Machota: Cowboys say they aren’t done in free agency, so here are 15 notable players still available

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones was raised by his father. But there are certain rules that the elder Jones did live up to.

1. He hated spending money, but he knew when to make a bold move to escalate the talent if it meant a substantial boost to the brand.
2. He invested in talent, regardless of the impact to culture of the football team.
3. The Franchise comes first. This is a business. Money for the family comes first.

Goof Son's Commandments?

I. The Jones BRAND of the Dallas Cowboys comes first. Then that other stuff about tradition, winning and glory.
II. Covet cap dollars and hoard them, even though is no reason to.
III. Managing the talent on the roster is always to be done with the cap in mind. There is a determined pecking order and that is baked into our culture. Players are here to be a part of and boost the brand.
IV. Make public displays about being diligent in terms of talent acquisition, yet exhibit no evidence of actually investigating the talent. It is good for the brand.
V. We will reward homegrown players who do well on occasion, even though this is a relatively easy concept but we market that activity to say to our fans that we are all about making Dallas a destination for free agents.
VI. The draft is the lifeblood. It is all about protecting the money, even though the cap does not exist.
VII. Outside free agents are to be best consumed cheaply, as in almost desperation cheap.
VIII. We can pretend we have a culture of winning because that is all a part of the brand building.
IX. Progress Stopper. Learn it. Live it. Love it.
X. The Jones BRAND comes first.

The free agency thing is pretty simple. He doesn't care. He gets his jollies off of gambling that some schlub that McClay dug up pays off. It is all about the books. That is where he wins and loses.

He operates in a silo of cap management. He does not treat the salary cap management for the imaginary plaything that it is.
In fact a lot of the shitty cap management issues we had until we finally fucking figured it out were on, guess who?

He also does not understand how mediocre the brand has become.

And he is fat and arrogant.

Garrett lasted 10 years because this fucking guy doesn't understand his role and I can't wait to see what a failure he will turn into trying to do it all. But he will try.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If I'm not mistaken, Jerry was a big advocate of the cap back in the day. He was delighted that he couldn't spend an infinite amount of his own money -- which he basically prints. He wants to win ... but not at any cost.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, Jerry was a big advocate of the cap back in the day. He was delighted that he couldn't spend an infinite amount of his own money -- which he basically prints. He wants to win ... but not at any cost.
It is that skinflint mentality that imprinted on his oh so stupid first born child.

This must have been how the feudal world was and we are the serfs.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He operates in a silo of cap management. He does not treat the salary cap management for the imaginary plaything that it is.
In fact a lot of the shitty cap management issues we had until we finally fucking figured it out were on, guess who?
This is the crux of things to me. His degree is in engineering, he doesn't have the same ability to bullshit/socially manipulate people and situations as Jerry, I think he's pretty pragmatic and calculating even if not extremely intelligent, and I think he cocooned himself in the financials/cap aspect of the football operation when he came on 30 years ago or whatever.

There's a reason he's the guy who was "putting Jerry against a wall" over the Deion contract when he was like 28 or whatever.

In lieu of actually being a legitimate football mind who can dynamically and creatively adjust and respond to evolving circumstances, evaluate talent and so forth, he's chosen to wrap himself in the cap stuff and has elevated it's importance (whether consciously or subconsciously) by seemingly creating these rigid standards by which they allocate cap space and make decisions on players.

I'll give him some credit for the draft stuff, we've been pretty great there and it's really been the only saving grace over the last 10 or so years, but Stephen definitely strikes me as a bean counter who has chosen to kind of mold the organization around that piece of the football operation because that's what he thinks he's good at.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "Jones" brand, he doesn't seem to play up the nonsense the same way as Jerry does, unless you mean he knows he has to keep Jerry comfortable and feeling like he's in power.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You know what, maybe it's lazy because he's a local, but I'm going to say I like this. Was a good college player but got kicked off the team. Probably won't make it but I like his profile.. Small, quick, good speed. Looks mostly like a punt returner... Would be great to get Lamb off that job.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You know what, maybe it's lazy because he's a local, but I'm going to say I like this. Was a good college player but got kicked off the team. Probably won't make it but I like his profile.. Small, quick, good speed. Looks mostly like a punt returner... Would be great to get Lamb off that job.

Yea I think he'd make a lot of sense as a PR/KR.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Feh.
Half those “moves” are useless at the NFL level.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Feh.
Half those “moves” are useless at the NFL level.
Yeah. The talent level in that league was surprisingly bad.

But anyways, Goof Son is probably getting his 30 minute mini-briefing on these clowns and calling it a day.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah but I don't mind giving the guy a chance at being a camp body. We don't exactly scream talent right now with Noah Fucking Brown as our fourth WR.
Exactly. Every player available right now is seriously flawed. So do we just not sign anyone? I don't understand the complaint.

I'm just surprised and happy it wasn't Lance Lenoir.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Exactly. Every player available right now is seriously flawed. So do we just not sign anyone? I don't understand the complaint.

I'm just surprised and happy it wasn't Lance Lenoir.
The complaint is this team isn’t getting better by signing USFL type clowns that Stephen scrapes off the floor, mostly because he’s afraid of using cap space on actual difference makers.

Top Bottom