctive. Explosive. Fast. All about football. No off the field issues. Never comes out of the game." Started just 29 of 51 games, finishing with 319 tackles (23 for loss), 8½ sacks and eight "big" plays (defined as the total of interceptions, fumbles forced and fumbles recovered). "He's maybe like Lavonte David," another scout said. "He's not as big as Luke Kuechly. He's not Patrick Willis." Returned three of his five picks for TDs. "Excellent in the passing game," a third scout said. "He can match up in zone or man to man. He also can play the run directly at him or run laterally to the sideline. If he gets knocked down it will because of the medical." Has had major elbow, hip and shoulder injuries. "Sometimes his lack of size shows up in his tackling," a fourth scout said. "He lacks tackling bulk. Sometimes he gets outsized by linemen, and sometimes he'll hit 'em and they don't fall down." From Mobile, Ala.

2. RYAN SHAZIER, Ohio State (6-1, 230, 4.38, 1) – Third-year junior and a two-year starter on the weak side. "He is the fastest guy I have scouted at linebacker other than Brian Urlacher," one longtime scout said. "We had him at 4.38 at 235 or 237. Mosley is a hell of a football player but I'll take 4.38 and see if I can work with it. He's a blur. He's faster than Derrick Brooks. He's a bigger, faster Lavonte David. He's a freak when it comes to speed." Posted the best vertical jump (42 inches) of anyone at the combine and led LBs in the broad jump (10-10). Scored 20 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test and bench-pressed 225 pounds 25 times. "His problem is he's a real linear guy," another scout said. "He bulked up for his pro day but he probably played under 220 this year. He's doesn't have a lot of (expletive) to him so when he hits you sometimes his legs go dead." Finished with 315 tackles (44½ for loss), 14 sacks and 10 big plays. Compared by one scout to former Bear WLB Wilber Marshall. "Not very strong," a fourth scout said. "Gets bounced around some. He's got unique speed. Pursuit angles are a little inconsistent. Supposed to be a pretty good kid. Good hands, but not physical. Good feel in the pass game." From Pompano Beach, Fla.

3. CHRIS BORLAND, Wisconsin (5-11½, 247, 4.83, 2) – One of the greatest defensive players in Badgers' history. "I watched practice before I watched any tape when I was there," one scout said. "I saw him and I said, 'Are you kidding me? How does this guy play middle linebacker in the Big Ten?' Then I put the tape on. Does everything. Awesome in coverage. Blitzes well. If he's 6-1 and his arms are longer than a pencil he's a top-10 pick. But middle linebacker is the one position where you can lack a little length." Arms measured a scant 29¼ inches. "It will take (guts) to draft him, but I wouldn't worry about it," another scout said. "This guy is unique. He's like (Luke) Kuechly. His body length is going to get him in a little bit of trouble on wide plays sometimes because he's not the fastest guy in the world. But he always has great leverage on the ball. He knows where the ball's going." Wonderlic of 32. Said a third scout: "The plays he made against Ohio State, when he stones the best running back (Carlos Hyde) in the draft and beats a blocker to get to him to do that...with his first-step quickness to the ball and leverage, I have faith in that kid." Finished with 410 tackles (50 for loss), 17 sacks and a whopping 27 big plays. "He's going to get completely destroyed in there," a fourth scout said. "He's short and has short arms. He plays his (expletive) off but what's his pro physical up side?" From Kettering, Ohio.

4. PRESTON BROWN, Louisville (6-1, 251, 4.81, 3-4) – After the top three there's a massive drop-off to Brown. "Nothing special," said one scout. "They didn't think he was tough enough. At the end of the year one of the coaches said he was. He kind of grew on me. He has good production. He runs well enough. He's a backup." Started in the middle the last two seasons after aligning on the strong side in 2011. "Stout enough," another scout said. "He's like a fifth-round pick or something." More of an old-fashioned MLB with limitations in coverage. Had 301 tackles (21½ for loss) with seven sacks and six big plays. From Cincinnati.

5. TELVIN SMITH, Florida State (6-3, 222, 4.50, 3-4) – Played 54 games but started just 15. "It's a projection (inside)," said one scout. "Unfortunately, he's undersized. Does he have the instincts? Yes. Is he a take-on guy? No. Can he cover a tight end? Yes. You do the best you can." Played the weak side for the Seminoles, finishing with 214 tackles (29 for loss), seven sacks and 10 big plays. "He's a very good lateral player," said a second scout. "Can he make plays 10, 12 yards off the line of scrimmage? I don't know because he was a forward player there. But he is a really good athlete." Called "stiff and straight-line" by a third scout. "I don't know what you do with him," a fourth scout said. "He looks like he's a tiny person. He's a good player, but 215 is kind of tough." From Valdosta, Ga.

6. SHAYNE SKOV, Stanford (6-2½, 243, 5.20, 4-5) – Started for the better part of four years. "Remember how smart those old Penn State linebackers were?" one scout said. "They all played more on brains than talent. That's what this guy might be. He's not real fast but his angles get him to the ball where he absolutely minimizes the gains that a back might make outside. Yet, he rarely gets cut back on. And he's a magnificent blitzer. I'll give him that, boy. In pass cover watch him on his drops. It's almost like he knows where the offense is sending the ball on the snap. You better have better players around him, but he'll be the glue that will hold your defense together." Has a bad knee and might be rejected by some teams. Damaged his draft hopes by running a terrible 40 on April 21. "He's just a try-hard guy," said a second scout. Finished with 355 tackles (40½ for loss), 17 sacks and eight big plays. Wonderlic of 34. Lives in Guadalajara, Mexico.

7. CHRISTIAN KIRKSEY, Iowa (6-2, 234, 4.57, 4-5) – Played out of position in the middle most of his career. Got a shot on the weak side at the Senior Bowl and flourished. "He wasn't strong enough for middle and they put him in position where he'd never make any plays," said one scout. "He's the best of the three Iowa (LBs). He's athletic." Finished with 315 tackles (13½ for loss), 5½ sacks and 16 big plays. "Very good Senior Bowl week," another scout said. "Nowadays everyone is so undersized, anyways. I think he can play inside but he's going to have to have some help. Very athletic and really instinctive. I'm betting on the come with him." From St. Louis.

8. JORDAN ZUMWALT, UCLA (6-4, 232, 4.71, 4-5) – "Overachiever," one scout said. Played in a 3-4 defense the past two seasons, starting 17 games inside and five outside. "He's like crazy," another scout said. "He's that hyper kind of player. Just not very fundamentally sound. He isn't playing within the defense. That's something he needs to work on. He's the see-ball, get-ball type." Finished with 256 tackles (22 for loss), two sacks and nine big plays. "Has a great motor," a third scout said. "Grows on you. Makes plays." From Huntington Beach, Calif.

9. KHAIRI FORTT, California (6-2, 245, 4.73, 4-5) – Compared by one scout to ex-Packer Desmond Bishop, another former inside LB at Cal. "He'd be an interesting guy if you could protect him a little bit because he's not a great take-on," one scout said. "But he's got speed. I don't care what he runs on the clock. He'll run fast on a field." Fourth-year junior with just 10 starts in three seasons. Played hurt much of 2013. Finished with 114 tackles (10 for loss), three sacks and no big plays. "Not a bad player," a third scout said. "He can play over the tight end or play middle backer. Been hurt his whole career. He couldn't even make it through the combine workout without getting hurt (hamstring)." From Stamford, Conn.

10. MAX BULLOUGH, Michigan State (6-3½, 248, 4.75, 5-6) – Three-year starter at MLB with a Wonderlic of 31 and 30 reps on the bench press. "Kind of the team's leader," one scout said. "All intangibles, not as good of a football player. Taller and plays tall. Average speed. But he lines everybody up and gets everybody under control." His grandfather Hank was the Packers' defensive coordinator from 1988-'91 after playing 20 games at guard for them in the late 1950s. "His reputation and his name will help him a lot so he'll probably get drafted (late)," a second scout said. "I'd take him as a free agent because he's smart and plays hard." Added a third scout: "Try-hard overachiever. Tough kid. Typical Big Ten guy." From Traverse City, Mich.

