LOL @ the Redskins

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The title of this thread will be invalid after today.

Thanks Cancel Culture!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Even sadder; they won't even attempt to tweak the name/imagery to simply be acceptable, such as the Braves or Chiefs - my suggestion being the Washington Warriors.

Instead they are apparently gonna name the team after the military in some capacity. I assume like the Washington Generals or something.

Just sad.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I’ve never posted their team name on this site because there is too much negative history attached to it. Though I personally feel that way, I never called on them to change.

Names change all the time and for good reasons. No one will care in a decade or so. That franchise had great traditions, but has been shit on the field for almost 30 years. Their fight song, “Hail”, etc. is probably the one thing most affected.

Seriously doubted the name change from Bullets to Wizards actually saved any lives, but it’s a symbolic thing. A lot of people get shot in DC and it just didn’t seem right.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Even sadder; they won't even attempt to tweak the name/imagery to simply be acceptable, such as the Braves or Chiefs - my suggestion being the Washington Warriors.
The more-woke-by-the-day Junior Miller of the Ticket claims even "Warriors" shouldn't be the choice because it could still evoke Native American imagery. WTF? Now there's something wrong with "Warriors?"

This shit is so absurd.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The more-woke-by-the-day Junior Miller of the Ticket claims even "Warriors" shouldn't be the choice because it could still evoke Native American imagery. WTF? Now there's something wrong with "Warriors?"

This shit is so absurd.
So, now we are just going to wipe Native Americans from our culture completely? I would be pissed if I were them.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Eh, I feel like it hurts our own history.
I don't think it does at all, the Redskins are the ones who largely define and measure their history in relation to us. Whether they want to admit it or not their fanbase's entire identity revolves around vilifying the Cowboys and beating us, and as far as I can tell "We Want Dallas" from literally 40 years ago is seemingly their most proud moment.

They have a hint of a rivalry with the Giants and Eagles but at the end of the day they define themselves in relation to us and always have.

On the flip side, for the Cowboys the rivalry that existed from the 70's-early 90's is almost entirely gone. There have barely been 5 truly meaningful games between the teams in the last 20 years and if you're a Cowboys fan under the age of 30 the idea of a rivalry with the Redskins is laughable, aside from the mere fact that they're in our division.

In that same span we've played both the Giants and Eagles in the playoffs, of course they've both won Super Bowls during that time as well, and we've had season-defining games against one of the two almost every year since 2005.

What memorable games have we had against the Redskins that truly defined a season? 2005 with the two Moss bombs and getting blown out late in the year, as well as 2012, but what after that? I guess the game near the end of 2013 where Romo converted the 4th down to Murray to keep the season alive?

Over the span of 20 years that's a blip on the radar compared to the games we've had with the Giants and Eagles, and ultimately when we're talking about broader Cowboys history the Redskins are more of a complementary figure, one of many rivalries we've had over the years but not a central, franchise-defining figure like we are to them.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So, now we are just going to wipe Native Americans from our culture completely? I would be pissed if I were them.
Yep.

I'm hardly an expert and would never claim otherwise, but I picked up an admiration of Native American culture from my mom. I've also spent quite a bit of time in parts of Oklahoma that have high Native populations. I think their most of their culture and beliefs are incredibly interesting and admirable, and I especially love how their elders seem so dignified. So I hate to see them erased from sport because a bunch of woke white elites want to make themselves feel and look better.

If you want to change the name because "Skins" is in the name, I guess maybe I get that a little, but why eliminate the NA tie altogether? Just hate to see that. And I'm still not convinced the majority of NA people don't hate it also.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
yep. morning toast hasn't been the same since they eliminated the hot squaw on Land o' Lakes butter

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think it does at all, the Redskins are the ones who largely define and measure their history in relation to us. Whether they want to admit it or not their fanbase's entire identity revolves around vilifying the Cowboys and beating us, and as far as I can tell "We Want Dallas" from literally 40 years ago is seemingly their most proud moment.

They have a hint of a rivalry with the Giants and Eagles but at the end of the day they define themselves in relation to us and always have.

On the flip side, for the Cowboys the rivalry that existed from the 70's-early 90's is almost entirely gone. There have barely been 5 truly meaningful games between the teams in the last 20 years and if you're a Cowboys fan under the age of 30 the idea of a rivalry with the Redskins is laughable, aside from the mere fact that they're in our division.

In that same span we've played both the Giants and Eagles in the playoffs, of course they've both won Super Bowls during that time as well, and we've had season-defining games against one of the two almost every year since 2005.

What memorable games have we had against the Redskins that truly defined a season? 2005 with the two Moss bombs and getting blown out late in the year, as well as 2012, but what after that? I guess the game near the end of 2013 where Romo converted the 4th down to Murray to keep the season alive?

Over the span of 20 years that's a blip on the radar compared to the games we've had with the Giants and Eagles, and ultimately when we're talking about broader Cowboys history the Redskins are more of a complementary figure, one of many rivalries we've had over the years but not a central, franchise-defining figure like we are to them.
It is unfortunate that the Redskins have been so irrelevant for the past 20+ years but I do not agree that it has no bearing on us. I think it definitely subtracts from some of the Cowboys mystique and some of the league's mystique overall. Cowboys vs. Indians was kind of a historical hallmark (both in terms of football and pop culture) and a Thanksgiving staple.

