LOL @ the Redskins

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I better download those Go-Go Gophers cartoons while I still can.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep, there was a realtor somewhere that trademarked every possible name. I'm quite sure the fight is with him. He is going to lose because you have to be able to show you're actively using any trademarked name.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Nice to see some Native Americans weighing in and saying it SHOULD be named after Native Americans.
Snyder should do a clean break from NA stuff. Otherwise they'll be shaking him down for years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Snyder should do a clean break from NA stuff. Otherwise they'll be shaking him down for years.
Well he may go with the Redtails thing which means African Americans can shake him down.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wonder how long it will take someone to attack the name of the state of Oklahoma. I means Land of the Redman, in one of the Native American language.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I dunno, Redwolves sounds super lame to me. Pretty generic. Surprised there's some huge passion for that one.

Funny, Arkansas State was the Indians and went to the Red Wolves years ago.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Martin McCaulay certainly loves to grab trademarks.

When speculation began to swirl that the Washington Redskins might have to change their name, he went on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website and applied for a trademark for the name “Washington Pigskins.”

The 61-year-old has picked up a number of other potential options, having filed some 44 claims related to potential Washington team names. FOURTY FOUR!

“I can really see into the future on this issue,” McCaulay, who is now a 61-year-old actuary living in Alexandria, VA, told FOX5 in 2015. “Now when I look into the future, I see no change for 10 years, and then in 10 years, I see the name changing to the Washington Warriors. And if not the Warriors, then the Americans.”

Five years ago he had registered for trademark protection on the following Washington-based names: Americans, Bravehearts, Federals, Forces, Founders, Gladiators, Monuments, Natives, Pandas, Pigskins, Red-Tailed Hawks, Renegades, Sharks, Veterans, and Tribe.

“A squatter reserves a name with no intention to use it,” McCaulay told Richmond.com. “I went to the extreme of buying a lot of merchandise, making it my brand, and selling it.”

Since the team announced it was going to conduct a “thorough review” of its nickname July 3rd, McCaulay has been busy grabbing even more. McCaulay has recently filed applications for the following trademarks: Washington Redtails (July 7 and July 5), Washington Monuments (July 6), Washington Veterans (July 6), Washington Renegades (July 6), Washington Red-Tailed Hawks (July 4), and Washington Americans (June 18).

McCaulay told Richmond.com he sent a letter to the NFL last week offering his trademarks for free if it sped up the process of renaming.

“I don’t want to be the one who is an obstacle.”

___

I guess the trademark dispute isn't with this guy. This guys says he will give the name they want up for free.

Top Bottom