Machota: Cowboys get positive Dak Prescott news and how they plan to move forward with Cooper Rush

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ARLINGTON, TX - SEPTEMBER 11: Cooper Rush #10 of the Dallas Cowboys drops back to pass against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at AT&T Stadium on September 11, 2022 in Arlington, TX. (Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota
43m ago

Dak Prescott had surgery on his right thumb Monday afternoon. The Cowboys quarterback was originally expected to miss at least a month and possibly two. But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says that’s no longer the case. During his weekly Tuesday morning appearance on 105.3 The Fan, Jones said Prescott is not going on injured reserve because the team now believes he will be able to return within the next four weeks. A move to the IR would prevent Prescott from playing in the next four games.

“We want him to be in consideration for playing within the next four games,” Jones said. “We feel very good after surgery, listening to the medical people that Dak has a real chance to be back out there, throwing the ball pretty quick. Nobody in medical knows those timelines good, but if we thought he wouldn’t be ready to go until after four games, we would put him on IR. We’re not doing that. We think he can come in and play, so we don’t want to not have him out there practicing, we want him getting prepared. We’ll see how he handles this thing, how it heals, mainly his strength, how he can grip the ball, what his status is.”

The early speculation was that Prescott might not return until the Cowboys traveled to Green Bay in Week 10. They now believe he could be back by Week 4 or 5.

“That’s not being optimistic,” Jones said. “The proof is that we got a good surgery, got a good technique. We feel better about it than we did Sunday night.”

Either way, the immediate focus shifts to who will be replacing Prescott. Cooper Rush will be the starter this week against the Cincinnati Bengals. His backup will be Will Grier, who will be elevated from the practice squad.

The Cowboys were originally expected to move Prescott to the injured reserve and add a third quarterback to the mix. In the 24 hours following Prescott’s injury, names like free agent Cam Newton, the NFL’s 2015 MVP, and 49ers backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo were mentioned most by media members.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan was asked Monday if Prescott’s injury opens up the possibility of trade talks with the Cowboys for Garoppolo.

“Just like all players, we’ll listen to anybody on anything,” Shanahan said. “That never changes for any player or coach. We’ll always listen to anybody.”
But a move like that would cost the Cowboys significant draft picks, which was always a highly unlikely possibility for a team built around drafting and developing.

“It’s unlikely that you’d have a veteran quarterback that could get in here and be ready to play as well as those guys can play,” Jones said Tuesday, referring to Rush and Grier, “even if you thought (that player) might have a talent advantage.”

Rush has been Prescott’s backup for the majority of the past five years. He has appeared in 11 games, completing 38-of-63 passes for 488 yards, three touchdowns, one interception and a 93.9 passer rating. His lone start came in last year’s 20-16 win over the Minnesota Vikings in Week 8.

“Coop’s been around here for a long time,” Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore said Monday. “We certainly know each other well. He knows the system well. … He’s really smart. He has a great ability to process defenses very quickly, get the ball out of his hand. I think he showed a number of different things that way when he played at Minnesota. When he’s had his moment, he’s taken advantage of it.

“His demeanor is really, really good. He handles the ups and downs that you inevitably go through in a season, a game, all those things. I feel like we’re fortunate to have a guy like that in this situation.”

The biggest difference when Rush started last year is that the Cowboys’ offense was much more dangerous than the group that managed only a field goal against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday. Two of Rush’s top five targets in that Minnesota game — Amari Cooper and Cedrick Wilson — are playing for other teams. The biggest positive is that Rush seemed to have a good rapport with CeeDee Lamb against the Vikings. Lamb, Dallas’ current No. 1 wide receiver, struggled Sunday, catching only two of his 11 targets for 29 yards. At Minnesota, Lamb caught six of his eight targets for 112 yards.

“(Rush) has been around for a long time,” Cowboys running back Tony Pollard said. “We have a lot of confidence in him. He can make all the throws on the field, make the right reads at the right times. He’s a guy that we definitely believe in.”

Before joining the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2017, Rush was a four-year starter at Central Michigan. He threw for 12,891 yards, 90 touchdowns and 55 interceptions in 50 games. His most notable collegiate performance came in the 2014 Bahamas Bowl. CMU lost 49-48 to Western Kentucky but Rush threw for 485 yards and seven touchdowns while the Chippewas scored 34 points in the fourth quarter.

Rush also gained recognition for his play during his first NFL preseason (2017), completing 38-of-51 passes for 398 yards, six touchdowns, no interceptions and a 135.9 passer rating.

