MacMahon - Travis Frederick: 'I'm going to change a lot of minds'

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I listened to the press conference, they never once referred to Frederick as a guard.

I'm not saying things can't change but it's clear right now they see him as a starting center.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I listened to the press conference, they never once referred to Frederick as a guard.

I'm not saying things can't change but it's clear right now they see him as a starting center.
I would hope that they do see him as the center.

Taking him, where we did, with the intent of using him as a guard, would have been asinine, even for Jerry Jones.

D

Deuce

It could be decent. I wouldn't say "real solid."
I think solid is right. Clabo and Smith are both capable, Frederick is a stud, Livings is ok. My thought is Leary will be the RG because Jerry loves him so much and he can't be as bad as Bernadeau.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would say if we get Clabo and he's got something in the tank, if Frederick pans out into a nearly-instant stud, and if Leary develops and is an upgrade over Bernadeau, it could be solid. Probably middle of the pack. Which is better than at the bottom like last year for sure.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think I will hold off on calling Frederick a stud until I see him against an NFL DL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

You have to admit he looks damn good here, but Stanford's defensive tackles are hardly all world.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I don't mind the pick considering who our brain trust is. We're just lucky they didn't draft a dead guy or a woman

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys' Frederick broke teammates' arms

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: April 29, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.
Updated: April 29, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Few first-round picks were as criticized as the Dallas Cowboys' selection, center Travis Frederick. But no one will complain that Jerry Jones selected Frederick "too early" if he winds up starting for the next eight years.

Frederick is known for his position flexibility and his strong technical skill. He could also be known for his nastiness.

"Unfortunately, he has an extreme nastiness," Frederick's college coach Bret Bielema told ESPN Radio 103.3 FM in Dallas. "I had to get on him a few of times. He broke a couple guys' arms and wrists by throwing them down on the ground and whacking them a little bit after the play, on our own team. ..."

I'm not into grading drafts right after the fact. If Frederick is a good player, it was a good pick. I heard a lot of similar criticism lobbed at the Patriots when they drafted unknown guard Logan Mankins in the first round, when people thought they could have selected him much later.

If Frederick is a quality starter, it was a good pick. As long as he doesn't break too many of his teammates' arms along the way.
--------------

This is pretty cool though.

Kind makes me wish Jerry and Stephen line up opposite him as a joke.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Frederick is a quality starter, it was a good pick. As long as he doesn't break too many of his teammates' arms along the way.
---------
Well that sealed it for Ratliff being injured again.

In all seriousness I love having Frederick on our team. I know experts are calling him a reach but those same expert would have had no problem with the Bills taking Nassib in the first when in reality he didn't go until the fourth. I don't have any faith that he would have lasted until the third round like some are claiming. I doubt he would have even made it to our second. I'm excited to see Frederick play, the guy has power, something we have desperately missed lately.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well that sealed it for Ratliff being injured again.

In all seriousness I love having Frederick on our team. I know experts are calling him a reach but those same expert would have had no problem with the Bills taking Nassib in the first when in reality he didn't go until the fourth. I don't have any faith that he would have lasted until the third round like some are claiming. I doubt he would have even made it to our second. I'm excited to see Frederick play, the guy has power, something we have desperately missed lately.
I am warming up to the idea that it wasn't a huge reach. He "might" have made it to our pick in the second, but Detroit and Arizona were supposedly ready to grab him at the top of the second and he visited with both teams more than once. Broaddus claims he would have made it.

I just wish we got more than a measly third for the guy.

Lotuseater

Banned
And I may be alone here, but I'm old fashioned. I love the nastiness. This team has missed that for a long time. Its one of the reasons I liked Unger, too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am warming up to the idea that it wasn't a huge reach. He "might" have made it to our pick in the second, but Detroit and Arizona were supposedly ready to grab him at the top of the second and he visited with both teams more than once. Broaddus claims he would have made it.

I just wish we got more than a measly third for the guy.
We absolutely should have gotten more then a third. I'm really glad we were able to get Williams with that third though. I have been extremely high on him for awhile. He has size, speed and the ability to take the top off the defense. I know it was at Baylor so the numbers are inflated but 1832 yards and 12 TDs this past year are pretty impressive. I think he will make an excellent compliment to Dez long term. Allows us to hopefully get out of that horrid Austin contract as soon as possible.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

You have to admit he looks damn good here, but Stanford's defensive tackles are hardly all world.
He really clears people out of the middle, especially early. Looks like the defense was stacking the box later. He does get beat on a pulling guard play late.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We should have been angling for their 2nd.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He really clears people out of the middle, especially early. Looks like the defense was stacking the box later. He does get beat on a pulling guard play late.
Honestly, he looks like he got more tired as the game went on. He lacks a true power butt base and he is am upper body leverage guy for sure until his lower body seems to tire out.

You just look at the guy, he's not a finely tuned athletic machine. He's shaped like an upside down pear.

He's an angry upside down pear.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Angry Pear? Isn't that an Alice in Chains song?

Top Bottom