Machota - Eagles S Malcolm Jenkins: Dallas players are the problem

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The GM who didn't put enough talent on the defensive side of the ball, especially the DL and safety.
So you put none of the meltdown on the players? They have got to have some responsibility.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So you put none of the meltdown on the players? They have got to have some responsibility.
Picking bad players means the players are bad and should be replaced as well as the guy who picked them, so yeah, they get responsibility too. They get replaced as well.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
For not being good at football? Uh, sure, I guess. But neither am I and Jerry Jones shouldn't be drafting me either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Picking bad players means the players are bad and should be replaced as well as the guy who picked them, so yeah, they get responsibility too. They get replaced as well.
It's just too simplistic to say that every shortcoming of the Dallas team can be relegated to one person. There are too many components involved in the game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's just too simplistic to say that every shortcoming of the Dallas team can be relegated to one person.
It's not when one person puts himself as the bottom line decision maker who makes bad personnel decisions over and over again and is responsible for promoting the culture of underperformance and lack of accountability that ends up hurting the players on the field.

Which shortcoming doesn't lead back to a decision he made?

Romo throws too many INTs? It's been Jerry's policy not to challenge him. Straight from Jerry. The defense underperforms? Jerry is the one who has a massive boner for CBs and doesn't understand how to build championship defenses, and hires coaches who also don't understand.

Scheme a bad fit for personnel, causing them to underperform? Guess who decided to swap from 3-4 to 4-3 and from man to zone?

Offense too pass happy? Guess who didn't invest high draft picks in run blocking OLs for years (until Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick) and who employed the pass happy coach? Guess who didn't go out and get Tony Sparano to bring him back for some balance to the playcalling?

Coaches overall not good enough? Guess who hired them?

Scouts not good enough? Guess who hired them?

Jerry involves himself at the top level with every football decision this organization makes, and that's the genesis of all the bad performance all the way down. Bad decisions at the top.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
For not being good at football? Uh, sure, I guess. But neither am I and Jerry Jones shouldn't be drafting me either.
Players leave teams and work out well with other organizations. Some leave because they are cut and some leave for a better deal. Then there are some who just gold brick as long as they can. There are as many good players on the Dallas team as there are bad ones. They just didn't play well when the chips were down. That part is on the players and coaches.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Players leave teams and work out well with other organizations. Some leave because they are cut and some leave for a better deal. Then there are some who just gold brick as long as they can. There are as many good players on the Dallas team as there are bad ones. They just didn't play well when the chips were down. That part is on the players and coaches.
The character of the players you draft and especially the ones you give contract extensions to (Ratliff, Roy Lee Williams are glaring examples) is something a wise GM would consider before forking over the money, but Jerry lets himself get robbed over and over.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's not when one person puts himself as the bottom line decision maker who makes bad personnel decisions over and over again and is responsible for promoting the culture of underperformance and lack of accountability that ends up hurting the players on the field.
Whatever you want to say. There is no denying that Jones is more of a hindrance than a help but it's still letting the rest of the organization off the hook who are supposed to be professional coaches and players. Looking just at the defense alone last year, it wasn't Jones that put them in dead last place with a lot of the same players who a couple of years earlier were better than average.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And why do you think so many players in Dallas gold brick here, and then sometimes do well elsewhere?

Is it on the players for not trying hard here, but then wanting to do better elsewhere? If they are goldbrickers, why do they change when they leave?

Has it crossed your mind that it's the environment here? The one that has produced said goldbricking players for the last 18 years?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The character of the players you draft and especially the ones you give contract extensions to (Ratliff, Roy Lee Williams are glaring examples) is something a wise GM would consider before forking over the money, but Jerry lets himself get robbed over and over.
Pardon me for saying so Clay but it is laughable that Jones corrupted people like Ratliff and others. They were corrupted already to take the money and not deliver.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Whatever you want to say. There is no denying that Jones is more of a hindrance than a help but it's still letting the rest of the organization off the hook who are supposed to be professional coaches and players. Looking just at the defense alone last year, it wasn't Jones that put them in dead last place with a lot of the same players who a couple of years earlier were better than average.
Well they'll have to be replaced too.

But it doesn't make sense to have the guy who keeps picking failures to continue to pick.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Pardon me for saying so Clay but it is laughable that Jones corrupted people like Ratliff and others. They were corrupted already to take the money and not deliver.
Your reading comprehension is off. I said that Jerry was a fool to trust them, not that he "corrupted" them. Whatever that means.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And why do you think so many players in Dallas gold brick here, and then sometimes do well elsewhere?

Is it on the players for not trying hard here, but then wanting to do better elsewhere? If they are goldbrickers, why do they change when they leave?

Has it crossed your mind that it's the environment here? The one that has produced said goldbricking players for the last 18 years?
Because they can get by with it. Still they are capable. The coaches have some responsibility in this. You don't need to spend time telling me how inept Jones is, I already know that but there are others that share in the responsibility for the mediocrity. Ask yourself are you a professional and would you cut corners and compromise your ethics just because you could get by with it?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well Ratliff is a special kind of douche for sure, but Jerry promotes an aura of non accountability because he pampers them and eliminates discipline and penalties. Look at when Wade tried to discipline people, for as little as he did it, Jerry still stepped in and overruled.

So they don't work here because they don't have to.

I believe 100% that Jerry is to blame for guys like Miles Austin not getting right.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Because they can get by with it. Still they are capable. The coaches have some responsibility in this. You don't need to spend time telling me how inept Jones is, I already know that but there are others that share in the responsibility for the mediocrity. Ask yourself are you a professional and would you cut corners and compromise your ethics just because you could get by with it?
If I was going to get paid millions of dollars to not do my job, I'd probably end up slacking off a bit, yes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If I was going to get paid millions of dollars to not do my job, I'd probably end up slacking off a bit, yes.
And I suppose you would then blame someone else for your irresponsibility.

Top Bottom