OTHERS: Andrew Jackson, Western Kentucky; Avery Williamson, Kentucky; Jordan Tripp, Montana; Lamin Barrow, Louisiana State; Jeremiah George, Iowa State; Yawin Smallwood, Connecticut; James Morris, Iowa; Anthony Hitchens, Iowa; Glenn Carson, Penn State; Jonathan Brown, Illinois; Brock Coyle, Montana.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. KHALIL MACK, Buffalo (6-2½, 252, 4.57, 1) – Four-year starter at OLB in a 3-4 defense. "Buffalo was the only team that recruited him," said one scout. "Love that kid. (Expletive), yeah, he's better than (Anthony) Barr. He can do whatever he wants." Tremendous athlete (40-inch vertical jump). "He can do anything," another scout said. "He's the best defensive player I've ever evaluated. In watching him in the MAC (Mid-American Conference), he makes it look like he's playing against eighth-graders." Registered nine tackles and 2½ sacks Aug. 31 at Ohio State, often beating LT Jack Mewhort. "But he played damn good against Ohio State and pretty average against the rest of those (expletive) teams that they played against," a third scout said. "He didn't dominate his competition. He tests out, tough, strong. But it's going to take him awhile." Although his Wonderlic scores of 13 and 17 were low, two scouts said they detected no hesitation in his play. "Is he truly a pass rusher?" a fourth scout said. "All I see him do is bull rush. Can he bull rush big offensive lineman in the NFL?" Finished with 327 tackles (75 for loss, tying Jason Babin's NCAA record), 28½ sacks and 23 big plays, including a record 16 forced fumbles. From Fort Pierce, Fla.

2. ANTHONY BARR, UCLA (6-4½, 251, 4.46, 1) – Initially followed in the footsteps of his father, Tony, a Notre Dame RB who was drafted by the Eagles in the fourth round in '92. Played sparingly as a RB and TE for two years before moving to ROLB in a 3-4 for 2012-'13. "He has an extremely high up side," one scout said. "Talented pass rusher. Slippery. Needs to get better at the point against the run but has great range and is good in coverage." Finished with 151 tackles (40½ for loss), 23½ sacks and 13 big plays. "Is he just a (3-4) outside linebacker?" a second scout said. "Or is he Dave Robinson in a 4-3, tall and rangy? He doesn't play to his size at all. He ought to be kicking their (expletive) and making 'em like it, you know? I hate to say it but UCLA has the reputation for having better athletes than football players." Ran a fantastic 40 at pro day. "He's a poor man's poor man's DeMarcus Ware," a third scout said. "UCLA guys used to worry me but (Jim) Mora has changed the culture there. This kid hasn't had much time on defense." From San Pedro, Calif. Wonderlic of 28. Added another scout: "He has more ability than Clay (Matthews). Doesn't always play hard. You wonder about his grit."

3. DEMARCUS LAWRENCE, Boise State (6-3, 250, 4.72, 1-2) – Redshirted one year and played another in junior college, started 23 games in 2012-'13 at Boise and declared a year early. "Down defensive end there," one scout said. "Pass rusher. Kind of a rangy guy. Got length, some rush skill and pretty solid production. He's had a few off-the-field issues. You hoped he would run much better." Finished with 120 tackles (34 for loss), 20 sacks and 10 big plays. Garnered 12 sacks in his JUCO season. "I like him as an outside backer," said another scout. "Problem is he's been suspended three times." Wonderlic of 20. "He's a little guy who is quick but not strong," a third scout said. "I don't know what the heck you're going to do with him. He didn't play linebacker there. He strictly rushed the passer. He's not physical. He was extremely disappointing. In fact, the entire Boise State team this year was disappointing." From Aiken, S.C.

4. KYLE VAN NOY, Brigham Young (6-3, 245, 4.66, 2) – Three-year starter. "He's silky smooth," one scout said. "He's not a balls to the wall guy all the time. It's not that he dogs it. He's just so fluid. He's not a grinder, knock the snot out of you (player). He's just a good football player. He can rush and he can drop." Finished with 226 tackles (62 for loss), 26 sacks and 22 big plays. "He is jack of all, master of none," a second scout said. "Very sound player. Got an NFL body. Lacks a little physicality." Wonderlic scores of 13 and 16. "Extremely instinctive," a third scout said. "Good pass-rush ability. Best player on that team by far. Could be a 'will' or a 'sam.'" From Reno, Nev. Will try to overcome short arms (315/8) in role as a pass rusher. "I don't like him," a fourth scout said. "Big guy that plays soft. Just not really a great athlete."

5. JEREMIAH ATTAOCHU, Georgia Tech (6-3½, 250, 4.59, 2) – Played three seasons as an OLB in a 3-4 under coordinator Al Groh and then at DE in a 4-3 as a senior. "He's whatever you want him to be," one scout said. "He reminds me a lot of (ex-Bear) Mark Anderson. He can get on an edge and switch a gear on you that you don't think he has. I don't think he's a guy that can drop much. He may be able to buzz the flat or swing with a back on a flare. He's naturally more of a 3-4 outside guy. Is he a top-tier guy from suddenness, speed, length? Probably not. But he comes in and competes right away. He has played for Al Groh so the verbiage will be second nature for him." Finished with 196 tackles (43½ for loss), a school-record 31½ sacks and seven "big" plays. "The knock on him is just innate feel for the game," another scout said. "But he's got the body type, the burst, the want-to." From Washington, D.C. "Best thing he does is come off the edge, but he's really stiff in space," said a third scout. "Played linebacker in the Senior Bowl, and I thought he struggled with his movement and instincts all week."

6. MARCUS SMITH, Louisville (6-3½, 251, 4.68, 2) – Was a high school QB in Columbus, Ga., but was shifted to defense almost immediately. Started 31 games at DE, finishing with 86 tackles (32½ for loss), 24 sacks and 11 big plays. "He will be drafted higher than you think because he has some pass-rush potential," one scout said. "Might be a pretty good investment. His best production came when he had his hand in the dirt and rushed. I don't see him as an immediate starter. He doesn't have the lower-body build to anchor the run. It will take a year to teach him to play." Played standing up about 70% of the snaps as a senior. "Kind of a hard fit for a 4-3," said another scout. "He's got a knack for rushing. Some of it's inside. He rushes against backs. He's more athletic than Attaochu."

7. CHRISTIAN JONES, Florida State (6-3, 239, 4.74, 3) – Said one scout: "No instincts. Looks the part. No instincts." Started 37 games outside and just two in the middle, but several teams are taking a hard look at him inside. "If you look at him you'd say he'd be a great inside backer," a second scout said. "You could do it but you're just not going to get the most out of his ability. Now if you play him as an outside 3-4 guy that rushes a lot, he'd be much more natural. Florida State moved him to a down DE spot and I thought their defense started to play much better." Finished with 225 tackles (24 for loss), eight sacks and seven big plays. "He's always been a guy that sits behind that three-technique (DT) and just runs and chases and hits," said a third scout. "Athletically, he could play inside, but it would take some time for him." Willie, his father, was drafted in the second round by the Raiders in 1979 and had 10 sacks in '81. From Winter Park, Fla.

8. ADRIAN HUBBARD, Alabama (6-6, 257, 4.67, 3-4) – Fourth-year junior with 26 starts. "Got all the measurables," one scout said. "Just stands and watches. He certainly looks the part, but he doesn't play the part. They tried to drop him some at the Senior Bowl and the guy struggled. Somebody will take him because he has a great frame and good growth potential. I think he'll play down." Finished with 83 tackles (18 for loss), 10 sacks and three big plays. "He stinks," another scout said. "There's nothing to him. Low motor. No pass rush. Not very strong. Not explosive." From Lawrenceville, Ga. "Great basketball player in high school," a third scout said. "Very outspoken type kid. He's going to speak up and challenge you."

9. PRINCE SHEMBO, Notre Dame (6-1½, 254, 4.68, 3-4) – Three-year starter at OLB in a 3-4. "Very disciplined in how they played him," said one scout. "He wasn't turned loose. He can rush the passer." Posted 145 tackles (24½ for loss), 19½ sacks and three big plays. "He's only 6-1 and doesn't make many plays," said another scout. "Questionable instincts. He can run. Can't play off the ball. I don't know what you do with him. He's got to be a 3-4 outside guy." Was removed from one's team board after he acknowledged at the combine that he was the player linked to an alleged sexual assault of a student who committed suicide 10 days later. He was not charged. "You're not ever going to get an explanation," said a third scout. "You've got to either trust the kid or dismiss him altogether. He's a good football player." From Charlotte, N.C. Wonderlic of 19.

