MacMahon - Garrett on rookie CB: 'Not allowed to have rough night'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett on rookie CB: 'Not allowed to have rough night'

August, 10, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

OAKLAND, Calif. – Jason Garrett isn’t pulling punches with the Cowboys’ draft class. He’s making a habit of ripping rookies.

Third-round safety J.J. Wilcox felt Garrett’s public wrath after a rough outing in the Hall of Fame Game. It was fourth-round cornerback B.W. Webb’s turn after a tough night in Friday’s 19-17 loss to the Oakland Raiders.

A bad night got worse for Webb when he muffed a punt in the fourth quarter, essentially gifting the Raiders what turned out to be the game-winning field goal. The Raiders had already picked on Webb in the passing game, and he also had a couple of costly missed tackles.

“You’re not allowed to have rough nights,” Garrett said when asked about Webb’s outing. “One of the things you're always looking for in any kind of player -- a young guy or a veteran -- is you want to make sure they respond to the success and adversity of the game. There were a couple of missed tackles early on from him, I thought he came back and tackled better and then he obviously he had the dropped punt.

“You're not allowed to have bad nights. You can never excuse your way out of it. You gotta keep battling, keep fighting and whatever opportunity you get, you got to make sure you take advantage of it.”

Wilcox responded well in his second preseason game, for the most part, leading the Cowboys with six tackles and picking off a Terrelle Pryor pass in the end zone. The safety volunteered that he took a poor angle on a missed tackle in the second half, but there’s no question he made progress after a poor preseason debut that was especially disappointing given the buzz Wilcox created with his practice performances.

In other words, Garrett got the intended result by publicly holding the rookie to a high standard, which Wilcox welcomes.

“When I was a little kid, my dad was on me hard,” Wilcox said. “When I got to college, my head coach was on me hard. Here, I see coach Garrett on me hard. I’ve been blessed and fortunate to have some coaches who really care about me and want to push me and see me do best.

“I think he got the best out of me this week.”

We’ll see how Webb responds.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
B.W. Webb draws wrath of Jason Garrett: You're not allowed to have bad nights

As a fourth-round draft pick, B.W. Webb's spot on the roster is all but guaranteed. The Cowboys have carried David Arkin, a fourth-round pick in 2011, for two years without him doing much of anything. But if Webb wasn't a high pick, he might be in danger of not making the roster.

The William & Mary product has struggled mightily thus far.

He had three tackles in 76 plays in the Hall of Fame Game against the Dolphins, giving up four passes for 29 yards while being targeted six times, according to Pro Football Focus. He had three tackles against the Raiders and was a favorite target of Raiders' quarterbacks. He also fumbled a punt.

As if it couldn't get worse for Webb, he was called out by his coach -- who rarely does that -- afterward.

"You are not allowed to have one of those nights," Garrett said. "One of things you are looking for in any kind of players, a young guy or a veteran is you want to make sure they respond to the successes and adversities of the game. He had a couple of missed tackles early on for him. I thought he came back and tackled better. Then, he had the dropped punt. You're not allowed to have bad nights. You never excuse it away to that. You have to keep battling, fighting, whatever opportunity you get, you've got to make sure you are taking advantage of it."
It is safe to say Webb will not be used on punts. His fourth-quarter muff was recovered by the Raiders at the Dallas 9, and they scored the go-ahead field goal.

"Certainly, he’s got enough skill and has done enough good things out there," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "We’ve seen him on punts and seen him have to get used to it. He’s not ready, as far as training camp is concerned, to drop back there and get under those punts. We saw that some in training camp. We’ve seen it. It was disappointing he couldn’t get his feet back under him and get back and at least recover the ball. First of all, it really gave us an uphill battle in the ball game. That will be something I’m sure he keeps in his mind."

-- Charean Williams

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
I like the accountability. But adding insult to injury - isn't our 2nd round pick also not allowed?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like the accountability. But adding insult to injury - isn't our 2nd round pick also not allowed?
I guess him blowing a couple of blocks was no big deal versus muffing a punt.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
I guess him blowing a couple of blocks was no big deal versus muffing a punt.
Bad enough we wasted a premium pick on a non-need position, never-will-be player. Nevermind create a double standard for players who "cannot afford" to have bad games. I hope Hanna steps up massively just to prove a point.

Cotton

Staff member
Bad enough we wasted a premium pick on a non-need position, never-will-be player. Nevermind create a double standard for players who "cannot afford" to have bad games. I hope Hanna steps up massively just to prove a point.
You mean like Bennett?

Cotton

Staff member
I think Bennett, despite his lack of a functional brain, was a better prospect. Better athlete, IMO.
He still will never turn into anything.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He just can't block at this point. He's just as much a liability as Livings and Bernadeau if he's doing it like that.

No wonder Rosario is here.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Garrett likes both Webb and Wilcox and is trying to push them...I applaud him for it. He has to do it with the rookies though IMO...it would come off as fake with the vets.

Cotton

Staff member
I think Garrett likes both Webb and Wilcox and is trying to push them...I applaud him for it. He has to do it with the rookies though IMO...it would come off as fake with the vets.
Are you referring to him not coming down on Escobar?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Are you referring to him not coming down on Escobar?
No...I think he'll get to him, but some coaches come down harder on players they think can do something. I think he likes both Wilcox andnWebb..so he is giving them the business now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No...I think he'll get to him, but some coaches come down harder on players they think can do something. I think he likes both Wilcox andnWebb..so he is giving them the business now.
I take it as he is still struggling being a "walk around coach" and is wasting time with the secondary. Meanwhile, a big time draft choice is looking like complete ass under his fricking nose.

He should be ripping Escobar a new one. If the idea is to have a kick butt NE 2-TE offense...he's a complete failure so far.

And don't give me shit about he can scheme this dork into being effective. From what I saw on those highlights, he looked like he was going though the motions just as much as how it looked like he got overpowered or whatnot.

Top Bottom