MacMahon: No excuse for Dez to be targeted only twice

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
People bitched about Parcells too, and he was the best coach this team has had since Jimmy Johnson.
True, but that's not saying much when the other's he was compared to were Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Wade and Garrett.
I mean when Jerry was talking about any of 500 coaches I didn't realize he was going to go after #500, #499, #498, etc.

But I've heard every analysis under the sun for why Garrett sucks...
Geez, how did this guy get a job offer from the Ravens if he can't do any of these things? Simple answer.... he can.... they get blown out of proportion.
Don't think that a day goes by that the Ravens don't thank God that Garrett turned them down. Getting an offer doesn't validate Garrett as a HC.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I hate to say this because you shouldn't need this when a team double a WR like that.

But Austin, you are a total fucking bitch. You are an ex-No. 1 WR, under 30 years old, for as good as Terrance Williams has been, you should be destroying the single coverage looks when teams try to do that to Bryant.

I am thinking he's sandbagging it too like Ratliff.
Austin is constantly out due to some nagging injury or whatever. As much as Lee and Murray seem to get injured no one seems to miss games or become invisible as much as Miles Austin. He's totally worthless and has been for a couple of years.

But it shouldn't take him to exploit that type of defense. I mean they couldn't get the ball to Witten or T Williams or quick slants to Beasley? Not to mention we were running it up the gut like crazy with Murray. It just comes down to this staff and group of players always let the opposing team dictate the game to them.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
People bitched about Parcells too, and he was the best coach this team has had since Jimmy Johnson.
Well, there's something to be proud of. Pretty stiff competition for that honor. :lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's a logical fallacy.

In other words, if we weren't losing, no one would be bitching about all those things he does that cause us to lose.

Of course. Because if we were winning it would mean he stopped doing things that cause us to lose.
Mind officially blown.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

I don't think I have ever seen this. They literally said to the Cowboys, you may beat us, but you damn sure won't with Dez.
If ever there was a reason to put a WR in motion, here it is.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If ever there was a reason to put a WR in motion, here it is.
There is no reason not to put Dez in motion. It is just one more example of how bad our coaching staff is.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Five straight passes to open up against the Giants. 1 catch on a bubble screen for 3 yards, one drop, 2 incompletions and a pick six.

Book it.
Probably. It's amazing how this team overreacts to each previous game yet never learns anything. After getting criticized to death for only running 9 times vs Minny they go all in the next game running about every play the first few series.
Now they don't get the ball to Dez so they'll go overboard forcing it to him next game and totally abandon the run.

A real staff would have a clue what they were doing and wouldn't have to overreact and knee jerk from week to week. But Garrett and company are completely brain dead. And once they get the "overreaction" out of the way they'll once again revert to the same ol same ol. Like clockwork.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
It's a logical fallacy.

In other words, if we weren't losing, no one would be bitching about all those things he does that cause us to lose.

Of course. Because if we were winning it would mean he stopped doing things that cause us to lose.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, I think most of the criticism stems from just this. He's not winning.
Bullshit. When you get outcoached...you get outcoached.

This was not just a "loss".

We were sorry sick ass helpless shit on both sides of the football.

And when Opie actually outcoaches someone to the tune of a blowout victory with the tune of 40 first downs ...please let us know.

This might have made more sense...oh...I dunno, when he wasn't outcoached like Payton and Ryan did to him and his staff.

They fucking embarrassed him with one of the worst defeats in franchise history.

All that other nonsense about "bad playcalling" or "outcoached every week" or whatever, is all fan frustration, translatable to "he's not winning." Which is true.

And Parcells got outcoached too. Funny thing is, the very same Sean Payton reduced him to blinking clueless old man back in 2006.

But I've heard every analysis under the sun for why Garrett sucks:

He won't shorten the passing game, he won't lengthen the passing game, he won't run the ball, he runs the ball at the wrong time, he mismanages the clock, he doesn't value the offensive line, he doesn't make them practice, he won't bench players, when he benches players it's worthless mind games, he doesn't know enough about defense, he's not a good situational playcaller, he doesn't know how to delegate, he's not hands on enough as a walk around coach, he gets too cute, he's not creative enough. Geez, how did this guy get a job offer from the Ravens if he can't do any of these things? Simple answer.... he can.... they get blown out of proportion.
And all that goes away when he starts winning.

And not just scraping and fighting to get a W. We are talking about butt whippings.

That kind of signature win is what makes a good coach out of a mediocre one. Each time he's been faced with that, i.e. a team with a winning record, his track record is beyond horrible.

So when will we get the perfect mixture of talent for Garrett and especially his offense? Been going on seven years now, with mostly the same QB.

Why isn't it kicking ass by now? Oh, the OL? You mean the one he's been complicit with each year? The one where he endorses getting gimmick RBs and second TEs instead of linemen and our idiot GM doesn't know any better?