10. KEVIN PIERRE-LOUIS, Boston College (6-0½, 234, 4.50, 4) – Weak-side starter from 2010-'12, strong-side starter in '13. "He will be a great nickel linebacker," one scout said. "The guy can really run. He's tough. Good coverage player. If you can tolerate his size, he has the athletic ability and coverage skills to make up for it." Wonderlic of 24. Highly emotional person. From Norwalk, Conn. "He's a run and chase guy," another scout said. "Good player, just small at the point of attack. Makes plays all over." Posted 360 tackles (23 for loss), eight sacks and four big plays.

OTHERS: Carl Bradford, Arizona State; James Gayle, Virginia Tech; Howard Jones, Shepherd; Devon Kennard, Southern California; Marquis Flowers, Arizona; Trevor Reilly, Utah; Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas; Derrell Johnson, East Carolina; Jonathan Newsome, Ball State; Michael Sam, Missouri; Tyler Starr, South Dakota.

D

Deuce

6. MARCUS SMITH, Louisville (6-3½, 251, 4.68, 2) – Was a high school QB in Columbus, Ga., but was shifted to defense almost immediately. Started 31 games at DE, finishing with 86 tackles (32½ for loss), 24 sacks and 11 big plays. "He will be drafted higher than you think because he has some pass-rush potential," one scout said. "Might be a pretty good investment. His best production came when he had his hand in the dirt and rushed. I don't see him as an immediate starter. He doesn't have the lower-body build to anchor the run. It will take a year to teach him to play." Played standing up about 70% of the snaps as a senior. "Kind of a hard fit for a 4-3," said another scout. "He's got a knack for rushing. Some of it's inside. He rushes against backs. He's more athletic than Attaochu."
Pet cat. I'd keep him at DE and he could be a 3rd down rusher initially til he's ready to compete for a starting job. He could probably rotate with Crawford.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pet cat. I'd keep him at DE and he could be a 3rd down rusher initially til he's ready to compete for a starting job. He could probably rotate with Crawford.
I like him more than the others likely in the same tier because he is quick off the ball. He might be a guy that ends up going higher than projected simply because the pass rushers are so scarce in this draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bob McGinn’s Draft Series: Defensive linemen

Boom-or-bust backdrop complicates defensive line picks

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

May 5, 2014

Green Bay — Last season, Kevin Williams completed his 11th and probably final season with the Minnesota Vikings.

Over on the University of Minnesota campus just across the Mississippi River, Ra'Shede Hageman wrapped up his fifth year for the Golden Gophers.

Williams epitomizes what every National Football League team hopes for when it spends a first-round draft choice on a defensive tackle with talent and size.

Hageman is the type of prospect that has made drafting defensive tackles an eternal crapshoot.

If only they all could be like Williams. The eighth overall selection in 2003 out of Oklahoma State, he made first-team all-pro five times, rang up 60 sacks and missed only five of 176 regular-season games.

Williams, 6 feet 5 inches and 304 pounds (40-yard dash time of 4.85 seconds), was a complete player who also did more than his fair share for the Vikings' impenetrable run defenses from 2006-'09.

In that same draft, the New York Giants used the 25th pick on another massive interior player, William Joseph (6-5, 308, 5.19). He was a bust.

Since the turn of the century, towering defensive tackles Richard Seymour (6-5½, 295, 4.94), Marcus Stroud (6-5½, 321, 5.12) and John Henderson (6-7, 306, 5.01) went from the first round to have success somewhat comparable to Williams.

Then there's the litany of first-round mistakes just like Joseph that includes Justin Harrell (6-4½, 310, 5.06), Jamaal Anderson (6-5½, 286, 4.80) and Kentwan Balmer (6-4½, 307, 5.25).

Unlike other positions in this draft, defensive line appears to be a vast wasteland in the eyes of many scouts. Words like awful and terrible have been used to describe what's there.

"There's only two five-techniques that I like and there aren't any noses," said a personnel man for a 3-4 team. "Some of these guys are going to get drafted too damn high because there's nobody available."

That probably includes Hageman (6-6, 311, 4.99), who surely won't last beyond pick 40 if he does make it out of the first round.

He has too much potential. Teams have always gambled on greatness at defensive tackle. They're just so hard to find.

"He's a boom or bust," said one personnel director. "He's everything you want but not a very good player."

Adopted at age 7 after a difficult childhood, Hageman grew up in the Twin Cities. At Washburn High School, he played tight end and led the Millers to a state basketball championship.

Converted to defense as a redshirt freshman in 2009, Hageman was on absolutely no NFL radar screen for three seasons.

On the field, he didn't start a single game in 2010 or '11. Off the field, he served a four-game suspension in 2010 for academic failures and was arrested for disorderly conduct stemming from a bar fight.

"This kid kind of came out of nowhere," an AFC executive said.

Hageman became the starting nose tackle in 2012 and played all 26 games over the past two seasons. He had six sacks as a junior and, despite being limited to two sacks in 2013, was voted the Gophers' most valuable player.

Williams ran faster than Hageman but in athletic and strength tests the edge went to Hageman: a 35½-inch vertical jump to 30, a 9-6 broad jump to 9-4 and 32 bench-press reps compared to 23.

"The guy's unique, big and long," an AFC scout said. "He has an unusual ability of batting balls down (eight in '13). When he doesn't want to be shoved around they don't shove him around."

On the other hand, scouts were perplexed why Hageman kept taking himself out of games and didn't show more fight.

"For the one or two plays a game he plays good, he's a first-rounder," another scout said. "For the other 20 when he doesn't do anything, he's a free agent.

"He's raw. He plays high. He plays lazy. He's out of the game more than he's in the game.

"It all depends how you value the kid."

A panel of 21 scouts with national orientation made it clear how they value South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney in a Journal Sentinel pool asking who was the best player in the draft.

Clowney received 14 votes, far ahead of Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack, Auburn tackle Greg Robinson and Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, each of whom got two votes, and Texas A&M tackle Jake Matthews, who had one.

"He's a once-in-a-decade type pure talent," said Thomas Dimitroff, general manager of the Atlanta Falcons. "A lot of us, when we first started hearing that he was one of the best to come along in a long time or ever, were very skeptical. But then when you start watching him you're really back on your heels as far as how much pure talent he does possess."

With the league almost equally divided (17 teams use the 3-4 for a base defense, 15 teams use the 4-3), the Journal Sentinel asked scouts to rank players based on the scheme their team employs. There were 11 scouts representing 3-4 teams and eight from 4-3 teams.

In each poll, scouts were asked to rank their top five players, with five points assigned to first place and so forth. No limits were placed on the players that the scouts could choose from other than players couldn't have been voted for in the linebacker polls that appeared Monday.

Here were the poll results:

Defensive end in a 3-4: Ra'Shede Hageman, 48 points (five firsts); Stephon Tuitt, 45 (five firsts); Kony Ealy, 17 (one first); Brent Urban, 15; Ed Stinson, 13; Kareem Martin, 9; Aaron Donald, Kareem Martin and Jeoffrey Pagan, four; Ego Ferguson, three; Scott Crichton, two; and DaQuan Jones, one.

Nose tackle in a 3-4: Louis Nix, 43 (five firsts); Timmy Jernigan, 32 (four firsts); DaQuan Jones, 26; Ego Ferguson, 15; Aaron Donald, 14 (two firsts); Justin Ellis, 12; Shamar Stephen, eight; Daniel McCullers, seven; Mike Pennel, three; Kelcy Quarles, two; and Beau Allen, Dominique Easley and Zach Kerr, one.

Defensive end in a 4-3: Jadeveon Clowney, 40 (eight firsts, unanimous); Kony Ealy, 20; Dee Ford, 12; Scott Crichton, 11; Trent Murphy, nine; Will Clarke, eight; Demarcus Lawrence and Kareem Martin, five; Anthony Barr, four; Taylor Hart and Marcus Smith, two; and Aaron Lynch and Stephon Tuitt, one.

Defensive tackle in a 4-3: Aaron Donald, 29 (four firsts); Timmy Jernigan, 25 (one first); Louis Nix, 20 (one first); Ra'Shede Hageman, 15 (one first); Stephon Tuitt, 14; Dominique Easley, nine (one first); Jay Bromley, three; Brent Urban, two; Ego Ferguson, Ed Stinson and Will Sutton, one.

THE SKINNY

UNSUNG HERO

Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton: Played much better as a junior than he did as a senior. Redeemed himself by showing he belonged at the Senior Bowl. Undersized (6-2, 304) three-year starter with 20½ sacks and seven blocked kicks. Fits one-gap, penetrating defenses only.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Cassius Marsh, DE-OLB, UCLA: Described by one scout as "one of the most bizarre characters that ever walked down the pike." Played DE in a 3-4 the past two seasons but lost weight this spring and now projects as an OLB for some teams. Quick off the ball. Will sell out his body at a moment's notice.

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Bob Kuberski, DT, Navy: Seventh-round draft choice in 1993. Fulfilled two-year military commitment before making the team in '95. Played 21 games from 1995-'98, registering two sacks. Inactive for 31st Super Bowl before spelling Gilbert Brown in 32nd Super Bowl. Had brief stints with New England and Denver before calling it a career.

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFL personnel man: "Alabama guys are getting killed because they wear out. Remember Florida State when Bobby (Bowden) was there? Their expiration date was used up. It's getting to be a little bit the way people think about Alabama now."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL Draft prospects: Defensive Linemen

Associated Press
May 5, 2014

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top defensive linemen in the draft this week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

DEFENSIVE ENDS

1. JADEVEON CLOWNEY, South Carolina (6-5½, 266, 4.52, 1) — Third-year junior. "He's one of those guys that comes out every four, five years," said one scout. "Freak. He needs to get a little stronger and needs technique, but as far as ability he's going to be hard to stop. He's bigger than Clay (Matthews). He can be 280 easily. And he's a lot more athletic. He doesn't corner like (Jevon) Kearse did. He's like a young Julius Peppers." Sixth in Heisman Trophy voting in 2012 after a 13-sack season. Just three sacks in '13. "He's what (Robert) Quinn was last year to St. Louis or sort of what Matthews is for Green Bay," another scout said. "He's a special attention guy coming off the corner that's got so much twitch it just scares you." Two-year starter with 130 tackles (47 for loss) and 24 sacks. "He's as talented as any defensive end I've ever seen, but I can't measure his heart," a longtime scout said. "He could be the best defensive player in pro football, and I don't think it would take much of an effort. The only negative I have is he didn't improve that much since he was a freshman. But did you see the last series against Wisconsin when that bowl game was on the line? He tipped like two passes and tackled a guy for a loss. In the Michigan bowl game the year before he made those two huge plays when the game was on the line. That's what the guy can do." Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "Comes across OK," said one scout. "Kind of soft-spoken. I think he just plays." From Rock Hill, S.C. "I think his physical talent is being overblown," said another scout. "At what point of his life has he had to push himself? Now you're going to give him this money and say, 'Do something you've never done in your life before ... against guys you just can't run over?' I would not put my job on the line for that guy. Who has a profile like that that's been successful in the NFL?"

2. STEPHON TUITT, Notre Dame (6-5½, 304, 5.01, 1-2) — Compared by one scout to DE Tyson Jackson, the No. 3 pick in 2009. "Same guy," one scout said. "That's all he is. Big dude. Zero pass rush." Third-year junior with 127 tackles (25 for loss) and 21½ sacks. "Really talented guy," another scout said. "Athletic for a big man. Can play square and hold the point. He can do everything you want from a DT. Effort is the key with him. There's times where he just kind of wallows around. The kid's a good kid. He's young (turns 21 on May 23). Maybe he hasn't figured it out yet." Led DEs in the bench press with 31 reps. Wonderlic of 23. "I don't think he played real well this year," a third scout said. "He gained so much weight and had a bad year. He's a very stiff guy. Very strong. He's not elite." From Monroe, Ga.

3. KONY EALY, Missouri (6-4, 265, 4.69, 1-2) — Fourth-year junior with 25 starts in 38 games at DE. "I think he could grow into a five-technique," said one scout. "I see him as a rush guy like Paul Kruger was in Baltimore. Where 80, 90% of the time he's rushing. He could do that and eventually grow into a D-end." The 4-3 teams view him as a base end. "I question his fire," another scout said. "If you got the right kind of coaching and put a boot into him, he might be a very good player. Whenever something doesn't work he just shuts her down. He's just kind of out of control. He gets washed out, then he'll make a big-time play." Finished with 93 tackles (27½ for loss) and 14 sacks. Wonderlic of 10. "He thinks he's already an Aldon Smith-type player," a third scout said. "Classic con man. I don't trust this kid. He will be just a big pain in the (expletive). He's one of those 'let somebody else draft him' guys." From New Madrid, Mo. Added a fourth scout: "There's no outstanding traits about him other than he gives you some versatility in a bad (defensive-line) draft. He's a mess. Somebody's going to draft him because they need a defensive end and overdraft him."

4. DEE FORD, Auburn (6-2, 248, 4.61, 2) — His game revolves almost solely on anticipating the snap. "That's how he gets everything," one scout said. "He just jumps, jumps, jumps. Just a little guy that's not a special pass rusher. He's got to be a 3-4 guy, but I don't think he's that kind of an athlete." Started 20 of 52 games at DE, finishing with 93 tackles (27½ for loss) and 20½ sacks. "Kind of a one-trick pony guy," a second scout said. "Just an outside rusher with limited moves at this point. He's so undersized, he's not really a factor against the run. If he doesn't win with quickness and speed right off the bat he doesn't have the strength, bulk or length to hold the point, anchor and rip off blocks." From Odenville, Ala. "He's relentless," a third scout said. "Little tight. You can play down with smaller guys. Depends how you use him."

5. KAREEM MARTIN, North Carolina (6-6, 271, 4.72, 2) — Three-year starter. "He's a lanky, very strong end," one scout said. "More smoothness and finesse than explosive or quick twitch. Very smart (Wonderlic of 31) and aware. Probably will evolve into being a base end. He's got the measurables to be a speed guy." Longest arms (35 inches) at the position. "Developmental, long-armed guy," a second scout said. "If you take him, you're strictly projecting the fact his frame is what's going to make him a good player. Because there's not a lot of good tape on him at five-technique." Had 178 tackles (45½ for loss) and 19½ sacks. "He doesn't play with good leverage against the run on a consistent basis," a third scout said. From Roanoke Rapids, N.C.

6. SCOTT CRICHTON, Oregon State (6-3, 271, 4.84, 2-3) — Fourth-year junior and one of only five Beavers underclassmen ever to declare early. "I don't think you miss with him," one scout said. "He goes 100 miles an hour all the time. He's more than just a run-around chase guy. He's tough." Started at DE in college and probably is best suited to play LE in a 4-3. "He keeps his head down and plays under people's pads," one scout said. "This Crichton kid is going to be a terrific player." Finished with 165 tackles (51 for loss) and 22½ sacks. "He will need to convert his mentality to more of an attack mode and less reading and reacting," a third scout said. "He's a base end or a three-technique. He was restricted by the scheme he played in." From Tacoma, Wash.

7. ED STINSON, Alabama (6-3½, 288, 5.0, 3) — Two-year starter at DE. "He can play the point and he moves well enough," said one scout. "He's kind of short as a five-technique. He'd be better in a 4-3." Finished with 105 tackles (15½ for loss) and 5½ sacks. "He's a bit underrated," a second scout said. "There is some concern about his injury (groin) because he hasn't been able to do much. He can be a solid end." One team removed him from consideration because of the groin injury that forced him out of the Senior Bowl and combine and hindered him last season. "If he was playing at McNeese or some place like that, people wouldn't even be paying attention to him," a third scout said. "I don't think he can stop the run. He just stands and watches." From Homestead, Fla.

8. BRENT URBAN, Virginia (6-6½, 296, 4.9, 3) — Two-year starter. "He is the blueprint of a 3-4 end physically," one scout said. "Very strong." Junior hockey player from outside Toronto. "He got too big and had to go to football," said a second scout. "He is a poor man's J.J. Watt. They look the same. They play the same. Everything about Urban is just lesser than what J.J. had." Finished with 75 tackles (16½ for loss) and three sacks. His injury-punctuated off-season has worried some teams. "He's a power guy," a third scout said. "Size and length (34¼ arms). He can push the pocket but doesn't have a lot of twitch to get an edge. Lot of batted balls. Plays hard. He's an ideal 3-4 guy." Wonderlic of 27.

9. WILL CLARKE, West Virginia (6-6, 273, 4.75, 3) — Some teams feel he can gain the additional 15 to 20 pounds necessary to be a 3-4 DE. "That might be the best thing for him," one scout said. "If he got to the right place with the right coach he could be better. He flashes athleticism, awareness, bent-knee posture. You see him shouldering blocks. He's got the capability of getting the lockout (with his arms), but he just doesn't do it much. His best rush is power. He lacks breathtaking speed." Finished with 110 tackles (28½ for loss) and 9½ sacks. "He looks like he's a million miles away," a third scout said. "He doesn't use his hands very well. Nothing he can do to win, really." From Pittsburgh, where he played TE as a prep.

