MacMahon: Jaws ranks Tony Romo as No. 15 QB

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The play I'm talking about occurs at the 2:50 mark on this vid. It was his 3rd pick of the game.

I know Garrett needs to have better awareness here and reel in his QB, but this is also a perfect example of how only Romo can truly save himself. Has plenty of time to throw and still makes the horrid decision to let this one go.

Carp

DCC 4Life
One of the things I'm looking forward to the most this year is to see how Callahan manages the offense when Romo's having an off week.

I've said several times that Garrett has had some responsibility in the Romo clunkers. As Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator it's his responsibility to reel in the QB when the QB doesn't have his best stuff. I can't recall a single time where Garrett has dialed back the offense during a Romo choke-fest.

I want to see if Callahan balances things out and calls more of a conservative game plan when Romo struggles.
That will only happen if we are able to effectively run the ball. I can't say I blame Garrett for putting it all on Romo pretty much all the time...the non-existent running game makes you lean that way. Although it has always baffled me why we have not run more screens...that is one thing that I think would really work well. When the OL lets the DL run right past them it really is a great camoflauge for a screen...it is pretty much like every other play.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That will only happen if we are able to effectively run the ball. I can't say I blame Garrett for putting it all on Romo pretty much all the time...the non-existent running game makes you lean that way. Although it has always baffled me why we have not run more screens...that is one thing that I think would really work well. When the OL lets the DL run right past them it really is a great camoflauge for a screen...it is pretty much like every other play.
I agree. When I say dial it back a bit I'm not talking about just running it more. I'm talking about leaning on the short passing game and screen plays as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Considering just how terrible our run game was last year I am pretty amazed that we still held an overall advantage in time of possesion, but we could use even more of it. I think both Romo and Garrett are both far too hellbent on the big plays as opposed to a nice time consuming drive. Although when we have those drives, we have to finish with a TD and not a FG.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The play I'm talking about occurs at the 2:50 mark on this vid. It was his 3rd pick of the game.

I know Garrett needs to have better awareness here and reel in his QB, but this is also a perfect example of how only Romo can truly save himself. Has plenty of time to throw and still makes the horrid decision to let this one go.

That's why I believe coaching can only fix part of the problem. Romo is hardwired to take risks. He can't help himself.

I can recall several times where he was picked off because he was going for the big play rather than throwing to a receiver who was open underneath. It's just something you have to live with.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I almost don't mind risk taking, pimping, Romo...but then he has to have a defense that can back him up in case of turnover...we just have not had that the last couple years.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's why I believe coaching can only fix part of the problem. Romo is hardwired to take risks. He can't help himself.
Exactly.

This is something that Romo's biggest supporters fail to acknowledge when they come up with all of the reasons why he hasn't done this or that. Yes, a better coaching staff and a better line help, but he's still going to be a mistake prone guy because that's just who he is.

If you hear some people tell it, the guy is just a victim of circumstance and none of the stupid turnovers he commits are his fault.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I almost don't mind risk taking, pimping, Romo...but then he has to have a defense that can back him up in case of turnover...we just have not had that the last couple years.
A defense will help when he commits a turnover here and there, but no defense or team can overcome when he has those multiple turnover games that just kill us, i.e. the Jets and Lions games from 2011, the Redskins finale last season, etc.

Carp

DCC 4Life
A defense will help when he commits a turnover here and there, but no defense or team can overcome when he has those multiple turnover games that just kill us, i.e. the Jets and Lions games from 2011, the Redskins finale last season, etc.
That is part of having Romo as your QB. He'll put up enough points to win, we just need to D to make those points count and not have to have him scraping for points.

1bigfan13

Staff member
If it weren't for the fact that most of his turd performances come in late December I probably wouldn't complain about him. Every QB is flawed and has bad performances.

I'd just like more consistency in those games. Not this Jeykll and Hyde crap that we keep getting. This past year for example. He was awesome vs. the Saints in week 16 then followed that magnificent performance up with a clunker.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That is part of having Romo as your QB. He'll put up enough points to win, we just need to D to make those points count and not have to have him scraping for points.
This defense has left a lot to be desired for most of Romo's career.

If there is a worse 2 min defense than the 2006-present Cowboys defense, then I certainly haven't seen it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If it weren't for the fact that most of his turd performances come in late December I probably wouldn't complain about him. Every QB is flawed and has bad performances.

I'd just like more consistency in those games. Not this Jeykll and Hyde crap that we keep getting. This past year for example. He was awesome vs. the Saints in week 16 then followed that magnificent performance up with a clunker.
Totally agree...he needs to be more consistent, but there is a reason why he played at E. Illinois and went undrafted. He has been better than I think anyone could possibly imagine, but he still is what he is.

D

Deuce

I think we actually did at the start of last year, but the offense as a whole was just so anemic that it didnt matter. Romo was part of that problem.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I feel the same way and the last Washington game is a good case in point. It was clear immediately that we had bad Tony that game. I would have liked to see a more grind it out offense and not put the game in Romo's hands unless absolutely necessary.
I have said it for a while that you can almost tell if you are getting good Tony or bad Tony from how he looks in the pregame warmups.

When he looks all pensive he ends up shitting the bed.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Somewhat off topic....DeMarco Murray is on First Take now talking about the offense under Callahan.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All of you who don't like Romo can jus' geeet out! [/homer]

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The Romo hate has spread to epic dimensions and it's time we put a lid on it.

Any posts/threads that berate the team or Romo in any way will result in automatic suspension of your DCC account.

I'll be backlogging posts and will bring haters and negative ninnies to justice.

This won't keep on being tolerated.

=======================

This post is by no means indicative of the DCC's stance on teh Tony Romo guy.

Carp

DCC 4Life
John Wayne, Bob Lilly...both were overrated.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I can recall several times where he was picked off because he was going for the big play rather than throwing to a receiver who was open underneath. It's just something you have to live with.
Romo is by now so used to having to do everything himself (like in the 2012 season opener) that it might be too late for him to change.

Even if we start running a real professional offense (line up right, stop leading the league in penalties, actually block the right people, seriously include RBs as receiving targets, and shorten some of the god damned pass patterns) Romo might still try and pimp out when he really doesn't need to.

You look at Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger and each runs a controlled passing game and only improvises if they absolutely have to. A good game for them can be pedestrian stats-wise and they don't care because it means everything went as planned.

In Dallas it seems nothing goes as planned, like ever (if there even is a plan).

Top Bottom