LOL @ the Giants

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Golladay, Slayton, Shepherd, Rudolph and Engram ain't too shabby. And if Barkley is healthy, that's another weapon. I also like Jones more than most. I wouldn't count on Dak alone to be the difference between us and Wash or NY.
Daniel Jones is league-average at absolute best and their WR's are all a step lower than top-end for what they are. Golladay is a top end 2/low end 1, and Slayton and Shepherd are top end 3's/low end 2's, so I guess they're pretty set as far as their WR3.

Engram is good when he's on, but not elite, and extremely inconsistent while Rudolph is on his last legs.

The only chance they have of winning 8 or more games is Barkley completely going off and their defense remaining stingy so they can cobble together enough 20-17 wins.

And this isn't even getting into their average at best OL and Garrett calling plays.

If this were the Cowboys you'd be lamenting how shit our offense is but because it's the Giants you want to play this woe is me bullshit about how they might actually be good?

No, they more or less suck and if they win 8 games you'd have to consider that good.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Daniel Jones is league-average at absolute best and their WR's are all a step lower than top-end for what they are. Golladay is a top end 2/low end 1, and Slayton and Shepherd are top end 3's/low end 2's, so I guess they're pretty set as far as their WR3.

Engram is good when he's on, but not elite, and extremely inconsistent while Rudolph is on his last legs.

The only chance they have of winning 8 or more games is Barkley completely going off and their defense remaining stingy so they can cobble together enough 20-17 wins.

And this isn't even getting into their average at best OL and Garrett calling plays.

If this were the Cowboys you'd be lamenting how shit our offense is but because it's the Giants you want to play this woe is me bullshit about how they might actually be good?

No, they more or less suck and if they win 8 games you'd have to consider that good.
Never said they were on par with our offense. But if Jones takes a step up, as most YR3 QBs do, it's not inconceivable that they win this so-so division. Their ability to protect Jones remains to be seen.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Never said they were on par with our offense. But if Jones takes a step up, as most YR3 QBs do, it's not inconceivable that they win this so-so division. Their ability to protect Jones remains to be seen.
If all teams were theoretically completely healthy I think the Giants are a step below us and the Skins, they'd need a pretty sizeable run of luck to jump both and/or a gargantuan jump from Jones which he has shown no indication of being capable of.

It'd have to be a Josh Allen-type leap which seems...not very realistic.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But if Jones takes a step up, as most YR3 QBs do
Do you think this is actually true? I'd assert the opposite is true.

There's a reason why the league is littered with QB busts and about half the league is looking for one at any given time.

Most QBs don't actually step up in year 3.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Do you think this is actually true? I'd assert the opposite is true.

There's a reason why the league is littered with QB busts and about half the league is looking for one at any given time.

Most QBs don't actually step up in year 3.
Unless you're stellar from Day 1 (Marino, Mahomes), Y3 is a typical "put up or shut up" year. Even guys like Christian Ponder or Blaine Gabbert should be significantly better in Y3 as opposed to their rookie season. If they aren't, it's time to cut bait.

Genghis Khan

Unless you're stellar from Day 1 (Marino, Mahomes), Y3 is a typical "put up or shut up" year. Even guys like Christian Ponder or Blaine Gabbert should be significantly better in Y3 as opposed to their rookie season. If they aren't, it's time to cut bait.

I don't disagree here, but you said most QBs step up in year 3 and that's what I don't think is true.

The question isn't whether this is a pivotal year for Jones (it definitely is), but rather whether it's likely that he'll step up and be viable going forward. Most QBs fail that test and I haven't seen anything from Jones to suggest he'll be good enough.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't disagree here, but you said most QBs step up in year 3 and that's what I don't think is true.

The question isn't whether this is a pivotal year for Jones (it definitely is), but rather whether it's likely that he'll step up and be viable going forward. Most QBs fail that test and I haven't seen anything from Jones to suggest he'll be good enough.
I think the better way to phrase it is, if a QB hasn't stepped up by year 3 he isn't going to.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I don't care what anyone says. Jake Locker will be great if he sticks with it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I thought Jones had something when he first played. But the fact that he regressed and still hasn't gotten any better, or even has continued to get worse? He probably doesn't and won't have anything.

Fortunately, he has Garrett and not someone like Norv Turner.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought Jones had something when he first played. But the fact that he regressed and still hasn't gotten any better, or even has continued to get worse? He probably doesn't and won't have anything.

Fortunately, he has Garrett and not someone like Norv Turner.
I've never thought Jones had it. Just always looks like such a bumbling mess in the pocket. His pocket presence has just been so horrible I don't think it's fixable.

Genghis Khan

I've never thought Jones had it. Just always looks like such a bumbling mess in the pocket. His pocket presence has just been so horrible I don't think it's fixable.
Yep, same issue I see with Wentz. Even when he was putting up numbers he always looked extremely uncomfortable. Bumbling mess is a good way to put it. Both probably should have sat for a year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep, same issue I see with Wentz. Even when he was putting up numbers he always looked extremely uncomfortable. Bumbling mess is a good way to put it. Both probably should have sat for a year.
Or three

Top Bottom