10. TRENT MURPHY, Stanford (6-5½, 255, 4.85, 3) — Increased his sack and tackle for loss numbers each of his four years (three-year starter). "Just a try-hard guy from Stanford," one scout said. "He'll end up making a team and hanging around. He's a lesser Kyle Vanden Bosch. You don't want to like the guy but he ends up making plays. Not athletic or talented enough." Biggest hands at the combine (111/8). Wonderlic of 28. "He's just a guy that has kind of a knack," another scout said. "He's long and rangy. He's got to have some strength development if he's going to play full-time defensive end (in a 4-3)." Generally played OLB in a 3-4. Amassed 160 tackles (52½ for loss) and 32½ sacks. "Little bit of an enigma for me," a third scout said. "He's got all that stat production but when you watch him he's not really tough or strong (just 19 reps on the bench). I don't know where to play him. He's not really a true edge guy." From Phoenix, where he threw the discus 192-7 as a prep.

OTHERS: Chris Smith, Arkansas; Cassius Marsh, UCLA; Jeoffrey Pagan, Alabama; Taylor Hart, Oregon; Larry Webster, Bloomsburg; Aaron Lynch, South Florida; Zach Moore, Concordia (Minn.); Eathyn Manumaleuna, Brigham Young; Ethan Westbrooks, West Texas A&M; Ben Gardner, Stanford; Josh Mauro, Stanford; Ronald Powell, Florida.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

1. AARON DONALD, Pittsburgh (6-1, 286, 4.66, 1) — Recorded a historic 40 time for a three-technique and dominated the Senior Bowl. "You could compare him to (John) Randle or the Notre Dame guy that played in San Francisco (Bryant Young) and was really good," one scout said. "There's no bad tape on this guy. You want to know how to play a double-team? Watch this guy. Want to know how to play an angle block? Watch this guy. He's low and has some strength (DT-leading 35 reps on the bench). Tommie Harris never made any plays in college." Started 30 of 51 games, finishing with 181 tackles (66 for loss) and 29½ sacks. "Believe me, I hate small front-seven players," another scout said. "But this guy is a small guy that doesn't play small. Even against Miami, which has enormous O-linemen, they never kicked his (expletive) or drove him out of the hole. His initial quickness is just unbelievable. Every film they game-planned against him and the guy was still productive. He blew out the combine." Scored 7 on first attempt at Wonderlic, then 25 on the second. One scout said he split the difference for record-keeping. "His speed is rare, and I can't stand him," a third scout said. "A 6-foot, 280-pound DT ... who's he going to beat in our league? I think the media has created this guy. Listen. He makes some plays, but our game is not built for him. I like him as a college player, but I don't see him on our team making a difference." From Pittsburgh.

2. RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN, Minnesota (6-6, 311, 4.99, 1-2) — Arrived as a 235-pound TE in 2009. "Physically, he's got tools," one scout said. "He's one of those guys, you've got to see what's underneath the grill." Scored 13 on the Wonderlic. "Some people are smarter than their score," said another scout. "In his case, I think his score matches up pretty well to what you see on tape. Those guys on that line at Minnesota played hard. Except him, he's kind of fooling around. He had two sacks the whole year and he's probably the most talented physical specimen in the Big Ten at the position. He has no feel on the pass rush. He just throttles it down whenever he gets stymied. If things don't go he just stops. You've got your hands full coaching him. I just don't think mentally it's there." Started his final two of four seasons, finishing with 91 tackles (24 for loss) and 10 sacks. "You've got to like him because of the ability," a third scout said. "But he just wallows around sometimes. He gets knocked on his back. Takes himself out of games. But a big, giant guy. When he goes he hits heavy and shows a lot of athletic ability." Born in Lansing, Mich., but grew up in Minneapolis.

3. LOUIS NIX, Notre Dame (6-2½, 331, 5.35, 1-2) — Fourth-year junior. "High risk, high reward," one scout said. "He's a 3-4 nose. Very stout. He has power rush. He's got a personality. Not a distraction. It's just staying on him to work and be conscientious of his diet. I'd take Raji over him. B.J. is just more reliable." One of 13 siblings from Jacksonville, Fla. "He's the purest of all nose tackles," a second scout said. "He's consistent but he's got a little Notre Dame (expletive) to him." Loquacious, loves interviews. "He calls himself 'Irish Chocolate,'" said a third scout. "He's more like that kid Baltimore took (Terrence Cody)." Finished with 123 tackles (14 for loss) and 2½ sacks. "Whatever he weighed at the combine (331), he's going to be 350," a fourth scout said. Long arms (33). Wonderlic of 23. "He can be better than Raji," a fifth scout said. "A lot of people will say, 'Well, he's not into football that much.' But where do you find guys that can do that? This year against Oklahoma the center (Gabe Ikard) kind of tied him up. That bothered me. But look at it this way. Notre Dame's linebackers didn't even go to the combine. That's how bad they were."

4. TIMMY JERNIGAN, Florida State (6-1½, 302, 5.03, 1-2) — Third-year junior. "For his size he's exceptionally strong," one scout said. "He's the man-child in the weight program there. You see that power on tape. He does get swallowed up. His effectiveness as a nose can get nullified. He's going to have to be a three-technique. I still think he's got enough body quickness and tremendous raw power. Power is his main asset. He's not a true nose unless you're tilting him." Started just one season, finishing with 139 tackles (25 for loss) and 8½ tackles. "Just a try-hard effort guy," another scout said. "He's not stout. He's just consistent." From Lake City, Fla. "He starts and is a good player," a third scout said. "Like him, don't love him. He'll fade on you. You won't see him sometimes. He has really good three-technique quickness but not first-round three-technique quickness. He has some strength, but he'll get swallowed up by some big people." Wonderlic of 20.

5. DaQUAN JONES, Penn State (6-4, 323, 5.38, 2-3) — Voted MVP of the 2013 Nittany Lions by teammates. "More of a space-eater," one scout said. "He's a good kid. Plays hard. He could get overdrafted because he's big and strong and those guys go higher than they should sometimes. If you want a guy to eat the blocks up he'll do it. Just don't think he's a pass rusher." Started two of four seasons, finishing with 92 tackles (15½ for loss) and 4½ sacks. Played three-technique but some teams project him to one- or five-technique. "I didn't see him as a nose," another scout said. "Maybe I want too big, the (Casey) Hampton or B.J. Raji or (Vince) Wilfork. But he can take two blocks." From Johnson City, N.Y.

6. DOMINIQUE EASLEY, Florida (6-1½, 288, 5.0, 2-3) — Blew out his left ACL late in 2011 and his right ACL last season in practice after three games. "The knees are OK with us," one scout said. "That's what will make him fall to the second round or maybe early third." Penetrating style of DT best suited for 4-3 teams. "He's as good as (Aaron) Donald," another scout said. "Really a good player." Started 26 of 32 games, finishing with 72 tackles (18 for loss) and 5½ sacks. "Plays hard," a third scout said. "When he hits it right, he's disruptive. But he's disruptive both ways. He'll get knocked out of the hole. He'll get gashed. Hurt all the time. He has five career sacks. We've got people here who love him." From Staten Island, N.Y. Added another scout: "Even big, strong guys have trouble with him because he's in their pads so fast. He can create inversion. That's how he survives. Big guys will wash him. He gets swallowed."

7. EGO FERGUSON, Louisiana State (6-3, 308, 5.13, 2-3) — Started one season at DT in a 4-3 before departing as a fourth-year junior. "He's not a pass rusher, but he's a very strong, physical guy that works hard," said one scout. "Really wants to be good. Impressive person. Good family." Posted 85 tackles (five for loss) and one sack. "He's overrated," a second scout said. "In a year or two he could get to be a starter. He didn't make enough plays. Because he was at LSU and wore that uniform, his (reputation) was a little bit that." From Mims, Fla.

8. SHAMAR STEPHEN, Connecticut (6-5, 320, 5.24, 3-4) — Three-year starter. "UConn had a terrible season, but this guy played really well," one scout said. "He's the reason (Yawin) Smallwood got a lot of tackles. He's a big space-eater run player. Not a pass rusher. They're getting beat by 40 points and this kid was still playing his (expletive) off. He's a little limited athletically." Finished with 130 tackles (17 for loss) and five sacks. "He's a big, strong guy when he wants to be," said another scout. "No help on the rush. Doesn't go hard very often. On the ground too much." From Brookville, N.Y.