Granted, I do not agree, and do not think the majority of the public or even the majority of Native Americans agree, with the changing of the name "Redskins," but if it had to go, why not at least preserve the logo, which is not offensive, and change the name to something honorable?

I do not understand whatsoever the wiping of all references to Native Americans. We have teams named after Europeans (the Fighting Irish), the name "Cowboys," itself refers to a white settler of a certain historical profession largely of Scotch/Irish/English descent, the "Patriots," is an ambiguous term but calling on English colonials from a certain time period in history. "Warriors," or something along those lines, such as "Braves," or "Chiefs," is a non-offensive reference to a historical aspect of those peoples, no more disparaging than "Cowboys," is - or the oft-suggested "Red Tails," as an homage to a historic black profession (African American Airmen during WWII).

I do not believe there is an actual logical explanation other than wanting to punish the organization and destroy something that was not politically correct for too long, so it must be erased. The same applies to the removal of Splash Mountain from Disney World. It's just about taking away at this point, not finding honorable or inclusive alternatives.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Redskins result: Another culture war win for corporate America and the media elite
by Timothy P. Carney, Senior Columnist | | July 13, 2020 10:25 AM
Print this article
An overwhelming majority of Native Americans are perfectly fine with the Washington Redskins’s name. When asked in a poll how the name Redskins makes them feel, the most common answer by American Indians was “proud.”

Yet in the name of the racial and cultural sensitivity of mostly white college professors and journalists, and corporations that would rather avoid having the controversy turned against them, the Washington Redskins will finally change their name.

It’s another win in a cultural battleground where the elite media and corporate America keep winning.

The Washington Post, FedEx (whose name adorns the stadium where the Skins play), Bank of America, and Nike all dedicated themselves to smashing the team’s name, along with the rest of the major liberal media and corporate America. And they won. Redskins owner Dan Snyder announced that he’s going to change the team name.

Since he’s revealing that corporate America is his real fan base, maybe Snyder should just license out the team name like he licensed out the stadium name. Call them the “Federal Express.” Or maybe name the team the “Washington Nikes” and hand all decision-making over to Colin Kaepernick.

Maybe Snyder should make a nod to the wealthy and most heavily educated northwest Washington, Montgomery County, and Fairfax County neighborhoods he’s catering to and call the team the Washington SuperZips. Considering that Nike will try to cancel George Washington next, a safer name might just be the “Beltway Insiders.”

Robert McCartney, a Washington Post reporter who (like his whole publication) put in years of activism trying to get the team name changed, has a good perspective Monday on the whole story.

McCartney, to his credit, dropped his crusade after the Washington Post's own poll found that 90% of Native Americans were unbothered by the name. McCartney has also long covered government and politics. He writes: “The biggest lesson is the power of money. The team announced the name review a day after FedEx — a major sponsor, which owns the naming rights for the team’s stadium — said publicly it had requested a name change. FedEx also sent a letter to the team saying it would remove its signage from the stadium after the 2020 season if the name isn’t changed. That would cost Snyder about $45 million in revenue."

“On the same day as FedEx’s action, Nike stopped marketing the team’s merchandise on its website, he wrote. "Shortly afterward, sponsors Pepsi and Bank of America called for a name change.”

Yup. This is the shape of the culture war today: Elite media and corporate America are on one side, and it’s the same side the Left is on.

Abortion’s defenders and other culture warriors on the Left see this. Liberal columnist Catherine Rampell of the Washington Post wrote last year (numbering added) “When our [1] political system fails us, when our [2] electoral system fails us and when [3] even our judicial system fails us, can corporate America serve as our final firewall against terrible state policies designed to rob women of their reproductive autonomy?”

She meant, in effect, that when [1] the elected politicians don’t agree with the Washington Post, when [2] most voters in a state don’t agree with the Washington Post, and when [3] maybe, for a brief instant, some judges drop their assault on the constitution and democracy and allow a policy to stand that the Washington Post dislikes, the Left and the Washington Post can always rely on big money to oppose the conservative majority.

Abortion, gay marriage, radical gender ideology, and immigration — on every major culture war issue, corporate America is taking sides with the Left. (They also side with the Left on many economic issues too.)

This is how we can expect the culture wars to continue. Regardless of public opinion, elite opinion will shape corporate opinion, corporate opinion will win the day, and the Left will celebrate it as a win for the little guy.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I do not understand whatsoever the wiping of all references to Native Americans. We have teams named after Europeans (the Fighting Irish), the name "Cowboys," itself refers to a white settler of a certain historical profession largely of Scotch/Irish/English descent, the "Patriots," is an ambiguous term but calling on English colonials from a certain time period in history.
Critics would say that unlike Cowboys, Fighting Irish and Patriots, it's one race appropriating the symbols and traditions of another race.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom