MacMahon - Travis Frederick: 'I'm going to change a lot of minds'

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We should have been angling for their 2nd.
True. Dallas lost about 80 points.

The 2nd and 3rd rounds were worth more relative to the late 1st round this year creating a poor market for trading down from the late 1st, but Dallas still managed to get jobbed the worst among those teams trading down in that area. The Rams lost only 20-30 net points dropping from 22 to 30 while the Pats stayed chart-equal with Minnesota.

One added difference under the new CBA is that the Pats by dropping out of the first altogether got a shorter contract for their top pick, so there's added incentive to not trade out of the 1st.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We should have been angling for their 2nd.
True. But according to reports, whether it's spin or not I don't know, is that we still would've taken Terrance Williams. So in that case I'd rather have had the 3rd and a 4th.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
Love the pick. He was going to be the first center drafted anyways, and seeing we moved to 31 he would've gone shortly after if we didn't take him.

It was either him or Schwenke. Now as far as the tackle or guard position that's a different story. We need to sign a tackle and or guard like Winston and Moore to really improve. Will we? Probably not. It's a process, remember?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Love the pick. He was going to be the first center drafted anyways, and seeing we moved to 31 he would've gone shortly after if we didn't take him.

It was either him or Schwenke. Now as far as the tackle or guard position that's a different story. We need to sign a tackle and or guard like Winston and Moore to really improve. Will we? Probably not. It's a process, remember?
You have to weigh the risk of losing him by trading down into the early 2nd round combined with the loss of an extra year of contract length. One year is not a small amount of time when you're talking about four or five years total.

This all assumes a specific player (hence, need) is your goal. Once you decide where you will draft him, you then have to get the compensation right. They got less pick-value, but they got a very good player at 74 so in they did justice to the 18th pick.

I mean how would this board have exploded if they had drafted Pugh straight up?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I mean how would this board have exploded if they had drafted Pugh straight up?

Exactly right. I would have been pretty unhappy about it, personally.

Pugh would've been a huge reach at 18 in my opinion. And yet the Giants did almost exactly that, and you hardly hear a peep about it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Exactly right. I would have been pretty unhappy about it, personally.

Pugh would've been a huge reach at 18 in my opinion. And yet the Giants did almost exactly that, and you hardly hear a peep about it.
And Dallas got an extra 3rd rounder by comparison. NFL.com has Frederick ranked higher than Pugh or Long who went 19th and 20th, yet Maycock didn't freak about either one of them having a "third round grade" like he did with Frederick who was drafted over 10 picks later.

It's just a double standard when judging the Cowboys, but I completely understand where they're coming from since Jerry has no benefit of the doubt from me and I'm a Cowboys fan.

What I dislike (besides the whole drafting for need thing) was no DL in the entire draft and two small school DB's.

Carp

DCC 4Life
True. Dallas lost about 80 points.

The 2nd and 3rd rounds were worth more relative to the late 1st round this year creating a poor market for trading down from the late 1st, but Dallas still managed to get jobbed the worst among those teams trading down in that area. The Rams lost only 20-30 net points dropping from 22 to 30 while the Pats stayed chart-equal with Minnesota.

One added difference under the new CBA is that the Pats by dropping out of the first altogether got a shorter contract for their top pick, so there's added incentive to not trade out of the 1st.
We never seem to be trading from a position of power. The whole NFL, SF included, knew Jerry wanted to trade down and accumulate more picks. Stephen flatout pretty much said it. So instead of being in a place where we can tell SF to go F themselves for not offering enough to move up, we gladly take lesser value in the trade down because we are desperate. I don't mind the trade down, but we could have done better.

Top Bottom