9. DANIEL McCULLERS, Tennessee (6-7, 350, 5.32, 4) — Weighed about four bills in junior college. "He can't move — that's the problem," said one scout. "But all he's got to do is fall down and he creates a pile. I wouldn't mess with him but somebody will." Started in a 3-4 in 2012 and in a 4-3 in '13. "His arms (365/8) are as long as I've seen and hands are 11," a second scout said. "He's so big and so strong." Finished with 72 tackles (10 for loss) and 1½ sacks. "Dog, lazy, doesn't love football," a third scout said. "I wouldn't touch him." Scored 11 and then 17 on the Wonderlic. "He's not going to have any trouble picking up a system," said a fourth scout. "Raised by his grandparents. Good kid. He just hasn't played consistently." From Raleigh, N.C.

10. WILL SUTTON, Arizona State (6-0½, 300, 5.35, 4) — Two-time Pac-12 defensive player of the year even though he had 13 sacks in 2012 and then merely four in '13. "He's this round-bellied, short-legged, short-armed fat guy who reminded me of Jimmie Jones at Dallas," one scout said. "There's so much not to like about him. Then all of a sudden he's making plays. He'll have trouble with power at the NFL level." Was a disruptive force at about 275 as a junior before deciding to add about 40 pounds for last season. "He lost everything he had," another scout said. "He's still short but now he doesn't have the quickness and burst. Somebody will try to cut the weight on him to see if he can get that back." Finished with 161 tackles (45½ for loss) and 20½ sacks. Father, Mickey, played in three games at CB and returned five punts for the '89 Packers. From Corona, Calif.

OTHERS: Justin Ellis, Louisiana Tech; Anthony Johnson, Louisiana State; Caraun Reid, Princeton; Jay Bromley, Syracuse; Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina; Deandre Coleman, California; Khyri Thornton, Southern Mississippi; Tenny Palepoi, Utah; Beau Allen, Wisconsin; Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State; Bruce Gaston, Purdue; Mike Pennel, Colorado State-Pueblo; Zach Kerr, Delaware.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
As boozeman has said, you are not likely to get your RE out of this draft, at least not early in the draft, and at least not as an immediate starter.

Taking offense out of the equation for a minute, you either go DT at at 16, or you roll the dice on Barr and let him play a LB/DE hybrid position until he develops into a dominant player at one spot or the other. Then get Crichton as your LE for the long term in the 2nd round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As boozeman has said, you are not likely to get your RE out of this draft, at least not early in the draft, and at least not as an immediate starter.

Taking offense out of the equation for a minute, you either go DT at at 16, or you roll the dice on Barr and let him play a LB/DE hybrid position until he develops into a dominant player at one spot or the other. Then get Crichton as your LE for the long term in the 2nd round.
One, I don't think Barr makes to Dallas' pick. Some 3-4 team (likely Tennessee) will want him. He is a Horton D fit, IMO.

Honestly, I just go BPA. Take the best or second best player at a position instead of the 4th or 5th best at a needed defensive position. I don't think we are all that impressed with the DL. We brought a bunch in to give us options as we will probably look later on. There is just too much cloudiness to the linemen, too many similar talents. I honestly think we are comfortable at safety, so that knocks out Clinton-Dix.

That could be a number of guys. Martin (as a OG), Beckham or Shazier are the ones in that case.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One, I don't think Barr makes to Dallas' pick. Some 3-4 team (likely Tennessee) will want him. He is a Horton D fit, IMO.

Honestly, I just go BPA. Take the best or second best player at a position instead of the 4th or 5th best at a needed defensive position. I don't think we are all that impressed with the DL. We brought a bunch in to give us options as we will probably look later on. There is just too much cloudiness to the linemen, too many similar talents. I honestly think we are comfortable at safety, so that knocks out Clinton-Dix.

That could be a number of guys. Martin (as a OG), Beckham or Shazier are the ones in that case.
I'm really not a big fan of using an elite pick on an undersized OLBer for this defense but my opinion is starting to shift on Shazier. That dude is blazing fast and was very productive in college. Obviously I'd much rather have a D-lineman but I don't hate the player nearly as much as I did.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
3. KONY EALY, Missouri (6-4, 265, 4.69, 1-2) — Fourth-year junior with 25 starts in 38 games at DE. "I think he could grow into a five-technique," said one scout. "I see him as a rush guy like Paul Kruger was in Baltimore. Where 80, 90% of the time he's rushing. He could do that and eventually grow into a D-end." The 4-3 teams view him as a base end. "I question his fire," another scout said. "If you got the right kind of coaching and put a boot into him, he might be a very good player. Whenever something doesn't work he just shuts her down. He's just kind of out of control. He gets washed out, then he'll make a big-time play." Finished with 93 tackles (27½ for loss) and 14 sacks. Wonderlic of 10. "He thinks he's already an Aldon Smith-type player," a third scout said. "Classic con man. I don't trust this kid. He will be just a big pain in the (expletive). He's one of those 'let somebody else draft him' guys." From New Madrid, Mo. Added a fourth scout: "There's no outstanding traits about him other than he gives you some versatility in a bad (defensive-line) draft. He's a mess. Somebody's going to draft him because they need a defensive end and overdraft him."
So, anyways....

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm really not a big fan of using an elite pick on an undersized OLBer for this defense but my opinion is starting to shift on Shazier. That dude is blazing fast and was very productive in college. Obviously I'd much rather have a D-lineman but I don't hate the player nearly as much as I did.
Like Donald, not a scheme fit for everyone. But he is pretty close to prototype for the Tampa 4-3 at least in terms of speed only.

Not a huge fan, but I guess I would be okay with it after a significant trade down. But he is an ugly MFer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like Donald, not a scheme fit for everyone. But he is pretty close to prototype for the Tampa 4-3 at least in terms of speed only.

Not a huge fan, but I guess I would be okay with it after a significant trade down. But he is an ugly MFer.
Is there a reason he shaves his eyebrows off? That is creepy looking.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

1) Manziel
2) Bortles
3) Bridgewater
4) Clowney
5) Robinson
6) Matthews
7) Watkins
8) Evans
9) Lewan
10) Donald
11) Barr
12) Mack
13) Mosley

13 guys on my target list (in no particular order there).

Need three guys that are not on this list to go before 16 to get one of them. Dennard, Gilbert, Clinton-Dix, Ebron, Martin, another of the WRs, Pryor, Carr, Ealy, Jernigan, etc. I think that is very likely to happen. I mean seriously, not a single DB goes in the top 15? Of course a couple will. Ebron probably will too.

And frankly, I'd live with Martin or Pryor too, though they aren't on my list. Don't love Clinton Dix and definitely don't want a CB.

Of course, while I say I'd take Bortles or Bridgewater, our GM probably wouldn't.

It is obviously a huge help for us getting a player like Barr, Donald or Lewan if the QBs go. Because again.... a DB or two will also go, Ebron or another WR may go, etc.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Defensive backs

May 6, 2014

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top defensive backs in the draft this week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

CORNERBACKS

1. JUSTIN GILBERT, Oklahoma State (6-0, 200, 4.36, 1) – Three-year starter with tremendous talent. "He's the least productive of the (top) group but has the highest ceiling," one scout said. "Size, speed. He's a lot of what Johnathan Joseph was. You've got to project he will be better in the NFL than he was in college." Started 39 of 51 games, finishing with 12 interceptions (15-yard average, two touchdowns) and 27 passes defensed. "You watch that guy and he like (expletive) you off and then he makes a big play, which none of these other guys do," said a second scout. "He picks a ball off and returns it 50 yards. He's not always tough." Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "I hate guys with Marilyn Monroe bell curves," a third scout said. "He was awful last year (2012) and this year he played a hell of a lot better. I can see his talent. That's not the point. I'm not saying he's a bad kid or a dumb kid. But he did the same thing in school that he does on the football field. He does not perform, and he can. He was going to get benched last year (2012). That's how bad he was. He's a big, long athlete that can run. I just don't think he saw the ball real well." From Huntsville, Texas.