A lot of those theories contradict each other.
No really. Here's a theory...he's not nearly as good as you give him credit for.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And Parcells got outcoached too. Funny thing is, the very same Sean Payton reduced him to blinking clueless old man back in 2006.
Yes, outcoached by one of the very best coaches in football. Sean Payton outcoaches just about everyone. It's one of the reasons why his team is a Super Bowl contender every year.

Parcells was still a very good coach here. People were ready to run him off because he couldn't get over the hump here, but in that frustration, they failed to realize he was still a damn good coach and better than anything else we were gonna get (which has ended up being true in the following 7 years since he left).

And all that goes away when he starts winning.

And not just scraping and fighting to get a W. We are talking about butt whippings.
Right, that's my point. I don't know that we need to see "butt whippings" but consistently making the playoffs, winning playoff games, etc.

We were winning in 2007 with this same 90's style offense and no one thought it was a bad scheme back then.

No doubt what he's doing right now is not good enough. Where the hyperbole comes in is that every little thing he's just the worst at. Well, it's a bit over the top.

No really. Here's a theory...he's not nearly as good as you give him credit for.
Well, he is about average, which is what I give him credit for.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Parcells was still a very good coach here.
No way. He was still a good team builder. But a very average game day coach. Some days, worse than that. The Seattle playoff game comes to mind...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes, outcoached by one of the very best coaches in football. Sean Payton outcoaches just about everyone. It's one of the reasons why his team is a Super Bowl contender every year.
He was also outcoached by Jim Schwartz were it not for a great individual effort from Sean Lee. So.....

Parcells was still a very good coach here. People were ready to run him off because he couldn't get over the hump here, but in that frustration, they failed to realize he was still a damn good coach and better than anything else we were gonna get (which has ended up being true in the following 7 years since he left).
He ran himself off. He quit. He hated it in Dallas, so don't blame anyone else but him for the way he went out. I think most people acknowledge the simple reality that he was a better quasi-GM than he was a day to day head coach. He was an offset to Jones' idiocy and meddling, but there is a reason he did not surface elsewhere solely as a head coach.

Right, that's my point. I don't know that we need to see "butt whippings" but consistently making the playoffs, winning playoff games, etc.
I think we do. He's been around as an OC/head coach in waiting for seven entire football seasons, more than enough time to get his offense, especially, where it should be clicking on all cylinders. He's failed to do that and even looks worse now than he did as a relative novice.

I have never seen anyone so hypersensitive to constantly defend average.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have never seen anyone so hypersensitive to constantly defend average.
It's important to realize where you stand with these head coaching moves so that you're not moving in the wrong direction with the next hire like we did with Fat Wade.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's important to realize where you stand with these head coaching moves so that you're not moving in the wrong direction with the next hire like we did with Fat Wade.
Thing is you see a distinct difference. I do not.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Thing is you see a distinct difference. I do not.
Red hair. Not fat. Doesn't have a youtube vid of himself doing YMCA.

There are some differences if you dig deep enough.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

We were winning in 2007 with this same 90's style offense and no one thought it was a bad scheme back then.

No doubt what he's doing right now is not good enough. Where the hyperbole comes in is that every little thing he's just the worst at. Well, it's a bit over the top.

Yeah, but no coordinator currently coaching the sport of football could possibly ever be better. No current college coaches either. Garrett is just somehow so "average" he's better than every candidate out there. Which means if we fire him he should have a head coaching job immediately.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Garrett has an attractive enough background (skins) to get a lot of head coaching jobs in the college and even the NFL but my assessment of him is that he will never be a "winning" NFL head coach. He comes from a strong football coaching family background and will be regarded highly where ever he goes but to me he has proven that he cannot take a hardline on the matters that winning coaches thrive on.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but no coordinator currently coaching the sport of football could possibly ever be better.
That's almost exactly the opposite of what I've said. Not sure you could take a sarcastic position that has less to do with what I actually think.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That's almost exactly the opposite of what I've said. Not sure you could take a sarcastic position that has less to do with what I actually think.
Except you shoot down every single one. You can say "they would fail here" but you imply that Garrett is uniquely qualified to coach here, and he clearly isn't. He had a lot of love and indulgence from Jerry and he used that to get Felix Jones and two TEs. He was Jerry's beloved football darling and he didn't once use that influence to get us a Carl Nicks. He failed to sell his biggest fan on building from the line because he's as big a loser and "weapon" chaser as Mike Martz was when he got power and influence in St Louis, going after Trung Candidates and Eric Crouchs.

You contrast that against how the real architect of the biggest show on turf went out and built an offense in Kansas City. Vermiel only added one of the greatest LTs in history to Will Shields and Brian Waters and let the line create a beast on the ground and effectiveness through the air.

That's the difference between an offensive genius like Vermiel or Norv Turner and a POS poser like Garrett, Martz, Al Saunders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom