Machota: Cowboys mock draft - Projecting Dallas’ picks in the first three rounds

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
GAINESVILLE, FL - NOVEMBER 12: Florida Gators offensive lineman O'Cyrus Torrence (54) during the game between the South Carolina Gamecocks and the Florida Gators on November 12, 2022 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida Field in Gainesville, Fl. (Photo by David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

By Jon Machota
Feb 20, 2023

Since Dane Brugler, The Athletic’s draft expert, published his Top 100 draft board last week, this seemed like a good time for our first Cowboys mock draft of the year. We’ll have full seven-round mocks in the near future, but this one will focus on the first three rounds.

The Cowboys have picks 26, 58 and 90 in those rounds. The picks below are made by using Brugler’s big board as a guide and Pro Football Network’s mock draft simulator.

Here are the results.

First round, No. 28 overall: O’Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida

Yes, the Cowboys have the 26th pick in this year’s draft. But the Cincinnati Bengals offered an interesting trade in the mock draft simulator when Dallas went on the clock at Pick 26. The Cowboys moved back two spots and also received the Bengals’ third-round pick, No. 92 overall. Dallas gave up Pick 26 and Pick 163. According to the NFL Draft trade chart, the two picks the Cowboys received added up to 792 points. The two picks the Bengals ended up with added up to 726.
https://theathletic.com/4199810/2023/02/15/cowboys-nfl-draft-big-board/
All of the top wide receivers and defensive linemen were off the board by Pick 26. The choice came down to an offensive lineman or cornerback. Several similar options were there, so trading back a couple spots made a lot of sense. Torrence ended up being the pick over Georgia CB Kelee Ringo.

One of the biggest reasons for the Philadelphia Eagles’ success this past season was the outstanding play of their offensive line. One of the biggest reasons the Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl was because of their offensive line. If the Cowboys don’t re-sign left guard Connor McGovern, drafting a left guard becomes a priority. And in this scenario, picking Torrence seemed like a good value, especially for an organization that has had so much success over the last 12 years drafting offensive linemen in the first round (Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, Tyler Smith).

Addressing outside cornerback wouldn’t be a bad decision here, either. Trevon Diggs is a two-time Pro Bowler. He’s entering the final year of his rookie contract. Dallas obviously wants to sign him long-term. But what if the two sides can’t come to an agreement? The Cowboys would be extremely thin at cornerback without Diggs. With him, they still need help at the position. DaRon Bland had an impressive rookie season. Dallas prefers him as an inside corner. Teams need three starting-caliber corners in today’s NFL. Kelvin Joseph and Nahshon Wright struggled when given the opportunity to start last season. Anthony Brown is an unrestricted free agent. Jourdan Lewis is entering the final year of his deal. Another young CB needs to be added, and at 6-2, 210 pounds, Ringo has the size the Cowboys covet.

Brugler ranked Torrence the 28th overall player in this class. He ranked Ringo 32nd.

“Considered a potential first-round pick last year, O’Cyrus Torrence didn’t necessarily need to transfer to Florida (from Louisiana),” Brugler wrote. “He wanted to prove himself against SEC competition, though, and that is exactly what he did with an impressive 2022 season. Torrence has the play strength and competitive appetite to be a plug-and-play starting guard.”

Others on the board at the time of the pick: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah; Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland; BJ Ojulari, DE, LSU; Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State; Cody Mauch, G/C, North Dakota State.

Second round, No. 58 overall: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

The Cowboys need a game-wrecker in the middle of their defense. And at this pick, addressing defensive tackle seemed like the best option. Others on the board at the time: Gervon Dexter Sr., DT, Florida; Tuli Tuipulotu, DL, USC; Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College; Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA; Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin.

Defensive tackle has been a position of need in Dallas for most of the last decade. The Cowboys have not had a player there that has been close to the elite defensive tackles that we’ve seen in the Super Bowls the last few years. Players like Chris Jones, Javon Hargrave, Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald, Vita Vea and Ndamukong Suh. Osa Odighizuwa is a good player, but the Cowboys need to do more to address the middle of their defensive line.

“The No. 1 player on Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List, Mazi Smith has a rare combination of power and athletic traits,” Brugler wrote. “He probably will never be a lineman who fills up the stat sheet, but he is an immovable object in the run game and has the heavy hands and upper-body strength to toss massive guards.”

Ohio State’s Zach Harrison (Joseph Maiorana / USA Today)

Third round, No. 90 overall: Zach Harrison, DE, Ohio State

Brugler had Harrison as the No. 66 overall prospect on his big board. If the Cowboys can get a pass rusher that high on their draft board at Pick 90, that’s some good value. Harrison (6-6, 266 pounds) makes sense because teams can never have enough pass rush and the Cowboys need to be prepared for the future. DeMarcus Lawrence battled through injuries during his ninth season. Dorance Armstrong is entering the final year of his contract. Getting another young edge rusher to add to the mix with Micah Parsons and Sam Williams doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

Wide receiver is an interesting position for the Cowboys in these mock drafts. While it’s a need as we sit here today, will it be when the draft arrives? Maybe the Cowboys make a move for a veteran. Maybe they sign someone like Odell Beckham Jr. in free agency. If they don’t address it by the end of April, do they feel like any of the wide receivers they can realistically get in this class will make an immediate impact? If not, do they really need to add another Jalen Tolbert in the second or third round? Although Mike McCarthy was the head coach of the Packers when they drafted Randall Cobb, he seems to prefer the bigger wide receivers who can play on the outside and inside in his West Coast offense.

Others still on the board at Pick 90: Jayden Reed, WR, Michigan State; Zach Evans, RB, Ole Miss; Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa; Jammie Robinson, S, Florida State; A.T. Perry, WR, Wake Forest; Braeden Daniels OT/G, Utah.
https://theathletic.com/4170858/2023/02/10/dallas-cowboys-nfl-draft-tight-ends/
Third round, No. 92 overall: Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan

Wide receiver, tight end, running back and quarterback all make sense for the Cowboys at some point. Schoonmaker, who Brugler ranked as his 100th overall player and seventh tight end, would be a nice addition if Dalton Schultz signs elsewhere in free agency. Schoonmaker is viewed as an all-around tight end who can help as a pass catcher and blocker. Tony Pollard and Ezekiel Elliott might be back next season — maybe only Pollard. Running back could become a bigger need between now and April. We’ll likely know a lot more after the scouting combine in Indianapolis at the end of the month.

And it shouldn’t come as a surprise to see the Cowboys draft a quarterback in the mid-to-late rounds. Cooper Rush and Will Grier were the No. 2 and No. 3 quarterbacks behind Dak Prescott in 2022. Rush should get some better opportunities on the free agent market. Dallas will likely fill his spot by adding a rookie QB to compete for the backup job. Brugler only had four quarterbacks in his top 100 and all were ranked inside the top 15.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
So the guy picked at 92 wasn’t a consideration at 90, but still was picked before those guys that were…?

tnt

Whoa An Active DCCer
Not a fan overall. If Zay Flowers is available in the 2nd, run with your card.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He will likely not be around in that range.
Strange things sometimes happen on draft day but I don't expect it either. If he is there it should be easy. But this scouting department really does love size and arm length. They just need to put more value in separation when it comes to receiver. You need guys who can just straight beat the guy across from them. We don't value that nearly enough. Guys like Gallup, Noah Brown and such just can't beat a simple man coverage most of the time.

So instead you'll get Rice who can't get separation to save his life but gosh he can catch a contested ball.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If they draft a guard in the first they pretty much have to trade Tyron Smith. I'm not a fan of that scenario.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If they draft a guard in the first they pretty much have to trade Tyron Smith. I'm not a fan of that scenario.
It's the wgas TE with the extra third instead of a rb that really pisses me off

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a fan of keeping Tyron around. Love the guy, love all that he has done but at his age and level of likelihood of injury I can't keep him around to be my LT. I'd be happy to keep him around as a swing tackle. But then he needs to be paid like a swing tackle. I just don't see a scenario where it feels worthwhile to keep him around. Just too injury prone and we have our new LT already here for peanuts.

Zeke and Tyron are among the 5 biggest cap hits for the Cowboys next year. If you want to know where the money for future Diggs, Parsons and Lamb money is going to come from you have to start clearing those guys out. Lawrence is up there too but his contract is basically unmoveable this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not a fan of keeping Tyron around. Love the guy, love all that he has done but at his age and level of likelihood of injury I can't keep him around to be my LT. I'd be happy to keep him around as a swing tackle. But then he needs to be paid like a swing tackle. I just don't see a scenario where it feels worthwhile to keep him around. Just too injury prone and we have our new LT already here for peanuts.

Zeke and Tyron are among the 5 biggest cap hits for the Cowboys next year. If you want to know where the money for future Diggs, Parsons and Lamb money is going to come from you have to start clearing those guys out. Lawrence is up there too but his contract is basically unmoveable this year.
I think they really try to ride Tyron Smith one last time.

• Dislike
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's the wgas TE with the extra third instead of a rb that really pisses me off
Put me down for no on Harrison too. I'm good with the first two picks. A bully in the run game and a bully stopping the run. I'm good with that.

Genghis Khan

I think Tyron as a swing tackle is a massive waste of resources.

I'd prefer starting him for the about 75% of the season he's likely to be healthy for. I think that's the best offensive line they'd be able to field.

But if the plan is for him to be a backup all year, they'd get a lot more mileage out of trading him, saving the cap money and getting a draft pick or two.

Genghis Khan

Does anyone really think he plays more than 8 games?

I do. Maybe he won't but I think it's a decent bet. He seemed fine the last month and a half of last year.

Peters is the guy I don't think would last more than a couple of games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do. Maybe he won't but I think it's a decent bet. He seemed fine the last month and a half of last year.

Peters is the guy I don't think would last more than a couple of games.
Over the last three years he has played 17 games if I'm not mistaken. That's like 33% of the games. The best he could do was 11 games. I'm not betting on him playing the majority of the games.

I'd trade him if there is any team gullible enough to think he can stay healthy. That's the move smart franchises make.

And I agree about Peters but if I brought him back it would definitely be as a swing tackle. And then you really are hoping you only need him a couple of games if at all.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I mean I'm sure he is but his body is breaking down. It's not likely to get better now.
At least he can still be a solid player when he is healthy(for him 80% or so) Zeke is just washed up I don't want him back even at vet min

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least he can still be a solid player when he is healthy(for him 80% or so) Zeke is just washed up I don't want him back even at vet min
Yeah I would take Tyron back on a reduced deal. But not at a 17 mil cap hit. Zeke I don't want period.

Top Bottom