2. DARQUEZE DENNARD, Michigan State (5-11, 197, 4.42, 1) – "He's more polished than Gilbert," said one scout. "Just not as talented. Real good in press." Three-year starter played almost exclusively man coverage from the bump zone. "He'll be a starter," another scout said. "He's not going to be great as a rookie. He likes to use his hands a lot downfield. He'll be a penalty player in our league. It will take him a little time to get out of that habit." Just 30 students were in his graduating class in Dry Branch, Ga. Didn't have a single scholarship offer until Spartans entered the picture late in senior season. "He's not the athlete the other two (Bradley Roby, Gilbert) are but he has great ball skills and makes plays," another scout said. "He has a ceiling because of athleticism, speed and quickness. Things that make him a first-rounder are ball skills, instincts and awareness. There's guys that play a long time because they have those qualities." Durability is a significant question. Underwent double hernia surgery after the 2012 season, and the doctors for one team say he might have to have a similar surgery again, according to one of that team's scouts. "He's had concussions and shoulder problems in the past, and that affects his tackling sometimes," a fourth scout said. Finished with 10 picks and 20 passes defensed.

3. KYLE FULLER, Virginia Tech (5-11½, 192, 4.43, 1) – First thing out of the mouths of many scouts are positives for the type of person that he is. "Great kid," one scout said. "He can cover. Nothing wrong with him. I think he is the most solid (cornerback)." Three-year starter with six picks and 26 passes defensed. "Needs to put on a little bit of mass but a really good athlete," another scout said. "He's fast. He's got cover skills...ball skills. He's not afraid to play the run. He comes from an awesome pedigree. If he somehow got into the second round I would be offering everything I own to trade up to get him. There's not a whole lot negative." Brother Vince was a nickel back for three teams from 2005-'11. Brother Corey is a second-year WR for Detroit. Wonderlic of 11. "Just had an outstanding game against Alabama (Aug. 31)," a third scout said. "Had a pick, several breakups, was involved in run support. He went from probably the third-round area to maybe the first. He runs well enough, he's got instincts and he's tough." Long injury history is a concern. From Baltimore.

4. BRADLEY ROBY, Ohio State (5-11, 195, 4.36, 1-2) – Fourth-year junior. "He's a tremendous athlete but highly inconsistent," one scout said. "You're going to have to harness him. He needs a mentor and a direction. Athletically, he's at the top of the group." Finished with eight interceptions (28.3, two TDs) and 36 passes defensed. "All the talent in the world to be an exceptional corner but he's a mess," said another scout. "You don't know when he's going to show up. He lacks eye discipline. He starts peeking in the backfield. He's twice as fast as (Wisconsin's Jared) Abbrederis and Abbrederis embarrassed him." Arrested on drunken driving charge April 20, the latest in an off-field résumé that concerns teams. "Guys like Gilbert and him frustrate me no end," a third scout said. "They could be great or they can bust. Every time a thoroughbred goes on the track he performs. A race horse, a dog, they go out and are going hard every time. People draft these guys and they think they can change them. Could they be great players? Yes. Me? I'm nervous. I like to draft people I think are safe. There's always something underneath that we never dig out. OK?" Wonderlic of 25. From Suwanee, Ga.

5. JASON VERRETT, Texas Christian (5-9½, 187, 4.40, 1-2) – Three-year starter with a junior-college background. "He's as good as any of them except he's 5-9," one scout said. "Very physical. Instinctive. Can cover. Very confident guy. If he's 6-feet he's probably the first corner." Best vertical jump (39½ inches) of the top five CBs, Wonderlic of 17 and possesses a quiet fire. "Jumps out of the gym," a second scout said. "Very strong. Great feet. Tough." Finished with nine picks and 35 passes defensed. "Hell of a player," a third scout said. "But there's no way I would draft him there (first round). He played at 175 and weighs almost 190 now. That's what bothers me. I saw some bigger guys run by him deep. Just outsized him." Gave up three TDs passes to Baylor's Robert Griffin III in first start and almost walked away. Added a fourth scout: "Hell of a kid but I hate him. He's too short." From Fairfield, Calif.

6. STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE, Nebraska (6-2½, 215, 4.49, 2-3) – Two-year starter with a CB-best 41½-inch vertical jump. "He's got the same measurables as (Nnamdi) Asomugha coming out," said one scout. "He's an unrefined guy who was a receiver. He's a good prospect. He'll probably get picked higher than people think." Spent a year in technical school and another in junior college, but didn't play post-high school until discovered by a Cornhuskers recruiter in late 2010. "It will take him some time," said a second scout. "Tall, long guy. Ran fast at his pro day. I don't know how strong he is. I don't know if he can play off coverage." Finished with seven picks (26.0, two TDs) and 22 passes defensed. Wonderlic of 12. "When you first see him you go, 'Wow, this is a corner?'" a third scout said. "Super talented. Very quiet. Will need some reps." From Miami.

7. ROSS COCKRELL, Duke (6-0, 190, 4.49, 3) – Four-year starter. "He's OK," said one scout. "You know what you get with him." Finished with 12 picks and 42 passes defensed. Wonderlic of 27. "He's a finesse guy," a second scout said. "Good feet." His interception and PBU totals were school records. "He's 6-foot and the (40) time's good but he don't play," a third scout said. "He ain't tough. How many Duke corners can you name? I can't even name a defensive player from there other than (linebacker) Mike Junkin, who was the biggest bust ever (in 1987)." From Waxhaw, N.C. "I watched one tape of him and gave him a free-agent grade," said a fourth scout. "They said, 'How come you don't watch more tape?' I said, 'Name me a corner from Duke over the last 40 years?'"

8. AARON COLVIN, Oklahoma (5-11½, 177, 4.5, 3-4) – Started at strong safety in 2011 before moving to CB the past two years. "Hell of a player," one scout said. "He just knows what the hell he's doing. He's a good athlete. Competes." Three-year starter with five picks and 23 passes defensed. Was making a strong early impression in Senior Bowl practices when he suffered a torn ACL. "He tore his knee up," another scout said. "He was a second-round player probably." From Tulsa, Okla. Unquestioned leader of Sooners' secondary. "You'll have to buy him cheaper and shelve him," a third scout said. Wonderlic of 25.

9. BASHAUD BREELAND, Clemson (5-11½, 205, 4.56, 3-4) – Fourth-year junior with 24 starts in 37 games. "He didn't run exceptional but he runs well enough," one scout said. "If you do keep him at corner you might have to do some things to mask the top-end (speed) when he gets with Demaryius Thomas and those guys. But against bigger receivers he competed. He's probably not a guy you want to put inside in nickel. On the island, to the boundary, he might be able to survive. He's probably a guy that eventually will transition to safety. He hasn't tested great by any means but he hasn't been godawful." Finished with six picks and 20 passes defensed. "He was a second-round guy to me but then he ran 4.6 at the combine and at the school," a second scout said. "He is instinctive, aggressive, makes plays. Now if you play zone the guy's going to be excellent." From Allendale, S.C.

10. MARCUS ROBERSON, Florida (6-0, 192, 4.65, 3-4) – Third-year junior. One of three Gators among the top 25 at the position. "A lot of people mistake speed for athletic ability," one scout said. "He's a great athlete. He may not have exceptional speed but he's got size, length, ball skills. Because he plays with position he's able to nullify speed a little bit. None of those Seahawk corners are burners. He doesn't have the aggression of those guys but you see flashes of it." Started 18 games outside, finishing with three picks and 17 passes. Dinged by some scouts for off-field and injury factors. "He's smooth," another scout said. "But he can't run and he's not physical and I'm not sure how competitive he is." From Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

OTHERS: Rashaad Reynolds, Oregon State; Jaylen Watkins, Florida; Pierre Desir, Lindenwood; Keith McGill, Utah; Antone Exum, Virginia Tech; Phillip Gaines, Rice; Marqueston Huff, Wyoming; Dex McDougle, Maryland; Travis Carrie, Ohio; Bennett Jackson, Notre Dame; E.J. Gaines, Missouri; Terrance Mitchell, Oregon; Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida; Victor Hampton, South Carolina.

SAFETIES

1. HA HA CLINTON-DIX, Alabama (6-1½, 207, 4.59, 1) – Third-year junior. "I truly love him," said one scout. "I think the guy is a damn good football player. He plays fast. He's instinctive as hell. If you want to get caught up in what he ran...I don't know about the brain but he killed it in our interview as far as the video stuff. Some people must have a completely different view of him than I do." Scored 15 on the Wonderlic. "There's just nothing he does really well," another scout said. "He's not particularly athletic, not particularly fast, not explosive, not always physical. You get him and you put him in there and he's just OK. He played at Alabama and started a bunch of games. OK?" Started 20 of 38 games, finishing with 100 tackles (four for loss), seven interceptions and 10 passes defensed. "He's just a solid starter," a third scout said. "The average safety in the league runs 4.6. You don't see a speed deficiency on film. He's a nice, smooth (back) pedaler. Very instinctive. Got nice ball skills." Served a two-game suspension in 2013 for accepting a $500 loan from the school's assistant strength coach. "He's 4.6," another scout said. "He's got good angles and ball skills. Lack of speed will eventually catch up to him. He'll still be a good, solid starter. He scares me." From Eatonville, Fla.

