LOL @ the Giants

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why is everyone yelling at Jason Garrett? Frustration with Giants offensive coordinator is growing within the ranks
Updated: 8:07 a.m. | Published: 7:15 a.m.

By Zack Rosenblatt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

When Jason Garrett was the Dallas Cowboys head coach, he was no stranger to getting yelled at during games by a big-money wide receiver. Dez Bryant and Garrett didn’t exactly get along.

Last year, Golden Tate looked to the sideline, toward Garrett, after making a catch and yelled: “Throw me the damn ball!” He screamed again, this time into a camera, after scoring a touchdown. He was suspended for a game.

And then on Thursday night, it happened again: Wide receiver Kenny Golladay was caught on camera late in the Giants’ 30-29 loss against Washington, yelling at his offensive coordinator.

At this point, Garrett might want to invest in some noise cancellation headphones.

The point: Golladay — and, apparently, rookie receiver Kadarius Toney — aren’t the first players to be upset about the way Garrett is (or isn’t) calling plays for them. Initially, it was believed that Golladay was actually yelling at quarterback Daniel Jones. But Golladay — without being directly asked — clarified that on Monday, saying Garrett was the target of his ire.

“Me and him spoke right after the game,” Golladay said. “It was literally nothing.”

Clearly, there’s something to the frustration skill players seem to have playing for the offensive coordinator. Garrett was the target of ridicule from Cowboys fans for most of his nine-year tenure as head coach. Giants fans, many of whom questioned the hire in the first place, felt vindicated when Garrett coached the Giants into the 31st scoring offense in the NFL last year while the quarterback regressed: Daniel Jones dropped from 24 touchdown passes to 11.

In a high-scoring, pass-happy league, the Giants couldn’t score points and their passing attack was anemic. So that’s why general manager Dave Gettleman cut the unproductive Tate, signed Golladay, a free agent, to a $72 million contract and drafted Toney in the first round, adding skilled playmakers to a group that included receivers Sterling Shepard and Darius Slayton.

In Week 2, Garrett had his best game as coordinator and the offense scored 29 points. But for the second consecutive week, Golladay was mostly an afterthought when it mattered. In Week 1, Golladay had one target through three quarters. In Week 2, Golladay was targeted eight times but only on first or second down. He had seven catches (on 14 targets) for 102 yards.

“Do I feel like I’m sitting on a big game?” Golladay said, laughing. “Of course. I come to every game thinking I’m going to have a big game.”

Here’s the thing: Golladay likely is not the only player frustrated with Garrett’s play-calling, which is often best described as “conservative.” That was never more true than in the fourth quarter in Week 2 after cornerback James Bradberry intercepted Washington quarterback Taylor Heinicke with 2:22 left in the game.

The Giants started their drive at Washington’s 20-yard-line and Garrett — along with head coach Joe Judge — called two running plays and a pass to Sterling Shepard behind the first-down marker that fell incomplete anyway. The Giants settled for a field goal, and Washington marched up the field and — give two chances — made the game-winning field goal.

Some players on the Giants defense assumed the game was over after Bradberry’s interception, including Bradberry.

“I really don’t try to have too much thought on the offense and what they do. But at the end of the day, I can’t control it,” Bradberry said after the game. “I don’t make any play calls. I play corner and that’s what they ask me to do and it’s what I give them.”

But did he think the game was over?

“I did. I did,” he said. “It’s very disappointing.”

Giants defensive back Logan Ryan went a little deeper on the disappointment on Monday.

“James Bradberry made a play to win the game for us at the end of the game,” Ryan said. “Analytics probably show that we probably could’ve won the game after that play, and we unfortunately didn’t.”

There is support for Garrett. He and Jones get along — they hold throwing competitions at the end of most practices — and running back Saquon Barkley insisted after the Giants scored 13 points in Week 1 that “we believe in Coach Garrett.”

Golladay didn’t refer to him as Coach Garrett on Monday, only “JG,” his initials.

“I’m happy with my role,” Golladay said. “I’m getting put in some tough situations and I’ve got to make some tough catches. That’s all I could ask for.”

He was clearly asking for more from Garrett, though. And he’s not the only one.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Love to see it, but hate that the NY sportswriters have more balls than our own and aren't afraid to write about it. Get enough public pressure out there, and the Giants are more likely to make a change. Garrett needs at least another 8 or so years there in NY.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Funny how different his experience is when his status isn't completely protected by the ownership.

That accountability thing sure is a bitch, eh?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Sucks to hear about Gates' injury possibly being career-ending.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Good thing there are a bunch of highly rated QB's coming out this year.

Oh...wait.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah but there are always guys to elevate.

Now it is Corral from Ole Miss and the kid from Liberty.
I'll have to watch Corral closer but I can guarantee you that Willis is going to be a huge project for whoever takes him, like, more raw than Fields.

No chance he's a "can't miss" type prospect.

Top Bottom