“It’s just game one,” Prescott said after Sunday night’s loss. “Let’s not hit the panic (button) as if we just can’t do anything on offense. We have a great coaching staff, and they’ll get back in there and they’ll find the things we did well. Obviously, the things that we did bad start with the self-inflicting errors. So, we remove those, we give ourselves a better chance. And I know we’ll do that going forward. Our coaching staff will find the best position and best spot to put Cooper Rush in every game.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean the good news for Dak is that by the time he is back Gallup should also be back and he won't have to play with fucking Noah Brown and Dennis Houston at WR for the next few games.

The bad news is this team will be in such a hole by that point it might not matter.

p1_

DCC 4Life
From what I saw of a healthy Dak, I’m in no hurry to see a recovered broken passing handed Dak.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From what I saw of a healthy Dak, I’m in no hurry to see a recovered broken passing handed Dak.
Plus reinjury is a real possibility if he comes back too soon. Russell Wilson was ass coming back from his hand injury and it was the middle finger, not the thumb.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
One of Jerry's oldest and most time-tested snake-oil techniques is to oversell the comeback timeline for an injured player. I don't why it would surprise anybody. What Jerry fails to mention, however, is that even with Dak the offense pretty much sucked. And whatever else Dak is, he's not a good enough QB to carry a mediocre offense.

All this is just so expected. I know I don't post here very often and maybe my comments don't carry much weight, but I still wonder why anyone invests any emotional capital in being outraged by Jerry's endless bullshit?

On Sunday my wife asked me, "what time is the Cowboys game on?" I said I didn't know. I had no plans to watch it.

"What?" she said. "Why not?"

The better question was, why?

Got a good night's sleep. Didn't invest any time or energy getting worked up over what was really a crappy game and horrible performance. What's the point?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Also, we’re not moving him to IR because then fans would expect us to sign someone temporarily to the roster and we do t wanna spend anymore money on a season that won’t yield dick anyway.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Dak doesn't suck. Dak had a shitty game. Dak has won a lot of games. Dak just needs to win in the playoffs. Dak has already proven he doesn't suck like some of you claim. Dak will win the NFC East this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak doesn't suck. Dak had a shitty game. Dak has won a lot of games. Dak just needs to win in the playoffs. Dak has already proven he doesn't suck like some of you claim. Dak will win the NFC East this year.
Yeah fans are fickle, Dak doesn't suck. But the injury happened at a time when now the last memory is horrendous play.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He doesnt suck. He's just not good enough for where I want to be. He doesnt elevate anybody so you will always have to have a top WR corps. A top OLine. He requires too many other things to be the QB that I want.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
He doesnt suck. He's just not good enough for where I want to be. He doesnt elevate anybody so you will always have to have a top WR corps. A top OLine. He requires too many other things to be the QB that I want.
He had a really good regular season last year and other seasons. I get the lack of playoff wins. We didn't have an exceptional OL or exceptional WR corps last year either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He had a really good regular season last year and other seasons. I get the lack of playoff wins. We didn't have an exceptional OL or exceptional WR corps last year either.
I think people confuse exceptional with better than dog shit. If the Cowboys cut all their WRs tomorrow, who makes an NFL roster? I'd guess Tolbert and Lamb? Outside of that I'm not sure these other guys are even good enough to be an NFL teams fifth or sixth receiver. That's not just a "not exceptional WR corp." And hell Tolbert wasn't even active.

I leave out Gallup because well he isn't playing and probably should be on IR with Dak.

Last year our WR Corp was very good, but people talk like it was all time great. It didn't have any elite guys. Just 3 really good ones.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just not good enough for what I want. I had issues with his play last year as well. Decision making. Ball Placement. Lack of deep throws. Still a good QB. I just think this is as good as it gets for him and we should all want better.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The problem is, it's been many games now since he's played really well against a good team. If he played like he has at his best in the past, he'd be fine. But the arrow is not exactly pointing up, as Jerry says.

And judging by how he's handled some other injuries, I doubt he does very well rushing back ASAP from this broken hand. I mean it's not like he had a lot of velocity Sunday night with a perfectly good hand.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The problem is, it's been many games now since he's played really well against a good team. If he played like he has at his best in the past, he'd be fine. But the arrow is not exactly pointing up, as Jerry says.

And judging by how he's handled some other injuries, I doubt he does very well rushing back ASAP from this broken hand. I mean it's not like he had a lot of velocity Sunday night with a perfectly good hand.
This .

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brady's arm strength was noticeably superior, which shouldn't be the case at this stage.
I didn't notice any problems with Dak's arm strength other than when he was being hit while he threw. The main problem was some inaccuracy and just the fact that the guys he was throwing to were covered. (There may have been open guys, I couldn't see the whole field, but the guys he was throwing to weren't open for the most part, sans that pathetic miss to Brown)

Top Bottom