2. CALVIN PRYOR, Louisville (5-11, 207, 4.62, 1-2) – Third-year junior with 32 starts in 38 games. "I'd take Pryor at 15," one scout said. "I did William Moore and Kam Chancellor coming out and I liked Pryor better than both of them. He's a complete player. Very, very tough. He's a head-hunter. He's going to be a penalty player because he will have head shots. He plays faster than what he ran." Knocked opposing players out of three straight games last season. "You love the size, the intensity, toughness," a second scout said. "Big, physical guy. Brings an attitude with him. You love all that stuff. Not a great coverage guy. He's never done any man. In zone, as long as it's in front of him, he's OK. Stuff behind him, he does not have a good feel. Little stiff." Finished with 218 tackles (11 for loss), seven interceptions and 14 passes defensed. "He's a 4.6 guy so I worry a little bit about the range," a third scout said. "He can knock the (expletive) out of you but he also has a lot of drive-bys. Misses a lot of tackles. He's reckless. It's too much feast or famine." From Port St. Joe, Fla. "I call him the poor-man's (Troy) Polamalu," a fourth scout said. "He's got that long hair hanging out the back and he flies around and he's up in the air. But he misses tackles. He's more of a strong safety. He can play free but I'd like to have him closer to the line."

3. DEONE BUCANNON, Washington State (6-0, 211, 4.51, 1-2) – Started 43 of 48 games. "I think he's a top-10 pick," one scout said. "Height-weight-speed. Tackling skills are equivalent to Clinton-Dix and Pryor, but when he hits you he knocks 'em out. He's a bigger version of Ronnie Lott. He's such a good player, you could take him out of the middle of the field and have him go one-on-one with one of those big wide receivers. He's that athletic. I've seen him cover people in space. Did you know this guy played four years of golf in high school? Golf is the thinking-man's game. Don't tell me he can't think his way through." Figures to be the Cougars' highest drafted player since 2007. "Best hitter at safety," said another scout. "Over Calvin Pryor. Put on the Auburn game (Aug. 31) and watch the hit Bucannon puts on Tre Mason. Ouch. Somebody is going to get a good player there." Finished with 384 tackles (13½ for loss), 15 picks and 14 passes defensed. "Box safety," said a third scout. "He's stiff as (expletive). Can't cover. He misses more tackles. I'll tell you what. If we play him we're going to match (his team's TE) up with him." Added almost 20 pounds in last year. Wonderlic of 15. "He will hit you but he can't learn," a fourth scout said. "There's a real mental concern with Bucannon. He runs and he hits. The coverage and the learning is an issue with him." From Fairfield, Calif.

4. JIMMIE WARD, Northern Illinois (5-101/2, 195, 4.49, 2) – Started at CB in 2011 and at safety the past two seasons. "Remember Louis Delmas?" said one scout. "Plays a lot like Delmas but he's better in coverage. He's fierce, but Delmas was bigger and thicker. He's already put on some weight and will continue to do that." Finished with 320 tackles (six for loss), 11 picks and 26 passes defensed. "He is small," said a second scout. "He has range. He's the same size as Earl Thomas. Good open-field tackler." Born in Racine, moved to Mobile, Ala., at 7. "Typical Mobile guy," a third scout said. "He's got swagger. He's got a bright eye to him. Not sure you totally trust him but he's confident and a good kid. Just small." Wonderlic of 17. Had fewest reps (nine) of leading safeties on bench press. "He is the hittingest safety in this draft," a fourth scout said. "He's going to hit himself out. Wow, is he a hitter."

5. TERRENCE BROOKS, Florida State (5-11, 199, 4.42, 2-3) – Served as dime back in 2011 before starting two years at safety. "He's athletic, fluid," one scout said. "Not a killer. Not great in space, but OK. He can be physical. Got good range. Fills the alley. Good ball skills." Finished with 126 tackles (9½ for loss), five picks and 15 passes defensed. "If he can ever clean up his consistency with tackling...he should be a starter," a second scout said. "Really good athlete. He doesn't have great size but it's good enough. You'll feel comfortable with him back there. He's a great communicator. He puts the work in." Wonderlic of 23. "You don't see the speed translated to the field," said a third scout. "If he can put it all together from a vision, mental and physical standpoint he's good enough to start at some point." From Dunnellon, Fla.

6. LAMARCUS JOYNER, Florida State (5-8, 184, 4.51, 2-3) – Started 27 games at safety as a sophomore and junior before moving to CB in '13. "Earl Thomas isn't very big and the guy from Iowa (Bob Sanders) wasn't very big," one scout said. "Smaller guy but flies around and blows people up. Little stiff for corner but there's places where they can get away with it. Just a good football player. He's a fun kid to be around. At school they call him the Frisbee dog because he's chasing everything down. If people go three wide you can stay base and move him down. If he has to tackle a (big) back one-on-one in space 10 times a day then that means you've got more problems than him and you're (expletive) up up front." Had a 37½-inch vertical jump. Finished with 197 tackles (10½ for loss), eight picks and 15 passes defensed. Wonderlic of 13. "He's a great player but he's so (expletive) small," another scout said. "He's a good little nick (nickel back)." From Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

7. DEZ SOUTHWARD, Wisconsin (6-0, 212, 4.39, 3-4) – Two-year starter at safety but also played extensively from the slot. "You watch the Penn State game and the (Allen) Robinson guy breaks away on a screen," one scout said. "Southward comes up, sees it, gets blocked and chases Robinson down from behind. That was the first time I saw the 4.4 speed. He's a banger and he can run. He has some stiffness. They tried him at corner but he can't play corner." Wasn't invited to the combine but blazed a sub-4.4 40 and had a CB-best 42-inch vertical jump at pro day. "Yeah, I know he runs fast, but they roll the turf there (UW)," said another scout. "They're trying to (expletive) us. It's nonsense, that's all." Finished with 152 tackles (11½ for loss), two picks and 13 passes defensed. Wonderlic of 31. "Lot of athletic traits but a long way to go," a third scout said. "He's been moved around so much and he had only one year of high school football. He's a project, but he's a worthwhile project." From Sunrise, Fla.

8. MO ALEXANDER, Utah State (6-1, 220, 4.55, 4) – Played two seasons in junior college and transferred to Utah State, where he started at OLB in 2011. In '12, he socked a teammate in the face (who underwent emergency surgery) and eventually pleaded guilty to misdemeanor aggravated assault. Kicked off team for the '12 season but returned to start at FS in '13. "He is really humbled by that whole thing," one scout said. "Really like him. Big and really athletic. Tough guy." Finished with 125 tackles (16 for loss), one pick and seven passes defensed. Wonderlic of 14. "He's a box safety," another scout said. "He's too rigid to play in coverage. If you're going to have a strong safety you've got to at least have enough movement to mirror guys. He will struggle." From St. Louis, where he was an outstanding prep wrestler.

9. NAT BERHE, San Diego State (5-10½, 194, 4.57, 4) – Three-year starter at a combination safety-LB hybrid position. "He's tough as hell," one scout said. "Good ol' football player. He didn't run as good as we thought he would. He and Jimmie Ward are real similar. But you've got to have a special role for him." Finished with 299 tackles (11 for loss), five picks and 19 passes defensed. "He'll make a team," another scout said. "He didn't time good but he might be a free safety." From Colton, Calif.

10. BROCK VEREEN, Minnesota (5-11½, 199, 4.46, 4) – Started 18 games at FS and 18 at CB. "He's a little bit like Southward," one scout said. "He's an athletic guy. There's an up side to the kid. He needs to make more plays." Posted 200 tackles (7½ for loss), four picks and 22 passes defensed. Brother, Shane, was drafted in 2011 by New England in the second round. "I liked his toughness," said another scout. "That you can't coach. Comes hard on the blitz. Gets turned around in coverage." From Valencia, Calif.

OTHERS: Craig Loston, Louisiana State; Jonathan Dowling, Western Kentucky; Dontae Johnson, North Carolina State; Isaiah Lewis, Michigan State; Jemea Thomas, Georgia Tech; Vinnie Sunseri, Alabama; Ed Reynolds, Stanford; Tre Boston, North Carolina; Ahmad Dixon, Baylor; Daniel Sorenson, Brigham Young; Alden Darby, Arizona State.

Top Bottom