McGinn's Draft Series - 2014

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm confident that taking Tre Mason, Andre Johnson, Storm Johnson or Lache Seastrunk in this draft would yield a better impact on this team than Randle could.
Yeah, I don't think there is any questioning that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm confident that taking Tre Mason, Andre Johnson, Storm Johnson or Lache Seastrunk in this draft would yield a better impact on this team than Randle could.
And how would anyone know that. I'm basing my opinion on what I have seen of him in college. He hasn't seen enough action with Dallas to get an objective evaluation.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Just cut and paste wait and see.

D

Deuce

And how would anyone know that. I'm basing my opinion on what I have seen of him in college. He hasn't seen enough action with Dallas to get an objective evaluation.
I'm basing my opinions of the college players based on that, but Randle based on college, pre-season and regular season. At no time did he look special. He was just adequate. But our idiot brain trust thought he reminded them of our current back and thought it would be the perfect fill in for when Murray gets hurt.

These re other guys, mind you, have been special at times. Game breakers and carrying teams on their backs to victory. Maybe the least special of the 4 I named was a Heisman finalist.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm basing my opinions of the college players based on that, but Randle based on college, pre-season and regular season. At no time did he look special. He was just adequate. But our idiot brain trust thought he reminded them of our current back and thought it would be the perfect fill in for when Murray gets hurt.

These re other guys, mind you, have been special at times. Game breakers and carrying teams on their backs to victory. Maybe the least special of the 4 I named was a Heisman finalist.
Didn't say he was a special player. I said he is a good reliable backup. Hold off on the supplemental adjectives that were not part of my conversation.

D

Deuce

Didn't say he was a special player. I said he is a good reliable backup. Hold off on the supplemental adjectives that were not part of my conversation.
You said he was serviceable. Now he's good and reliable. I think he's none of the above.

Btw, my objective in the draft is to never find serviceable players. I'm always on the lookout for special.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You said he was serviceable. Now he's good and reliable. I think he's none of the above.

Btw, my objective in the draft is to never find serviceable players. I'm always on the lookout for special.
You obviously didn't read all my comments on the subject. My initial premise is that Randall is an adequate backup in light of the fact that Dallas doesn't run the ball that much. I then stated my opinion was based on watching him in college because he wasn't used that much in Dallas to make an objective evaluation. I also said there are better runners available if you want to move up in the draft to get them but there's no point unless Dallas uses the running backs more. That's the jest of what I have posted on the on him. Don't use those comments to indicate I think he is a special player because that hasn't occured.

D

Deuce

You obviously didn't read all my comments on the subject. My initial premise is that Randall is an adequate backup in light of the fact that Dallas doesn't run the ball that much. I then stated my opinion was based on watching him in college because he wasn't used that much in Dallas to make an objective evaluation. I also said there are better runners available if you want to move up in the draft to get them but there's no point unless Dallas uses the running backs more. That's the jest of what I have posted on the on him. Don't use those comments to indicate I think he is a special player because that hasn't occured.
The adjective you use to describe him is semantics. What I'm saying if he is just not as good as these players. But feel free to wait and see on him until we (hopefully) let Murray walk next offseason and we have no legit options.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The adjective you use to describe him is semantics. What I'm saying if he is just not as good as these players. But feel free to wait and see on him until we (hopefully) let Murray walk next offseason and we have no legit options.
The words I used are the words I used plain and simple . There are no semantics needed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is true but you're burning a year on one of those players basically sitting on the bench most of the season. I'd rather wait a year and draft a RB. No reason to develop a guy for a year. Of course if they are around in the sixth/seventh my opinion may change.

D

Deuce

That is true but you're burning a year on one of those players basically sitting on the bench most of the season. I'd rather wait a year and draft a RB. No reason to develop a guy for a year. Of course if they are around in the sixth/seventh my opinion may change.
When you have someone in Murray who can't make it 16 games, it's not burning a year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you have someone in Murray who can't make it 16 games, it's not burning a year.
When you use a RB as sparingly as we do I think it is. I have no problem drafting a RB but I sure wouldn't do it in the first 4 rounds. The impact of a RB will be minimal. I'd rather pour our resources into rebuilding this defense. You'd basically be drafting a RB for a year down the road. Even then are these RB's anything better then the RBs we will find in next years draft? Probably not. It's just a year of run of the mill solid RBs in my opinion.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When you use a RB as sparingly as we do I think it is. I have no problem drafting a RB but I sure wouldn't do it in the first 4 rounds. The impact of a RB will be minimal. I'd rather pour our resources into rebuilding this defense. You'd basically be drafting a RB for a year down the road. Even then are these RB's anything better then the RBs we will find in next years draft? Probably not. It's just a year of run of the mill solid RBs in my opinion.
That's essentially what I was saying. With the approach Dallas is taking the current backs are productive. As to Murray he was used sparingly and still managed to get 1000 yards.

D

Deuce

I wish Murray was used more, but it's not sparingly. He gets carries and he's part of the passing game. He does enough that we miss him quite a but when he's off the field.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett is likely gone after this year. Can't draft worrying about the RB not being used.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garrett is likely gone after this year. Can't draft worrying about the RB not being used.
That's what I am suggesting. Draft the RB next year.

Now if you see a RB in this class with special abilities that may be different but most of these guys look like RBs you see in every draft class. Unlike other positions a RB doesn't need a year to sit and learn. So why waste a year on the RBs contract? Draft him next year. This year would be too soon in my opinion. I'm tired of wasting picks on the Tashard Choices of this world anyway. They are no better then the undrafted options.

D

Deuce

That's what I am suggesting. Draft the RB next year.

Now if you see a RB in this class with special abilities that may be different but most of these guys look like RBs you see in every draft class. Unlike other positions a RB doesn't need a year to sit and learn. So why waste a year on the RBs contract? Draft him next year. This year would be too soon in my opinion. I'm tired of wasting picks on the Tashard Choices of this world anyway. They are no better then the undrafted options.
So instead of being proactive, which we all complain about with this FO, you want to wait til it's an absolute need to address the position?

feh.

And im not saying waste a pick on a back that's probably a JAG, use a pick on a guy who can break the game open.

Top Bottom